Author Topic: Drug Addiction Rp  (Read 411 times)

Dove-Tears

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Drug Addiction Rp
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:26:39 pm »
I am interested in RP as a drug addicted character ( and the drug may have some additional Effects, like ancient American Indians using Peyote to enter the spirit world ).
    I need to know if this is allowed ?
     Since I have known a number of such people in real life, I will not glorify it nor advocate it , but can Rp it  very intense .
   In my mind  , for this setting , it is as a Shaman type of character , not the skid row type that steals your television .
   Please let me know how acceptable this is.
Thank you
Dove Tears

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Drug Addiction Rp
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:38:48 pm »
sure, I do it all the time.

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=39339.msg450332#msg450332

also, know that in this setting, the spirit world can be accessed by anyone pretty easily, all you gotta do is /die
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:35:25 am »
As a rule of thumb, if you can keep it pg-13 its probably ok.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:12:14 am »
What the two above said. I'm playing out the beginning of a recovery and haven't gotten in trouble for it so far - however, you probably want to go with in-game substances rather than referencing real life ones.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Korumak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:27:25 am »
For reference
I just checked:
PG-13
Does allow Drug abuse but not as the central role of the "Movie".  Ie cameo pot smokers OK, a movie about pot smokers goes to R.

There even discussing "Smoking" and making any movie where any characters have cigarettes bumped to a PG-13 rating. (the movie Rango was sited as being PG but showing tobacco use and a big up roar that it should have been PG) but thats beside the point.

Granted i haven't seen any Reference material to say "Planeshift" has tobbaco, or "specifics" on any "Mind Altering Substances", but then again they don't have "Coffee" either  :'( So as far as the rules go I think your ok.

"You can never have too many cat girls!" and you can quote me on that! 

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:11:41 am »
Well, there was an additional plot related to the Masquerade ball ... but that is only an episode, nothing settings approved.

Someone may give your char a hint to ask Solita Desolo ...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:21:07 am »
clackerweed and night mushrooms seem to be the most played as 'mind altering substances'. Azure Way is pretty mind altering too.

if in doubt, just go with 'a potent blend of herbs'.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:15:05 pm »
It would be kinda cool to have some actual illegal drugs in-game (perhaps a darker side to the alchemy skill, whenever it gets made).  Of course you can always RP being on drugs, but it would be cool if there were drugs that actually DO something.

For example, in GTA4 if you get drunk, the screen gets hazy, moving objects blur, bright lights cause huge glare, and attempting to walk around causes the player to stumble and fall.  While it was annoying at the time, I thought it was really cool of that game's developers to include details like that.

Now I know acting drunk is easy enough to RP.  But I always appreciate when the player is able to see what the character sees.  So if the character takes a hallucinogen, maybe have it mess with the visuals for a few minutes.  Different drugs could have different effects.  It's not the real world, so we can make drugs with any effects we want.

Before you say anything, I know this is probably never going to happen.  I'm just ranting.  I think it'd be cool is all.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:19:09 am »
Isn't there a book in the library with illicit substances listed now, or is that gone?

And, on RPing drunkenness: an actor recently told me to successfully act drunk, one must act drunk-attempting-to-act-sober.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:53:39 am »
Isn't there a book in the library with illicit substances listed now, or is that gone?

And, on RPing drunkenness: an actor recently told me to successfully act drunk, one must act drunk-attempting-to-act-sober.

those books are gone after the masquerade event.
if any of you is interested about the topic ask Eonwind ICly ;)

hulla

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:13:41 am »
Hello everybody
I have never playing a "drug adict rp char" but i have "manny time" see strange thing in game (usualy in the wood street from hydlaa to bd road 1) sadly i have never take a screnshot of this but i clearely remenber some "scotich tartan color" in this little wood  and not so long ago i have see some strange color in this wood :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:47:43 am by hulla »

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 07:10:25 am »
those books are gone after the masquerade event.
if any of you is interested about the topic ask Eonwind ICly ;)
I wrote the book about mind-altering substances with the Masquerade Ball in mind. I tried to use as many official settings infos for it as I could find but of course there is some "invented" stuff from Illysia and me in it. Venalan had a short glance at it and couldn'd find anything that "contradicted" the current settings...but still this book is written by players and not to be taken as offical settings. With that said...No clue if Solita still sells that book in game...if she doesn't and gives me the permission I will gladly post it here if there is an interest in it.

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:43:30 pm »
Yep, night mushrooms are oftenthe most RPed as that type of substance from what I've seen. I remember when seeing a shakespearean play, Macbeth I think, that they made reference to 'magical mushrooms'.