Author Topic: Flipant  (Read 804 times)

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Flipant
« on: March 28, 2003, 09:21:45 pm »
Ok in a past tread, here

It was mentioned that writing essays and using words like flippant was not helping matters, I am wondering if anyone can explain why flippant is not a good word.  Sure it has more then one meaning, but I think is was obvious when taken into context.

However I realize now it was bad to do that to a newbie, I did not know he/she was a newbie I just posted my original comment as a snide joke.

Anyway I am hoping others on the message board can enlighten me on the bad uses of flippant.
-Paxx

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 09:50:49 pm »
I don\'t see a problem with it, that\'s how you post...everyone has different styles and you just happen to type big paragraphs and use words like flippant, if people don\'t like it they should just ignore it...

although you may be overestimating the intelligence of some of the people who visit here :P

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 02:08:06 pm »
kiern got it, my post was ment to imply that some people just wont get it...its much better to be precise, to the point, no vocab above the 8th grade lvl.
Maybe its my journalistic tendencies (two years on my high school journalism team and running) but you cant assume anything, and I\'ve found using unpopular language piss\'s people off. No dumbass likes someone making them realize how stupid they are by  too much word play, vocab and flippantness...I wasn\'t persoanly bothered, I have an adequate vocabulary and even though i may be too lazy to look into a dictionary... I\'m an avid net surfer and keep a list of all useful sites I\'ve run into
here is my prefered online dictionary and theasuarus site: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flippant
write it down, memorize it, love it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2003, 02:12:02 pm by cmhitman »
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 07:17:02 pm »
While it might seem odd, one odd hope of mine and that of other devs is to not have to target the lowest common denominator, we are not after money, if you lack a basic awareness of how some basic things work, we hope that people can come away from the game having learned something about the real world.

Again this is largely because we are not a commercial project. We can be the PBS or BBC of MMORPGS?we could take that to extremes, but we will have our Sesame Street level of the game (kill things, return loot, kill more things) and our Nova part of the game that is our crafting and gathering phase. But in the end we as the devs may lack the intelligence to do this perfectly?but it is a hope.
-Paxx

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 07:58:49 pm »
aww, man, i take benefit from the lowest common denominator. But as long as i can figure out what to do, or at least be taught by someone that knows what they are doing, i\'ll be fine.

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 06:13:26 pm »
My statement in no way meant to say that the dev team should stupify (200 vocab points) the game. It\'s just that in a community, when news is posted or officials speak, they tend not to use undefined (in a contemporary sense) language.
the dev team is (or atleast I hope) consumed with creating a stimulating product, this said, you should be able to leave the follwing to the \"smart\" people in the community:
user friendliness: faqs, walk throughs, and all the stuff that in essence break the game down for the \"less smart\"  members of the community and illiminating the need for the team to \"Target the lowest common denominator\" aka the average joe. although this has nothing to do with the actual game and initialy pretained to posting college lvl essays on the forum, but i\'m getting off topic, and running out of time so I\'ll finish this though later.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2003, 06:14:31 pm by cmhitman »
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

Ravenmaster

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 07:49:51 pm »
Paxx, why do you use \"flippant\" so often? You have that word in almost every new post you put up.  Did you just love that word or something, or do you just like saying it because cmhitman made a big deal of it?
You are here,
You will always be here,
You will never be there.
Although you may strive to get there,
upon reaching there you will realize you are really here.
And there is everywhere else.
-Spoonjoppa

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 07:02:34 pm »
This is a stupid thread.

We are not going to criticize people for using vocabulary words.  Even \"flippant\" isn\'t a difficult word, and Paxx uses it because he is trying to say that something is joking/sarcastic and he is those things a lot--especially on this board.

Rather than dumbing down the posts to the 8th grade moron level, I think this thread is an argument for increasing the complexity of our posts so that we can scare off and bore and lose all the morons.  If you don\'t know words like flippant and you refused to look it up in a dictionary, then the less of you the better.

- Vengeance