Author Topic: Response to Poliero's arrogant flame  (Read 5298 times)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: Response to Poliero's arrogant flame
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 11:53:05 am »
You should probably attempt to refute what he said then. Speaking in Latin doesn't automatically make an argument sound :P
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 01:32:13 pm »
Speaking in Latin doesn't automatically make an argument sound :P
Nor is it sound to converse with one who does not wish to listen more so than to talk.

Allow me to take a deeper look into what was previously labeled as "unnecessarily prosaic way of expressing oneself."

If you take into consideration Attersson's overly enthusiastic love for literary art, you may notice certain correlations between what he speaks and how he does.
To raise an obvious example,
"Ways often show the personality of the practitioner" -- I cannot help but notice, the same is expressed through the chosen style ('way', as Phinehas himself called it), yet about the author, and his written art. It is commonly accepted, in much the same manner as what Attersson came to present, that how one speaks, expresses who they are. For this reason, it is only logical to assume the words uttered by the "practitioner" of the given language will usually reveal greater or lesser part of their personality. Perhaps this was Attersson's inspiration?
Perhaps not. But let us move on.
"It is my belief and that of the practitioners of the Blue Way (which isn't my favourite Way, despite what one could infer), that Blue Way assumes the use of Intelligence as intrinsic."
Intelligence. The very same part of one's personality that allows them to construct complex sentences and place them in a coherent structure. Which is but saying, the very same part of one's personality that allowed Attersson to construct the complex commentaries about the Blue Way which we may now experience. Again, correlation between ways of magic and ways of using language are created. Perhaps it would be then sound to give more focus to the structures created by the many languages? Perhaps it would be of some use to observe how languages evolve; how they change along with the societies? Perhaps magic ways are not merely fixed phonomena that their users may, at best, interpret. Perhaps, just like dialects in a language, they are expressions of the society that for any one user may turn into their own personal idiolect?
"yet the fact stays that endless potentialities are seen, where the "how" to achieve them is just a way"

Of course, all of this may be merely my own biased observation, induced by nothing but my interest in structures of various languages. But that is the point. A memorable literary piece is the one open to various interpretations. It is not something you can achieve by a blatant piece of text. And it is not something one would expect from a person obsessed with this form of art.

That, and I would question authority of one, who makes a blatant mistake in a rather simple sentence about education.
"I am not saying you are educated"
AKA Skald

neko kyouran

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 01:35:20 pm »
if you two can't get along, i'm going to have to separate you....play nice now.  :)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 01:57:50 pm »
Don't worry Neko, just a discussion. =]

What you said is valid but at the heart of it, it is only an opinion, much the same as what Phinehas said. Writing is an art and therefore it is impossible to say what will better it and be completely correct. It does not have an objective basis. One person may adore it and another hate it. I think Phinehas has sufficient experience with writing to express his critical opinion, opinion being the main word there.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 02:05:01 pm »
What you said is valid but at the heart of it, it is only an opinion, much the same as what Phinehas said.
World would be all the more pleasant... if you could simplify things like this.
AKA Skald

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 02:27:03 pm »
That is the nature of arts. They are subjective, sciences are objective. Art yields no facts, only opinions.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 02:54:56 pm »
You have to realise apart from opinions and facts (both of which actually appear in sciences), the world also knows contexts, objectives and difference between words 'opinion' and 'interpretation'.
AKA Skald

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 03:11:14 pm »
I would disagree about the comment on science but that is another discussion altogether. As for the rest, there is no universally good piece of writing. That means that it is subjective and neither you or Phinehas can be totally correct.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 04:00:49 pm »
Berger perhaps? I'm not familiar with any of his work save the title of that particular work so I don't know how deep the similarities actually are.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 04:18:50 pm »
Well he was born in said year and city and developed a theory I haven't read up on but know to be called 'Society as Objective Reality and as Subjective Reality.' Figured it was a hit. Anyway, yeah, we shall drop it.

Phinehas

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 07:46:41 pm »
All I have to say Draklar is that I'm surprised at your desire to come into a thread and pick at the most insignificant part of one of my posts. My interest was in the substance of what Atterson was saying, not his style. The comment on the style was added as an afterthought, nothing more. Yes, I daresay that you pulled my literary opinion to pieces, and I don't care(not that I didn't notice a mistake or two in your own post) because it really had nothing to do with the real substance of what I really wanted to discuss. Congratulations on unnecessarily spamming a thread.

Also, your pretty words and supposed aloofness isn't fooling me, I've known you a tad too long for that, my friend. ;)

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 04:35:09 am »
Also, your pretty words and supposed aloofness isn't fooling me, I've known you a tad too long for that, my friend. ;)
Then you will also know what vocabulary and structures I used were used merely out of respect for the initial post.
AKA Skald