Author Topic: Fullscreen issue  (Read 669 times)

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Fullscreen issue
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:44:47 am »
For some reason, I can only get fullscreen working in 1280 x 1024. And I know what you're thinking, you have to set the game to your desktop resolution for that to work, and that is what I'm doing, only it's not working. For those interested, the distro is Mint 13 x64 (ubuntu 12.04 based) , kernel is 3.2.0-24-generic.

Code: [Select]
fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3450
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11627 Compatibility Profile Context

Here's the output of xrandr, so as you can see plenty of other modes are supported.
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1600 x 1600
DFP1 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 376mm x 301mm
   1280x1024      60.0*+   75.0 
   1152x648       60.0 +
   1280x960       75.0     60.0 
   1280x800       75.0     60.0 
   1152x864       75.0     60.0 
   1280x768       74.9     59.9 
   1280x720       60.0 
   1024x768       75.0     70.1     60.0 
   800x600        72.2     75.0     70.0     60.3     56.2 
   720x480        60.0 
   640x480        75.0     72.8     60.0 
DFP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
CRT1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
CRT2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
For the sake of clarity, I'm setting the desktop resolution from the command line so you can see what the output is for each attempt. And for the sake of simplicity, I'm showing the output of only 3 different resolution settings.
clear;xrandr -s 1280x768; /opt/PlaneShift/psclient -fs -mode=1280x768

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  130 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
  Value in failed request:  0x2e00002
  Serial number of failed request:  115
  Current serial number in output stream:  119
clear;xrandr -s 800x600; /opt/PlaneShift/psclient -fs -mode=800x600

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
clear;xrandr -s 640x480; /opt/PlaneShift/psclient -fs -mode=640x480

Your configuration files are in... /home/leon/.PlaneShift

crystalspace.pluginmgr.loadplugin:
  could not load plugin ‘crystalspace.sndsys.renderer.null’

Playing windowed at those resolutions does work. I just really don't like playing windowed. I have tried changing the ownership of the files, which didn't help, nor did running as root. I don't want to file a bug report until I know for certain that the issue is in the game and not an OS issue.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:51:22 am by lehjr »

Korumak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Fullscreen issue
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:19:13 pm »
lehjr
I run Ubuntu 12.04 Unity (Gnome), and Full screen does work, however it can be buggy in some spots and causes the game to crash at points.  Mint uses MATE 1.2 as its desktop enviroment, which isnt supported.  Put your info in the bug list, just dont expect that bug to be fixed very soon.

You might try putting Gnome on there and that "Might" work better.

"You can never have too many cat girls!" and you can quote me on that! 

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:22:49 am »
I would keep up the recommendation not to play in fullscreen, but to chose (or make by editing the .PlaneShift/planeshift.cfg) a window resolution close to the desktop size.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:40:04 am »
Okay...this is pretty funny...

xrandr -s 800x600
./psclient -fs -mode=800x600
(two commands) works!

xrandr -s 800x600 && ./psclient -fs -mode 800x600
doesn't work

xrandr -s 800x600 && sleep 5 && ./psclient -fs -mode 800x600
also doesn't work. But if I start psclient a second time after those commands it works.

Sorry, I have no explanation for this behavior...and never bothered much with fullscreen at all. It's buggy, tends to crash and makes it impossible to use IRC at the same time.

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:15:40 am »
lehjr
I run Ubuntu 12.04 Unity (Gnome), and Full screen does work, however it can be buggy in some spots and causes the game to crash at points.  Mint uses MATE 1.2 as its desktop enviroment, which isnt supported.  Put your info in the bug list, just dont expect that bug to be fixed very soon.

You might try putting Gnome on there and that "Might" work better.

Actually, I'm not using the Mate version, I'm using the Cinnamon version.

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:11 am »
I would keep up the recommendation not to play in fullscreen, but to chose (or make by editing the .PlaneShift/planeshift.cfg) a window resolution close to the desktop size.

I understand fullscreen mode can be buggy and may not be worth the hassle for most, but there's no chance to make it less buggy without people using it and reporting back the errors. Unfortunately I think this is one of those times where I don't have enough useful information to fill out a bug report. It might not have anything to do with the game at all, and might be drivers or something else. At least I have enough information from others to know that it could be something in my particular setup rather than a more widespread issue. Guess I'll have to do some experimentation.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:22:08 am by lehjr »

Korumak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:31:25 am »
If you manage to get it to work with Cinnamon, if you would, let us here know how so the information can get back to the developers and they might be able to do something with it.  Problem is Cinnamon is a relatively new DE (desktop environment), kind of a fork of a fork of a fork, not to mention its usage is pretty low, so thus its just not a high priority for the dev's.
Every once in a while we do get someone using mint, its rare but it does happen.  Most of us Linux folks are running Ubuntu.  So unfortunately theres not much support for mint because of it.  So if you find a solution let us know here so the next guy who stumbles on to it, can get it fixed and get to playing.

