Author Topic: C-Y-O: Obscure word of the week.  (Read 9603 times)

Prolix

Re: Brumous: Obscure word of the week.
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 10:14:17 pm »
My eyes get all brumous when I realize my sad joke about bromides of silicon probably ended the attempts at levity in this thread.

Anumesa

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2008, 03:18:50 am »
To eliminate the foul intrusion left behind by mud encrusted feet, i swept my porous floor(ous) with my brumous.  X-/

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 01:49:33 pm »
By summary judgment, we declare Zorbels the winner for her excellent use of 'brumous' to induce a certain mood and giving a good feeling of what the word means.

The brumous sky shifted and lowered baleful over the sere landscape.

The old crochety wizard glared out the crumbling tower window and muttered complaint to the brumous day.

Our next word shall be:
Fremescence

A word which we are sure you will find well use for.

New rule: Anyone who uses this word in the game and In-Character then quotes it here with a few lines of conversation (for context) shall be given extra consideration in judging.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 01:57:18 pm by Weavers »

Anumesa

Re: Fremescence: Obscure word of the week.
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 02:26:51 pm »
The fremescence of the gambrinous crowd put doubt in the heart of the king and he unobtrusively haingled away..    :devil:

Prolix

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 02:27:56 pm »
If you do not stop favoring the distaff side the fremescense  of the Neanderthals will drown out all other sounds!

*sotto voce* Those quotes could just have easily exchanged frabulous for brumous for all the meaning they imparted!
* Prolix goes on muttering

Anumesa

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 02:32:20 pm »
The waves crashed along the shore, their angry din growing in eternal fremescence.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 12:53:33 pm »
Every time there is an update the fremescent complaining of the community starts again.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 05:52:54 pm »
Quote from: Weavers
By summary judgment, we declare Zorbels the winner for her excellent use of 'brumous' to induce a certain mood and giving a good feeling of what the word means.

The brumous sky shifted and lowered baleful over the sere landscape.

The old crochety wizard glared out the crumbling tower window and muttered complaint to the brumous day.

:woot: Awesome and thank you! This was unexpected but a nice surprise.

@Waylander: HA! To true and well put! Gave me a chuckle.

I also want to say this was my favorite sentence with the word brumous. It was very poetic.

Quote from: Prolix
As we crested the summit, brumous patches dotted the valleys below where the rivulets fled from the heights and splashed into unseen pools.

Here is my sentence for the new word fremescence.

The fremescence of the crowd drowned out the swords clashing together and the cries of triumph and defeat throughout the hallways of the Hydlaa arena once the event of the day with warrior vs Ulbernaut started.
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Prolix

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 06:59:03 pm »
Inhalation of brumous alcohol at Kada-El's can cause plethora of the face and hands and excessive fremescence from the patrons.

Any points for using all the words?

(Thanks Zorbels, I thought I was a shoe-in)

[Plethora \Pleth"o*ra\, n. [NL., fr. Gr. ?, fr. ? to be or become
   full. Cf. Pleonasm.]
   1. Overfullness; especially, excessive fullness of the blood
      vessels; repletion;]

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 01:59:34 am »
The fremescence of the yelling of the crowd grew stronger.The subtle whispers quickly growing to loud grumbling.

(One itty, bitty, little problem with this word...It is enitirely too hard to find a definition for it.  X-/ )

Prolix

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 10:16:15 am »
Fremescent \Fre*mes"cent\, a. [L. fremere to roar, murmur +
   -escent.]
   Becoming murmurous, roaring. "Fremescent clangor." --Carlyle.
   -- Fre*mes"cence, n.

You can always put it in a google search followed by define. It usually works pretty good. I use Kdict an online dictionary for KDE. It works quite well. I also have a few targetted search fields set up in Firefox, Merrium Webster, Dictionary.com, The Free Dictionary, Word Reference.com, among others.

I suspect most of these words are coming from the 1913 Websters Dictionary

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 01:24:36 pm »
At first, Lolitra could hear the words of the individual in the Royal Chambers, but as the debate touched on more delicate issues like -  'who should be their king?' the heated exchanges escalated to a confused fremescent tirade punctuated only by visual outbursts of vehement verve of the individual.  She frowned at this fremescence then stilled it with a simple lifting of her right paw – only one continued, his voice bounced off the tall walls of the chambers, each echo thumping its meaning ever harder home, “…I still think that the queen should do our bidding…”  Her heart sank, as she knew the time drew nearer, and she may no longer have a choice.  Lolitra’s own myriad of thoughts each vied for attention so much so that they too became a fremescent din that would not be so easily silenced.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:31:23 pm by Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins »
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 01:53:25 pm »
Wow. Nice one Lady Purrty! That is going to be tough to beat, me thinks.

Prolix

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 09:02:39 pm »
(21:51:14) Jayose says: Welcome to Jayose's Librams and Codexes. I hope your visit is an enlightening one.
(21:51:35) Bilbous says: Hi jayose how are you today?
(21:52:14) Bilbous says: do you have any dictionaries?
(21:52:16) Jayose says: Give you what? You'll have to be more specific.
(21:54:43) Bilbous says: um yes I am looking for a book of word definitions so I can discover if the adjective fremescent and its noun form fremescence come from the verb fremesce and if such a word exists.
(21:54:45) Jayose says: Look no further, my friend, for this is the home of the printed word. I am not allowing anyone else to borrow books at the moment, but you are free to read any one you want here.
(21:55:50) Bilbous says: Great! do you happen to know in which aisle I might find that book?
(21:55:52) Jayose says: I have a good deal on my mind.  If you would like to speak with me, you must be concise.
(21:56:30) Bilbous says: I understand you are busy. I'll just look around ok?
(21:56:32) Jayose says: I have a good deal on my mind.  If you would like to speak with me, you must be concise.
(21:56:40) Bilbous says: ok good bye
(21:56:42) Jayose says: Goodbye. Remember to dedicate some time to building your knowledge!
(21:57:34) Bilbous starts to fremesce at Jayose's obtuseness.

PS fremesce does not exist.  ;D

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 01:01:32 am »
Fremescently chuntering at Jayose' obtuseness, well, that is something!  Perhaps he too has fremescent thoughts that cloud out his understanding of your request Bilbous?
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]