Author Topic: Morphing  (Read 2499 times)

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Morphing
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 07:50:02 pm »
 Rune magic works how Talad decided to bind it. Magic works, in equal parts, how people believe it works and physical laws. Turning sugar into ash and ash into sugar would require expending that energy from somewhere (16190kJ per 1kg when burned, more energy for a conversion to pure carbon and back). The crystal powers magic, but only so much energy is collected and radiated by the crystal at any given time. Luckily, people are limited by how much energy they can channel at a time, so the sky doesn't go dark when a mage starts experimenting. The difference between ~natural magic and Talad's magic is that the latter does not require the caster to work with details. Things like power absorption, density and range, are preset to minimum density and maximum range; and always from the crystal. I assume when he bound it he used a single extra plane to facilitate magic, so it would interact easily, whether or not the users intended.
 I guess any magic user would exist to some extent on more than one plane, but they wouldn't be able to store their intelligence there without a container. Or if they could, it would be a losing battle to keep their mind from matching their form or slide back into it.

Rigwyn

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 09:09:36 pm »
There was actually a gm event where an npc mage turns a group of players into clackers and then back again. Given that this event was approved by the settings team ( since it was a gm event ) its safe to assume that one can be turned into a clacker and back without permanent damage.

Unfortunately this is the kind of patchwork logic that players are left to work with. We could find out a year from now that in that event the clacker spell was just an illusion and that our rp based on our understanding of that event are now officially out of setting +_+

The is clearly says nothing about the (non existent) philosophy of ps magic.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 11:01:03 pm »
 Well, this is game in its alpha stages, so one can't expect the developers to be responsible and figure out everything before they have fun. Would be nice if they had done that first though.

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 03:25:51 pm »
As far as the settings goes its anyones guess as to what is in the head of Tallad.

Still, the idea of morphing is not a bad one and could be a great mechanic to have if done right. Just the mechanic itself should also pave the way for disguises. Something that would be a part of Yliakum I think we can all agree. So its a two birds with one shot kind of deal. And if done right two birds that make a lot of really complicated and interesting roleplays possible.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »
 I want developer feedback badly now. I'll PM for it.
Edit: This forum has no member list, and I can't figure out who to bother.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:14:30 pm by Nivm »

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 06:32:14 pm »
bug the moderators then :3
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 12:52:50 am »
could you morph into anything, such as a woman to a man, a kran to a nolthrir, or an adult into a younger or older version of himself? might be too complicated.

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2010, 07:55:43 am »
could you morph into anything, such as a woman to a man.

I serriously need to stop thinking of what does happen if you stay as a woman for a long while. Day of the month ?

Also. Could you morph into a building and have people go inside ? What happens if you morph back while their inside ?
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 10:08:17 am »
Morphing into inanimate objects would probably mean death or loss of all sensation and ability for the duration. But I figure if you morph into something large enough to eat people, do so, then morph back, any biomass you absorbed during that time would be returned to wherever you got the mass in the first place. Or if you make a mistake it causes you distend and explode as the absorbed matter refuses to conform to your original shape.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 02:36:07 pm »
EW  X-/

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 04:37:32 pm »
Awesome. Imagine, suicide by overeating. I would probably stop RPing non-suicidal people if they put that in. Way too awesome to pass up.

However. While I agree with your logical conclusions as to the rudiments of morphin, settings could go the way of "[modified] science" and make it whatever they wish(I wouldn't really mind anything so long as it works well and works for the game). Maybe morphing allows you to trancend the laws of biology and physics and so on an so forth. Maybe turning into something just takes the effort and skill to focus the energy coming from the crystal in the right way. One can only guess at this point.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:51:23 pm by neko kyouran »

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 05:49:23 am »
 While here "transcend" is synonymous with "[redacted] off". I assume no one else will share my view, but every time base level physics is ignored, I am disgusted with the lore and game involved.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 09:02:37 am »
I want to transform into a bird so I can fly
flap my wings while I smoke my blunt and get high
I'll morph into a gobble so I take up less room
keep The Precious from Frodo before he takes it to Mount Doom

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 12:18:49 am »
gobbles are bigger then people...
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 05:55:26 am »
 The graphics and my last, short session tell me that gobbles are about as large as a person, perhaps smaller. Multiple varieties?