Author Topic: 3d Kaulak  (Read 843 times)

Nerocon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
3d Kaulak
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:56:23 am »
Figured I would post what I have done so far. Iam modleing this after The_Dukes concept sketch.

The Dukes sketch can be found here
The Dukes other fantastic works (ps releated) can be found here

This is only the start, the meshes are still pretty rough but a good start I think, Will update as I finish more and refine. Criticizme welcome :)

Leg

Claws

Neck and Head

the_duke

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:42:18 am »
dude!

I like that.
keep up the good work.

By the way, note that the kaulak has round, black insect eyes on the neck (yes, that\'s what it was, these strange black things.), like spider eyes, see
http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/images/toolkit/08a.jpg]http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/images/toolkit/08a.jpg

[Edit by Moogie: Fixed the link :)]

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 02:55:55 pm »
Why is that link in an email tag?  You might want to change that :P

Yeah, it looks great for starters.  Can\'t wait to see it all assembled with the body and all.

:emerald:

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 06:25:04 pm »
Well, its a start. Don\'t give up on it.

Shadowfalcon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 06:31:57 pm »
i like it too so far, just PLEASE get a new test texture. that one gives me a headache, and i thought it was hard to see the contours

Nerocon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
still pretty rough
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 04:48:14 am »
Updated Modle

Its still pretty rough but comming along. Its all together I just need to refine and wittle it down to look like a spider not turtle hehe. I will be adding more detail as well, like the eyes on the neck that Duke brought to my attention (wasent sure what they were, warts? hehe)

what do you all think the rear end should look like?  just rounded off or some form of web spinner feelers or tenticals?

I was thinking for the texture, to be kinda fleshy like a turtle underneath the open areas (like the neck and under the claws where it meets the exoskeleton) then on top of the neck and claws kinda a bumpy hard shell like Dukes sketch portrays. Should the mouth have pointy teeth? or is it just a hole it sucks life juice from its victims? I need to read up on the Kaulak, Will do that right now, go go gadget search!

--edit--
cant find anything on it, was this an original idea by you The_Duke?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 05:18:31 am by Nerocon »

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 05:57:27 am »
I like this Nerocon,
and expect it to be much better when you finish it.
I looked up \'kaulak\' and came up with nothing, guess it\'s original.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 05:58:33 am by Adeli »

I like Red Jelly Beans!

the_duke

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 08:49:29 am »
yes it\'s an original (when it\'s not an original, I mention the inventor). I invented the name \"kaulak\" 3 minutes before I posted it to the forum...

Anyways, Nerocon\'s intuition is going in the right direction, the shell really is turtle-like. On the other hand, the kaulak has some insect-like features. so in order to take off a bit of it\'s tutleness, I would advise on closing the shell on the back, as if the top and pottom part got \"soldered\" together by evolution.

In order to get it more spider like, you\'ll need to get the legs a bit longer, and bet differently, but I guess you knew that. (I think the second pair of legs is longer than the others, the back pair is shorter and the front one shortest. but if making them all the same size makes it easy for rendering speed, go for it.)

The mouth (I thought you could see it in the pic, my bad) is similar to a squid mouth (beak surrounded by a ring-like muscle), see
http://www.columbia.edu/~gp350/gabe/squidbeak.gif

As to the textures, beats me. never thought of colors here. (maybe in the direction of a crab. it lives on the beach after all...)

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 07:33:29 pm »
Well, it is certainly better. You have plenty of unnessesary polys in there that can be easily removed, particularly in the arms, neck, head, legs, body, and feet. Not to discourage you, of course. Keep up the good work.

Nerocon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 10:25:53 pm »
Yeah its still really rough, ive yet to optimize or anything, just looking for the shape, and detail.. I have an updated model, I redid the body and reattched everything but my dang ftp wont let me connect..  always hated my isp\'s webspace.

--edit--
I got it to work, Here is the new model

ops with the ftp probs I totally forgot why I even posted this... I need input on the mouth/beak. Should I leave it to the texture and just leave it pointed, or actually make a small beakish protrusion?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 10:58:16 pm by Nerocon »

Siberiantiger

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 05:59:03 am »
You should make the legs start at the bottom of the side or even at the underside of the body and the main joint of the legs a lot higher than the body, imo it would look a lot cooler and spiderlike that way and if I\'m not mistaken it\'s what The_Duke drew

Nice job so far