Author Topic: New ranged weapon  (Read 2644 times)

A7r3yu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2004, 10:03:57 am »
- Depending on how/where you hit and what kind or arrows, it\'s not always possible to retrieve from a victim (it may be shattered, bent, etc.)

- Boomerangs are a great idea and are very deadly in the right hands.  Game physics may not like it, but a \'general\' flying movement could definitely be implemented.  It\'d be kewl to have 2 boom\'s on your back, rush towards an enemy while unsheating them, then launching them both - criss-crossing - at the enemy giving it two giant slashes across the chest.

Quwaar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 10:13:19 am »
But if the enemy is good enough, shouldnt they be able to slash the bomerangs down with a sword or something?
Smile... Tomorrow will be worse

zinder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 01:35:24 pm »
Originally posted by Ald\'Amun Dungeonrunner
I hate to tell you but if you have a good boomerang and are skilled with it, not only will it cause considerable damage, but will return to you...It is used for slashing, not piercing...It won\'t stick in them, it slashes them and keeps flying, then returns to you...

Maybe this is correct for some modern boomerangs with sharpened metal edges.
But the originals had a length ratio of around 3 to 1 of the arms and were used as throw and collect. The damage was the impact of the longer arm. A hit caused loss of kinetic energy and the boomerang didnt still flow after a hit.

Colane

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2004, 01:41:52 pm »
Lol, love the boomerang !
and that throwin\' cirkle thing xena has :)

and indeed yould be able to make evasive manouvres.

by the way, if you ever saw MAD-MAX, in one of the trilogies movies, you see a kid with a metal boomerang,
it\'s some alloy that is light and strong, it\'s razor sharp and if you try to catch it without the special armored glove, it slices your finger of.

Also throwing stones would be cool, that could also be used as a diversion for guards or some enemy.

and while we\'re at it, just for the sportsmanship, we can add frisbees too :-p
Kind Greetings; Colane, The Rolling Monkey

Proud Member Of Ashes

SnowWolf

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2004, 02:18:25 pm »
I like the stones idea - one of those things that\'s just so cool on the RPing level.

To implement it, I\'d say the hardest thing would be picking up the stone. Instead of having stones all over the place that are objects, you could just have the player roll to see if they can find a stone, when they through it they have to roll to find it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 02:19:54 pm by SnowWolf »

From the Ranks of the Arcane Order

SnowWolf

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2004, 08:04:37 pm »
Boomerangs would be awesome, though as Zinder said, It isnt realistic for it to come back after slashing through an opponent.

His is my vision on how it would work. You have all the various metels and shapes that affect the boomerangs damage and accuracy. When you throw the boomerang, you have the possibility to miis, or course, higher skill in this area decreases the chances of missing. If you do miss, you take a little damage catching it, also affected by your skill. If you hit your target, it will slash your target  (not stick into your target) and fall to the ground where it could be retrieved.

It would do more damage than a throwing knife and can be caught if missed at the price of damage to yourself when caught.

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 02:46:32 am »
Boomerangs, bolas, potion vials, yo-yo?s?well not exactly throwing, slings (I mean slings and not wrist rockets) staff slings, blowguns, throwing stars (can never remember how to spell shurikens), caltrops, poisoned powder, rocks and all the things in between will be considered at some point. But, that is not to say we will have it, simply we will look into it when it is appropriate.

Right now it is not. And it is way premature to say what will be in the game and what will not as far as projectile weapons go?.other then chemically propelled projectile weapons, as for lasers and magnetically propelled?well we?ll leave that to the mages :-)
-Paxx

Sunken

• Traveller
    • View Profile
I would like to see Javelins
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2004, 11:34:01 pm »
Another throwing weapon great is the \'javelin\'... you know, those big throwing sticks, yeah...

It will be so nice to see someone with a stick craved in the chest =)

The Gumster

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2004, 05:10:42 pm »
okay what exactly is a chakra? i tried googling it but i only found some sort of points system leading down from the head.and what is a bola, i also tried googling it but i only found pictures of basketballs and baseballs and footballs et cetera
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 09:15:27 pm by The Gumster »

you cant see it with your eyes, hold it with your hand, like the wind it covers all land, this thing called love.
It can lift you up never put you down, take your world and turn it all around.
Ever since time nothings ever been found
thats stronger than love

The Gumster

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2004, 05:12:28 pm »
damn double post :) please delete this
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 09:15:55 pm by The Gumster »

you cant see it with your eyes, hold it with your hand, like the wind it covers all land, this thing called love.
thats stronger than love

Seru

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2004, 06:35:51 pm »
Chakra? You don\'t see \"Xena, the warrior princess\"? A Chakra is a metal hoop with edge, you trow it and it retur like a boumerang.

You know what is a Kunai? Is a tipical ninja weapon, is like a little knife for trow.

The Gumster

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2004, 06:43:06 pm »
you mean that ring thing that Xena throws and you can control it?

thats stronger than love

Dathias

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2004, 09:07:45 pm »
The xena thingy isn\'t shaped like a boomerang so it has a different spin. therefore it will not return to you. Xena is just hardcore and bounces it off stuff till it returns.
I\'ve counted every block in my cell over one hundred times...  But have u named them yet- Count Monte Cristo

The Gumster

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2004, 09:27:11 pm »
back on topic, i agree with the boomerang idea. this is the kind of boomerang i would like
Taken from the Discworld novel, The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett
He was also holding a boomerang, and it wasn\'t one of those toy ones that came back. This was one of  those big, heavy. gently curved sort that didn\'t come back because it was sticking in something\'s ribcage. You could laugh at the idea of  a wooden weapon until you saw what kind of wood grew here.

yeah thats the kind of boomerang i want :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 02:03:07 pm by The Gumster »

thats stronger than love

Cirque

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2004, 11:27:28 am »
The boomerangs the Indiginous Australians used were commonly used for hunting along with crude spears. They could kill a large animal like a kangaroo or a wallaby if used by a skilled hunter. From what I know about traditional boomerangs one side of the \"V\" was longer than the other. This is not to say that it negated all chance of the weapon returning to the direction of the thrower if it did not hit the target.

I think it needs clarify which way the boomerang rotates. Please excuse my extremely poor drawing.