My advice, go with the biggest resolution you can use (compared to the screen size) and maximize your window.  If anything you will have access to other 'Desktops' to run your own music player, notes etc.

Personally I would love to see an Ubuntu PPA with PS in it to simplify the process, but I don't think thats likely to happen until the day they go gold.

"You can never have too many cat girls!" and you can quote me on that! 

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 05:26:35 pm »
About that experimentation...
I'm still not that far along, still playing with packages on my current system, but since XFree86-VidModeExtension and XF86VidModeSwitchToMode are related to the package libxxf86vm, I decided to take the risk and use the 1_1.1.2-1_amd64.deb and 1_1.1.2-1_amd64.deb packages from Debian Wheezy. Certainly not the most sane or elegant solution but it worked. Well, back to experimenting to see what else works or doesn't.

Edit: So far I can only get 800x600 working. Still experimenting though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:53:31 pm by lehjr »

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 09:02:05 am »
Experimenting in Ubuntu 12.04 (in Gnome Shell) at the moment. As long as I don't try to switch modes and start the game in one line, it sort of works, but here's the thing. No mater what game resolution I switch to from the command line, the lower resolutions all look to be the same oversized rendering where about a quarter of what would normally be the visible area is now off the screen. I'm going to try LXDE just to see what the results are. Maybe the libxxf86vm headers being used to build the client are out of date. I'll try building the client sometime in the next couple days just to see if the results are any different.

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 09:14:41 pm »
Tried LXDE, XFCE, Mate 1.2, Unity, and Gnome Shell, all with the same results on Ubuntu 12.04 with the fglrx and fglrx-updates packages. I can get 800x600 working full screen, but not 640x480 (does anyone still use this??) and not 1024x768. Oh well, time to go back to Mint and try to compile from source.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:12:50 am »
I am quite certain that 640x480 is below requirements to display the GUI windows, 800x600 was a minimum window size. Some GUI mods may require even bigger windows. But that should not be a reason to limit the correct display.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:42:24 am »
Maybe you test the following (which I regularly use):
cd /home/franz/Planeshift/PlaneShift/
xinit ./pslaunch -- :1 &

This allows to run fullscreen in an unmodified X, and to switch between the screens by Alt-F7 and Alt-F8.
The only drawback I see is a slightly increased amount of the "disco"-bug, which I usually account for by night mushroom abuse :).

Glad to meet you :)

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 11:40:50 pm »
Yes, I first call xrandr to desired resolution, and then call psclient. Works without any issues (I put that to a script). In the end the script sets resolution back to normal.

My method:

xrandr -s 11
/opt/Games/PlaneShift/psclient
xrandr -s 0

Here 0 and 11 are indexes of the modes which are listed when you run "xrandr".
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:44:07 pm by Gilrond »

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:27:04 am »
I've been experimenting still and seems every time I go to respond to this I have another idea half way through and lose my train of thought. This idea here:

Yes, I first call xrandr to desired resolution, and then call psclient. Works without any issues (I put that to a script). In the end the script sets resolution back to normal.

My method:

xrandr -s 11
/opt/Games/PlaneShift/psclient
xrandr -s 0

Here 0 and 11 are indexes of the modes which are listed when you run "xrandr".

that I found earlier on was what inspired me to experiment with this in the first place. Originally, I was just going to test different settings to what settings most dramatically effected performance, and what specific settings made those corridors between map transitions dark and impossible to see. 

I need to play with this a bit:
Maybe you test the following (which I regularly use):
cd /home/franz/Planeshift/PlaneShift/
xinit ./pslaunch -- :1 &

This allows to run fullscreen in an unmodified X, and to switch between the screens by Alt-F7 and Alt-F8.
The only drawback I see is a slightly increased amount of the "disco"-bug, which I usually account for by night mushroom abuse :).
Right now I have that bug where VT7 is lost in limbo (Could not write bytes: broken pipe) and my x server is running on VT8, so I guess I would use
xinit ./pslaunch -- :2 & to run on VT9.

I have managed to build PS (guide needs an update for Ubuntu 12.04) without issue, but the results are the same so installed libxxf86vm1_1.1.2-1_amd64.deb from Ubuntu Quanta and I'm going to try building with libxxf86vm-dev_1.1.2-1_amd64.deb. However, I think the problem is in the CS source, and my best guess is with the xextf86vm plugin, but unfortunately I don't have the programming skills to test that idea.

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:07:15 am »
Edit: I've been using this code: http://content.gpwiki.org/index.php/OpenGL:Tutorials:Setting_up_OpenGL_on_X11to familiarize myself with how this is supposed to work. However, while the tutorial from that page works great, the code in CS doesn't appear to be working as intended, but I should be able to fix the problem using the tutorial as a guide; well, that and an insane overuse of csPrintf.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:58:15 am by lehjr »