Author Topic: Correspondence training  (Read 767 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Correspondence training
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:20:17 am »
Simple. Pay a little extra to not have to go to your trainer.  :)

Basically once you rank up, a pop up message asks you whether you want to use a X (Groffel or Messanger) to get your next training for XXX extra amount of trias.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
Re: Correspondence training
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:37:34 am »
Totaly unrealistic.No.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:09:46 pm »
To make that even slightly more realistic, you would have to make it take longer to train that lv of skill, then it would if you trained with the trainer.Training with a trainer, IC'ly is hands on training, a messanger would mean written instructions, and physical things, are hard to do, with written instructions.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
ICly can only be the magical transference of knowledge followed by a period of practice for it to set into the mind. There is no hands on, you pay your money and walk away.

I could see it costing more and taking longer as the trainer would need a stronger, less efficient spell to transfer the knowledge.

One thing seems certain you would need to make arrangements with the trainer before hand. I think it would be better for trainers to offer package deals so you could buy 1 level, 5, 10 or all levels of his training at once if you have the money and pps but I doubt the devs would agree.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:28 am »
One thing seems certain you would need to make arrangements with the trainer before hand. I think it would be better for trainers to offer package deals so you could buy 1 level, 5, 10 or all levels of his training at once if you have the money and pps but I doubt the devs would agree.

I like that idea.

@ Catlemur - Well, really it's as realistic as training gets these days. When you buy training from the trainer, it takes 0.0001 of a second for the trainer to teach you. Also the fact that some people can learn by themselves IRL (like people have learnt to play musical instruments without any lessons from anyone), whereas in the land of Yliakum that's impossible.

@Earowo - Diagrams shouldn't be too hard to follow.

I think it's realistic enough for a game.
There really should be 3 ways of training, training by your self without any lessons (Hardest way), Training through Correspondence (Medium way), Direct training from trainer (Easiest way).

Mind that, I'm sure Yliakum has some very rural areas, and some farmers (or whatever else) would have to teach their children how to fight through a correspondence system, or a system like what Bilbous said.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:33:37 am »
Come on vaka, your char was raised in an rp orientated guild, you know as well as i do, that a button click, and .0000001 seconds to get ready to train is mechanics, not IC :P
If you want, im sure the devs could make a timer so you have to wait x ammount of minutes/days to be able to train a skill after talking to the trainer.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:41:16 am »
I am playing hockey in a team and seriously how will my trainer teach me the technic via internet?Even with magic it sounds weird.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:41:02 am »
Come on vaka, your char was raised in an rp orientated guild, you know as well as i do, that a button click, and .0000001 seconds to get ready to train is mechanics, not IC :P
If you want, im sure the devs could make a timer so you have to wait x ammount of minutes/days to be able to train a skill after talking to the trainer.

I never said it's IC, I basically said it's the same as it is today.

I doubt the devs would. Remember PlaneShift's a game. Not your life, it shouldn't take you a whole hour to get through a lesson in something.

And lastly I was raised in The Warriors, not the biggest RP orientated guild out there. Yes I'm in KIC, yes we are RP orientated, yes I understand the boundaries between realism and it still being treated like a game.

I am playing hockey in a team and seriously how will my trainer teach me the technic via internet?Even with magic it sounds weird.

I could easily learn how to play hockey through some written information and diagrams.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:43:06 am by Vakachehk »

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:02:52 am »
You can never learn a sport just by learning the theory.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:44:31 am »
You can never learn a sport just by learning the theory.

You're not learning the theory. A diagram would be describing how to do the physical part of the lesson. Like an Origami Book, hard to follow but you'd get there after a while.

Anyways, everyone knows it's possible to learn how to fight without getting some professional lessons.

However, I can understand you not being able to use Correspondence for the higher levels, as that is mastering something.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 03:54:08 pm »
vakachehk, people learn through example. reading a diagram won't teach you a skill. you need a real, living teacher. so, this suggestion doesn't make much sense. by the way, origami is a lot easier than martial skills.

it is NOT possible to learn how to fight well without getting professional lessons. there are lots of douchebags who claim they can fight by teaching themselves, by themselves. they can't. and fighting requires an opponent. to learn to fight, you need another person. the trainer fills this role as well.

it's harder to learn basic skills than the more complex ones. this is because you have absolutely no previous training. your movements and thought processes are much less refined than anyone with half the training to become a master.