Author Topic: Running on Ubuntu..or not?  (Read 357 times)

Shirilak

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Running on Ubuntu..or not?
« on: May 30, 2012, 06:53:14 pm »
Alright i got it installed and running. I get to the character select screen after creating her. It makes it to the loading screen nicely. Then as it looks like im about 100% loaded into the game it closes and reopens the news feed.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:58:58 pm by Shirilak »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Running on Ubuntu..or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:12:48 am »
Yes, it runs well under Ubuntu 10, 11, and 12 - 32 bit and 64 bit, as far as I know. Installation in a personal folder like $HOME/PlaneShift/ is recommended. System-wide installations may cause issues with access rights for personal game settings (ownership of $HOME/.PlaneShift/ - note the leading dot).

Under Linux, you are lucky that you are able to report console output easier. Try to run ./psclient from a bash and see if any fatal errors are reported. Check the topics of the PlaneShift related IRC channels on FreeNode, they may have URLs to common issue threads. One necessary prerequisite is enabling OpenAL audio in pslaunch and installing OpenAL libraries.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Korumak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:37:26 am »
With Ubuntu 64 bit flavors, both 11.10, 12.04 LTS work just fine.
However...
Make sure permissions on pslaunch.bin and psclient.bin allow read & write, and executing.  Some times an update/install does flip the permissions, and you get that type of error.

Also note you don't have to put it under home.  If you run " sudo ./PlaneShift-v0.5.9.1-x64.run" you can drop it into /opt just fine. (tested to work with 12.04)

I also didn't mess with anything "OpenAL" and I believe its included in the Linux binaries now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:41:01 am by Korumak »

"You can never have too many cat girls!" and you can quote me on that! 

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 08:41:48 am »
The only issue I had with a global install (/opt) in Ubuntu 12.04 was that the updates will sometimes change the permissions of the files. However, it's not hard to fix.