Author Topic: C-Y-O: Obscure word of the week.  (Read 9602 times)

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
Re: Brumous: Obscure word of the week.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 03:35:17 pm »
Ok I am going to give this a try. I hope it fits in the sentence as it is supposed to.  :whistling:

The forest was filled with different shades of blue, grey, and purples and seemed alive as the brumous flowed swirling softly around the trees.

I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 03:40:10 pm »
Ok I am going to give this a try. I hope it fits in the sentence as it is supposed to.  :whistling:

The forest was filled with different shades of blue, grey, and purples and seemed alive as the brumous flowed swirling softly around the trees.

I think you got it wrong, you used it as a noun, which is actually brume.

Brumous mornings are a sign of sweltering afternoons.

Prolix

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 04:06:23 pm »
we trundled mous down the urbs past the sorbus and rubus.

What the heck are mous supposed to be? Microsoft certifications? Scottish mouths? All the other words I could find a meaning to even if they were Latinate designations. Well Mous could be short for Mustafa. That was the only place I found a definition for urbs as well.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 04:09:16 pm »
Brumous clouds of air born morning dew clung to the Bromus secalinus that stirred it like hypnotised shafts all swaying to the charm of the breeze.   Nothing had prepared the townsfolk for the brume blanket that was to roll out from over the swirling mass of golden rye...  It brought their daily lives to a chilly stand-still.
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 04:12:50 pm »
Brumous clouds of air born morning dew

A tad redundant Lolitra dear ^^

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 04:17:57 pm »
Quote from: Eliseth
I think you got it wrong, you used it as a noun, which is actually brume.

Awwww, crap! Oh well, I tried. :P Thanks for your correction Eliseth. Much appreciated. I'll try to think of something else. 

[Edit] Ok I got a sentence for the thread. With some help. Thanks neko for your help.

"As dawn broke, I looked out my window over looking the Hydlaa Plaza and said to myself, "It looks like it's going to be a brumous morning.", and with that I went back to bed.

[Edit 2] Ok I have some more sentences that I have come up with on my own. :)

The brumous sky shifted and lowered baleful over the sere landscape.

The old crochety wizard glared out the crumbling tower window and muttered complaint to the brumous day.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:53:07 pm by zorbels »
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 12:34:22 am »
Eliseth pulled her coat tightly around her as the cold air tried to penetrate her warmth. She walked through the streets of Hydlaa and smiled as she smelled the strong smell of freshly baked bread that pierced through the brumous morning air. "Sarine... breaker of the brume" she said, giggling to herself.

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 12:52:07 am »
Brumous clouds of air born morning dew

A tad redundant Lolitra dear ^^

How so?   Brumous - only means foggy, or misty - ok, so I missed the word 'like'  perhaps - 'Brumous like clouds of  air-born morning dew...' would have been better? or maybe I should have used 'wisps' instead of clouds - 'Brumous like wisps of air-born... ' or even tufts...  - it would be nice if you explained your reasoning - sometimes peoples understanding can be a little brumous.  [I know what it can be like to have cotton wool between the ears... hehe]

Nature sweeps her brume in and over the lands to brush aside the noisy warm chatter, leaving icy brumous words hanging visibly in the air after swirling out of shocked villagers' mouths....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:07:44 am by Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins »
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.

The Wandering Djinn

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 01:33:19 am »

The brumous conditions around the Ruins that morning allowed Jerila to sneak past the ulbernauts and gather a posy of snowbuds and charmflowers for her sisters wedding celebration.

- running PlaneShift Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.11) Client, on an Apple iMac G5 2GHz PowerPC processor, 2GB DDR SDRAM, an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 128MB VRAM, a 20-inch active-matrix LCD widescreen display, and a 250GB Serial ATA hard drive... so what's your excuse, huh?

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 01:45:19 am »
hehe, not to worry Lolitra, it looks like you got my reasoning anyway. Brumous clouds of morning dew is redundant because clouds of morning dew are brumous by default, no need to say it :) But your corrections are good ^^

Nature sweeps her brume in and over the lands to brush aside the noisy warm chatter, leaving icy brumous words hanging visibly in the air after swirling out of shocked villagers' mouths....

Lovely.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 02:54:56 am »
"Everybody was smoking and the room became brumous" :P  Sorry

Waking up at dawn, Nurahk noticed that it was a brumous morning - very brumous - in fact, he could barely see his pet XilliX because of all the morning mist even though the scamp was playing just ten feet away from the tree upon which Nurahk lay.

<.<
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 03:12:41 am »
It was so brumous in the room that Theirah walked right into a wall.

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 11:59:11 am »
The witches gathered speed upon their brooms, plummeting into a thick swirling brumous air that hid the bromus, their brooms brushed the bromus and swept aside the brume, and their faces acquired a chill from the thrill of it all.

Prolix

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 12:55:46 pm »
Consumption of ores laced with bromine can be quite unpleasant for Kran and those in their vicinity as it can cause them unfortunate Kran to emit brumous bromides of silicon, a most foul smelling event.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 09:09:57 am »
we trundled mous down the urbs past the sorbus and rubus.

What the heck are mous supposed to be? Microsoft certifications? Scottish mouths? All the other words I could find a meaning to even if they were Latinate designations. Well Mous could be short for Mustafa. That was the only place I found a definition for urbs as well.
A mou is a Chinese unit of measurement. Urb I have used wrong. I believed it to be the term for different districts of ancient Rome but it in fact appears to have been any town on the Italian peninsula but Rome.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(