Author Topic: Newbie install help ubuntu 12.04  (Read 346 times)

Aital

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Newbie install help ubuntu 12.04
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:15 am »
I'm very new and I've been looking this up but can't find one I understand or don't get an error from I can figure out.

I run the installer (PlaneShift-v0.5.9.1-x64.run) by double clicking it. It brings up the window language etc. When it tries to install but I get the /opt folder is not writable by the current user. I can't figure out how to run it in prompt... I ran it with sh but it didn't work. I think I typed it wrong or something.

sudo sh PlaneShift-v.... (full name not shorted)
I get "1: PlaneShift-v...: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Any idea how I fix either of these? I've never really used sh and I'm a bit confused. Could use some help. Thanks.

Is this even the right way to install it?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:49:39 am by Aital »

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie install help ubuntu 12.04
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:10:42 am »
There is no need at all to install the game in /opt. During the installation you should be asked where to install PS..just don't do a system-wide install and then select a path in your home-directory (for example "/home/<username>/games")...that way you will also have far less troubles with updates (which would need root rights otherwise)

For starting in a shell.
First you need to make the installer executable:
Code: [Select]
chmod +x PlaneShift-<whatever>
Then yo can just start the installer with:
./PlaneShift-<whatever>
If you really want to do a system-wide install as root start the installer with
sudo ./PlaneShift-<whatever>
but I really recommend against this. If you do this and there is an update available you have to run the pslaunch application also with sudo just for the update. (And even this can lead to troubles as the PS-updater sucks and at times forgets an update if you couldn't do it as normal user)

Korumak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie install help ubuntu 12.04
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:33 am »

sudo ./PlaneShift-<whatever>

but I really recommend against this. If you do this and there is an update available you have to run the pslaunch application also with sudo just for the update. (And even this can lead to troubles as the PS-updater sucks and at times forgets an update if you couldn't do it as normal user)

I ended up having to do a fresh install of 12.04, a while back (messed with compiz too much) and re installed using that method, and the update worked fine, didn't need to run it with the sudo to update it, but I did need to mark those two files as executable to get it to run the first time.  Maybe they fixed it this time, or a bug in my favor :) (and yes dropped it in /opt )  Granted it will work either way aital, theres no 'standard' way to do it, just whats right for what you want to do with it. (heavy modder vs just works etc)

"You can never have too many cat girls!" and you can quote me on that!