Author Topic: C-Y-O: Obscure word of the week.  (Read 9605 times)

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
C-Y-O: Obscure word of the week.
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:06:07 pm »
Expand your vocabulary and shock your friends!

Greetings, players of PlaneShift and forum dwellers. We bring to you a challenge in the form of a single word. Your task is to use this word in a sentence meaningful to the In-Character world of Yliakum.  Your sentence can be about your character, NPCs, Settings Lore, locations, etc. Do not make it about OOC matters such as players, GMs, or bugs.

If you wish, you may use the word in a small paragraph to help define the word. Others should be able to gather the meaning of the word from the context of your writing. In the example of 'plethora',

"There was a plethora of dwarves." -is not a good submission.

A Klyros stumbles out of Kada's, gasping for air. He looks around and exclaims, "The tavern is filled with a plethora of dwarves! You can't spit without hitting three of them." -is a good submission.

We will assign a new word every week. Have fun and be creative.

Past words of the week:
Plethora- an extreme excess.  Winner: Lolitra Purrty
Brumous - misty. Winner: Zorbels
Fremescence- building din, often (obscurely) used in describing the murmur of a crowd. Winner: Lolitra Purrty. Honorable mention to Prolix for use of the word in the game.
Evanescence- A fading or Vanishing. Winner: A group effort this time, for helping each other in the usage of the ward. Well done.
Guffaw- A deep and sometimes riotous laugh. Winner: Sorry, Prolix, but Lolitra wins once again.
Gregarious/Glyptic- Winner.............................. Prolix.

Word of the week:
C-Y-O
(choose your own)
Since the server is still down, we will be doing things a little differently this week. The rules are simple. You choose your own obscure word, make a sentence, then challenge others to beat your writing by using your word, plus one of their own. Here are the steps.

1: Look at the previous person's new word.
2: List your word in bold.
3: Write your sentence using their word, plus your own.
4: Wait for the next person to use the word you wrote in bold, plus their own.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:54:19 am by Weavers »

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: Obscure word of the week: Plethora
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
A plethora of officials govern Yliakum.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:52:19 pm »
The Ylian giving the speech kept getting the crowd confused.  He used a plethora of words none of us knew.  Like plethora.

:D
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:26:44 pm »
A plethora of people didn't make a plethora of submissions, likely because they were extracting a plethora of platinum from the ground at one of Yliakum's plethora of mines or consuming a plethora of drinks with a plethora of friends in Kada's. Plethora.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:17 pm »
I disagree with Parallo. A plethora of people did not make a submission yes but that is because you were plethoric in your use of the word plethora. They felt you said it enough for us all  :P

[Not sure if I used plethoric right there but worth a shot. And just kidding Parallo  :P]
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:42:17 pm »
A plethora of idiots follow Duraza and his plethora of faults :D

I have a plethora of love for Duraza and Parallo (Don't think that works... but whatever :P)
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:28:39 am »
OooooOOoo.

As soon as the Octarchy reopened the platinum mines and market, the world became inundated with a plethora of hopeful miners and sacks veritably bursting with coins.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:06:07 am »
I propound the word Camarilla... as a Camarilla of Octarchs who debate with torpid, yet recondite vocabulary over subjective topics.  One has a plethora of things to debate.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:12:43 am by Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins »
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Prolix

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 09:49:40 pm »
If one wishes to spice up a pudding or a pie, one would seem to have a plethora of options, everything from tefusang tooth to banuts. If one chooses wisely the camarilla will be too sick to sway the octarchs decision. While some spices vary in quality others are fully fungible

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 05:11:45 am »
um... camarilla is not a noun - I was incorrect to capitalise it.  Or are you seeing if there is a plethora of ways to test the fungibility of words, or even missuse them? Perhaps we are being too plethoric with it all!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:56:07 pm by Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins »
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.

Prolix

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 06:58:23 am »
It is indeed a noun.
camarilla
Main Entry:
    cam·a·ril·la
    \ˌka-mə-ˈri-lə, -ˈrē-ə\
Function:
    noun
Etymology:
    Spanish, literally, small room
Date:

: a group of unofficial often secret and scheming advisers; also : cabal

Now my use of fungible was a bit of a stretch but I think the camarilla might croodle when they realize from the plethora of their faces, viz.  :-[, that the octarch wished to be rid of them. Perhaps this is going a different direction than the OP intended.

I would think that the camarilla of octarchs would not be a group of octarchs but rather a group of octarchal advisors.

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 09:17:09 am »
oops I meant Pro-Noun. 

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
New Obscure word of the week: Brumous
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 01:03:23 pm »
By summary judgment, we declare Lolitra Purrty the winner for her eloquent use of 'plethora'.

Our next word shall be brumous, which casts itself into the very abyss of obscurity by rendering itself immune to the wiles of spellcheckers across the world.

Prolix

Re: Obscure word of the week: Brumous
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:26 pm »
As we crested the summit, brumous patches dotted the valleys below where the rivulets fled from the heights and splashed into unseen pools.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: Brumous: Obscure word of the week.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 02:32:07 pm »
Sour-smelling brumous pillars rose from the backs of our umbrous bos urus as we trundled mous down the urbs past the sorbus and rubus.

Not PS related at all but I saw an opportunity to use a huge amount of words found within the original word and one even more obscure anagram so I seized it.