Author Topic: measuring of time  (Read 580 times)

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
measuring of time
« on: April 18, 2015, 05:38:37 pm »
So in which ways i can actually measure time in PS?is there anything like clock to measure time?In RPs it's commonly used to look at lighting to measure time,but obviously it's not very accurate.(expect people have über inteligence to calculate it. ;D ) i bet there must be a way,since we have so accurate time unit and clock in game.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: measuring of time
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 06:06:09 pm »
I have honestly never seen anyone use a clock. I'm not sure there are any clocks in PS.

The sun/crystal doesn't move so...

Assuming the progression of light-to-dark and dark-to-light doesn't vary between days, you could use a translucent block/cylinder of wax or some other substance marked with ~6 hours on two sides, one side reading backwards. You'd have to set it outside, where sunlight would penetrate the wax to different degrees each hour. At noon the light would be deepest. The wax would have to be wrapped in an opaque material with slits for reading the time because otherwise the surface would be too bright to see the penetrating light.

^I  made that up, but if I was stuck in a world with a stationary crystal I'd probably use a method like that.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 07:22:57 pm »
iirc the levels of the lake vary during the course of the day.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 07:31:50 pm »
I have honestly never seen anyone use a clock. I'm not sure there are any clocks in PS.

Assuming the progression of light-to-dark and dark-to-light doesn't vary between days, you could use a translucent block/cylinder of wax or some other substance marked with ~6 hours on two sides, one side reading backwards. You'd have to set it outside, where sunlight would penetrate the wax to different degrees each hour. At noon the light would be deepest. The wax would have to be wrapped in an opaque material with slits for reading the time because otherwise the surface would be too bright to see the penetrating light.

^I  made that up, but if I was stuck in a world with a stationary crystal I'd probably use a method like that.

Sounds good to me.  ;)
Little complex, though...  :whistling:
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 04:06:01 am »

it should work,albeit you need open outside-area space for that. for example, it would be very awkward to go outside of guildhall in middle of RP to just see the time.

iirc the levels of the lake vary during the course of the day.

never heard about that in PS, so it might be so.could you tell your source?

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 05:15:50 am »
A day's the time from one dusk to the next. And someone decided it'd be a good idea to divide that time into 24 hours.

Now, as for measuring it. There are clocks, like hourglasses, and probably more advanced ones based on magic. How do the latter work? :D Well, magic :D, in conjunction with the level of light coming from the crystal.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 06:08:22 am »
Dilihin, the main site, in the settings section.

may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 06:37:35 am »
Thank you steuben,seems to be like so. I totally forgot that part from settings. :lol:  Thought i bet there must be way to measure time faster than runing to nearest lake.

Donari, iirc there is hourglasses at magic shop, but that is poor way to measure excact time of day. But advanced clocks sounds pretty IC. If we can do complex winch mechanics, a pocket watch or something like that shouldn't be a broblem.

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:54:57 am »
Well, the Info window tells you the time with precision to the hour.  In my way of reasoning, that's the best a character should be able to perceive anyway, unless they made special effort or had some special mechanism.
I am yet very new here, and I never noticed any variation in light — thought the clock was just server time.
Anyway, informative statements like that should only exist when they are providing something which the game engine can't otherwise supply, but is available in-game and IC, whether the discrepancy is experienced by all players or only those with diminished emulation e.g. no graphical weather effects or audio devices that support fewer concurrent sound events than others.
I think clocks would be interesting, even if only to have a town clock in the Hydlaa Plaza.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:47 pm »
You can see a difference in the sky and lighting from about 10pm to 6am in game by the in game clock

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 03:38:39 pm »
The thing about measuring time applies to characters (character's experience), not players (player's experience). The characters in a book cannot read the book's cover or the book itself. This information is outside of their realm - even though it is all about their realm. Likewise, our planeshift characters cannot see the time on the screen, or the name tags that hover above other character's heads.

Roleplayers tend to focus more on details like this.

In the past, there was a noticable difference between day and night (player's experience), but for some, the screen got too dark to view so this was turned off.

So far, in the Unreal branch of the game, there is a sun in the sky, so a sundial around the statue of laanx might be theoretically possible :p. ( That might not jibe too well with the game's story, though)

Rigwyn would certainly approve of and encourage such a mockery.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:01:25 pm by Rigwyn »

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 12:59:13 am »
I suppose we could imagine that the light from the crystal changes in wavelength as it grows brighter or dimmer. In that case, one might devise a dial based on a prism or something.

iridia

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 11:01:24 am »
From the PS wiki about the Azure Sun:
The Crystal draws its light from the surface, and thus Yliakum is subjected to times of day and night. The light is sufficiently strong for plants to grow on the higher levels, but is only just enough to penetrate the lake and light Yliakum's Seventh level. The amount of light also varies slightly over the year.

Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event

Jagzer

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 04:34:30 pm »
So the in game time that comes up on one of the boxes, would that be about correct for time?

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 04:47:31 pm »
For coordinating events and meeting up, people usually use real word time - ie GMT.

As for in-game time, I wouldn't put too much weight on any time stamps you see. If you form a dependency on that and then the server's time changes, then what? Also, from a role playing perspective, how does your character know the exact time down to the minute? Personally, I think its more plausible and easier to say things like morning, mid-day, dusk, evening, night etc...  but that's just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.