Author Topic: Chat Tracker  (Read 1179 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Chat Tracker
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 08:59:59 pm »
Ok aiwe. Thank you for the patch, that was what I wanted. :D

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 04:11:28 pm »
Throwing in my opinion from the point of view that I like things to be easy and not require much extra work on my part... an automatic way to accomplish this would be more useful. Right now, we see players chat from those close enough. Suppose instead, duplicates of that method are used for 2 varying distances from a character.

The closest chat could be in white, then chat from further away a dimmer color. The closest distance could be set to fairly close to a character to limit it to something like a group sitting around a table while the second distance could remain as it is now.

I know this wouldn't help in the case of differentiating a longer range conversation from that of others or work entirely well in a very crowded shoulder to shoulder situation, but it would have the advantage of working all by itself.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »
Quite a smart and very good idea! \\o//

The closest chat could be in white, then chat from further away a dimmer color. The closest distance could be set to fairly close to a character to limit it to something like a group sitting around a table while the second distance could remain as it is now.

I know this wouldn't help in the case of differentiating a longer range conversation from that of others or work entirely well in a very crowded shoulder to shoulder situation, but it would have the advantage of working all by itself.

Might be hard for people with eye problems? Well I don't know as I don't have any :-\
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 04:38:37 am »
No eyes - or no problems?! :P

It took me a lot of time to optimize the chat colors so that they blend well between channel base color and  existing highlight colors. I wonder if I can squeeze another color in between and enjoy the results... ;)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 07:22:48 am »
Aww, more the input I like..but I fear in this case I can't help Dannae. Coloring depending on actual distance from the speaker would need server support...so nothing I can provide.

For LigH..only need to squeeze one color in the main chat....not all other tabs. The coloring is only done for he main chat...Actually I even added code to make sure it's only for the main chat, so it could be easily used for other tabs as well but I don't think that makes any sense.

Maybe I find some time on the weekend to finish this patch, no promises there but it shouldn't be much more work...then it's only up to the current active players to cry loud enough to get it included.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »
No eyes - or no problems?! :P

LigH you're so specific, how about you find me in Faces Behind the Players and see if I have eyes. :P
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »
While I like Gilrond's regex idea as well I think this is a different topic. I just don't think it's possible to offer the freedom Gilrond wants and the easiness Illy needs with the same solution.(Yeah Yeah...of course you can do everything Illy wants with regex too...but for making it quickly usable for every player during a fast conversation in Kada El's it would need a huge front-end with predefined regex for certain use-cases already that can be invoked with almost no overhead for the player).

This reminds me:

https://www.xkcd.com/208/

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »
We need bicycle repair man!

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 09:21:23 am »
Hey all.

Aiwendil pointed me towards this patch. What are the thoughts on adding this to the client (more positive comments means it might happen quicker).

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 11:42:37 am »
In my opinion it could be a useful addon, but it needs to be practical. I see the solution with chat commands, it seems a bit slow to me especially if you are in a crowded area and you need to quickly add people to the list.
Probably I'd create a separate window like the friend list, but populated with the names of the people not too far from you (this needs to be defined better, I know!  ;D ): a checkbox near each name could be (probably), practical enough to add people to the list.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:51 pm »
Having a client side list which somewhat automates this would be nice. But that isn't something I can make, nor is it something anyone in the team right now has the time to make. So right now, the only way this will be in the client is "as is".

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 01:25:59 pm »
Better than nothing!   :)
After all, once implemented, it can be refined later!  :)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 01:38:16 pm »
Exactly my thinking  :)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 02:53:19 pm »
 \\o// I've been wondering about this.

Hey.... Did someone see Aiwe? Quick! Someone catch him! :D

bilbous

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 11:14:04 pm »
it is kind of too bad that the text window doesn't support an alpha channel whereby more distant speakers text are more transparent and thus harder to read. you could then have tags such as <loud> which would reduce transparency and <quiet> which would increase it. you could also have a <focus> tag that would let you adjust who you were paying attention to.

adding this patch seems like a good idea, though. how many people have actually used it?