Author Topic: Mount Access  (Read 451 times)

Korumak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Mount Access
« on: January 19, 2012, 01:39:25 pm »
First of all I saw the 'new city' today, most of my reaction was good with it.  Then i realized what was waiting next was probably 'Roads to get there', which meant me running across two or more maps to reach there (when its fully running) this also meant, anyone new to the game will spend even MORE time running from city to city with the quests, that I have no doubt will be implanted regarding the new city.

So with that, I thought I might bring up a thought.  To have in one of the 5 cities, a place where we could Buy a mount instead of needing Winch Access to get there, just to buy a mount.

For the most part the only thing in the Winch area that my character wants, would be Helms (the book to make helms with), and Mount.  A lot of those New ish to the game want a mount, and thus well I think it might be a good idea, save some of the newbie-ish ones of us from traipsing over hill and dale now for the other cities.  The price etc is fine, as it might encourage more to join a guild for its resources to boot.  But to have a way to gain a mount with out winch access earlier on to make city travel easier, with out the 'merchants' charging us for travel.

"You can never have too many cat girls!" and you can quote me on that! 

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mount Access
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:47:53 pm »
it's a painful redundant cycle to put yourself through, isn't it? Why do you want a mount? To get through the agonizing, tedious and pointlessly long quests. What do you have to do to get a mount? Agonizing, tedious and pointlessly long quests.

In the end you'll realize you just wasted a good portion of your life not playing the game. Noob mistake, to be sure.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 04:41:19 pm »
Then you get a mount and all is well. Quest or no quest, that shit is waaaaaaaay better than walking.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:49:43 pm »
Don't know, pursuing the Winch Access was very entertaining to me. Plus I had to get in touch with several aspects of Yliakum that helped me in focusing somehow my character.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:21:29 pm »
Maybe introduce a slower mount that's faster than walking but not as fast or cool as the current ones for newer players.  I like doing quests but I hate the walking.

The pterosaurs make life a little better, but I'd still like a mount before I go through all that questing.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »
Maybe the rivnak could be made an easier to access mount, and reserve the drifter as more luxurious (since it can also travel in water). The paperwork for the rivnaks could be done by Amidison Stronghand (the vigessimi in Hydlaa) and Datal Alavium in winch grant permit only for the drifter. Because making a whole new mount I doubt it can happen right now, with all the character and monster models on the queue.

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 06:46:55 pm »
To me it seems more important to develop your physical stats, the more you can carry and the higher your agility the better able you will be to move around. With maxed stats I find that it is almost a disadvantage to have a mount because they are hard to steer in tight places and overcompensate wildly in laggy conditions. Half the time I don't bother with them. Another thing that presents as a problem is that if you are predominantly in first person camera mode it is too easy to forget you are  riding and take them into buildings or other places they do not belong. I can't count how many times I have ridden the pterosaur while mounted which is just ludicrous. Then there is the problem that to respect that and mount/dismount all the time is awkward although appropriate shortcuts can help. That is the same basic problem with putting away weapons in town though it is not germane to this discussion.

One thing I do not really get about the mounts is that they are treated as living creatures who reside in a ring when they are not in the world. It would make more sense to me if they were just treated like any other magical construct.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:06:23 pm »
I occasionally abuse  the lag you get while mounting and dismounting when you go into 'ghost mode', where you can move around but nothing can see you and you snap back to where you dismounted in a few seconds. Helps to check corners sometimes.  ;D

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:08:47 pm »
     I don't think the quests are that big of a deal.. yeah, you have to do a lot of running, but it pays off quickly as these suckers move much faster and will save you tons of valuable time one you have one. Also, I hate saying this, but when you have to work for something, you tend to appreciate it a bit more, hence, if the mounts were given out at character creation, they would not really seam like such an awesome thing. Their speed would be the norm, and running would be a joke - as is walking.

In addition to this, the mounts and other goodies provide incentive for players to do the quests - which might otherwise be completely ignored. It makes sense that the biggest goodies are given towards the ends of larger quest chains.

As for this being a noobish mistake as mentioned earlier, I have to disagree. For role players, the quests are a valuable source of settings information as are the IC books and offline documentation. If you pay attention to what the NPCs say, you may see larger patterns in the relationships between NPCs.

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:49:54 pm »
As for this being a noobish mistake as mentioned earlier, I have to disagree. For role players, the quests are a valuable source of settings information as are the IC books and offline documentation. If you pay attention to what the NPCs say, you may see larger patterns in the relationships between NPCs.

Talking to the npc's and learning about the settings is one thing, but running from one end of the world to the other as a delivery boy to hear about it is something completely different. It is my opinion that mounts should be able to be bought. It would at least make delivery's to hear about the setting easier.
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

bilbous

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:34:54 pm »
Just give me a haste spell and I don't need the mounts.  They do jump quite nicely, someone needs to set up a steeplechase course, dressage and show jumping competitions.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:36:10 pm »
Let's there be levitation, teleportation and path shortening spells. It'll help frustrated travelers out.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 01:22:31 am »
My character just stumbled upon winch access while in the process of making inroads with the Sunshine Squadron. This turned out to have the exact result as was the rp feel during that time... gaining more status and be given winch access. She has not bothered to get a mount.

It is my feeling that most complaining about quests comes from the OOC desire to get something that the character may know nothing about. This is putting the mount before the cart in my estimation.  ::)

Personally it is hard for me to imagine needing to get anywhere faster than my character can travel on her own. That, again, would have to be for ooc reasons in my estimation.

- Nova

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 02:06:41 am »
I don't get the idea of the op. Make everything easy, no quests to achieve things...  And then you have killed the game and produced a kindergarden copy of it.

My personal view...
Glad to meet you :)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 02:15:18 pm »
It is my feeling that most complaining about quests comes from the OOC desire to get something that the character may know nothing about. This is putting the mount before the cart in my estimation.  ::)

Except for the fact that my character sees people riding their mounts several times a day...

I'll admit that my desire for a mount has decreased significantly when I started using the pterosaur service.  Still, there's something wrong with the system when my character would rather jump off the bronze doors and go through the death realm than make the trip back to Hydlaa on foot...
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.