Author Topic: Why move when mining?  (Read 572 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Why move when mining?
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:09:21 am »
I have tried searching these forums for discussions on things like this.

In my own opinion, I think it is annoying and unrealistic to have to move a few steps after getting some ore when mining.
It also doesn't stop boting, maybe makes it harder.

What's everyones opinions on this?
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
Re: Why move when mining?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:28:55 am »
It's annoying only if you are using a bot, or intend to. As for realism, there are things much more unrealistic for me, like transparency when sneaking or pet /follow.
So, I'm assuming you are capable to use a bot even if it's harder?  :thumbdown:
Mining it's a hard work, let's make it harder for realism sake  ;D

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:49:49 am »
That aspect of moving doesn't bother me too much although its implementation where you can sometimes not move enough does. What bothers me more is when you start typing during a long duration action such as some repair and because your chat window wasn't focused, you hop. sidle or whatever and your time is wasted. The fact that the stop working function doesn't cancel the action cleanly just adds to the pain.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:02 am »
Actual mines tend to grow in their excavations because areas get exhausted and the miners have to move to a different area for ore. The realism canard is a red herring. 99.9% of this game is not realistic and never will be. Its a computer program. But the moving after successfully mining, is actually realistic in my opinion. I would actually like to see it give ore, and maybe a little crystal of different types. Like that other game whose name shall not be mentioned.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »
I made this a poll for the devs use obviously. I am guessing players opinions aren't wanted yet AGAIN... :thumbdown:

I am too dumb to know how to make a bot and too smart to know to not bot.

I mostly find the moving part annoying because my laptops frame rate is very slow, and it, for some reason, doesn't work that fast with the keyboard. So I might click 'E' to sidestep but it goes a little slow and I always get the whole "cant dig in the same spot" message.

I don't think it makes sense or is logically realistic to move, I don't really understand verdens point, because really if a part of a mine gets exhausted I don't think it will be replenished by the time you get another ore two steps away, possibly a few seconds later. However, I can understand having to move after you have mined (Whether successful or not) 10-20 times in one spot, to stop you from digging yourself in a hole that you won't be able to get out of.

I also made this idea in the wishlist
For example, you do:
/dig iron
you begin to dig for [random number] seconds
you just got some iron ore (so fully taking away unsuccessful, and increasing the time of mining)

No unsuccessful's, so what I am trying to say, is that the time of digging is increased but the probability is the time of digging not whether you are successful or not. But the probability will need to be balanced to how it is now, and higher levelled players in Mining get lower waiting time for them to get ore.
A bit off topic.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:38:27 am »
Thats what I meant about realism being a canard. Realistic to me, but not to you. Mining in PS is just an idea that represents mining in the real world. Having it so that you could take 3-5 hits on one spot before having to move wouldn't be a bad thing.

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »
I made this a poll for the devs use obviously. I am guessing players opinions aren't wanted yet AGAIN... :thumbdown:

If they didn't want your opinion, then the forum wouldn't exist.