Author Topic: 3D axe..  (Read 523 times)

Thenior

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
3D axe..
« on: November 06, 2004, 04:02:00 pm »
Tell me what you all think of this axe... I know it is not perfect... Ignore the \"Yes, I know it is a lot\" thing...

The engravement is a bump map....

I need criticsm, and compliments...

AKA Manadora

sesmi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 04:34:49 pm »
i\'m not going to critisize that axe looks great

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 04:35:29 pm »
As a whole the axe looks alright.  The skin isn\'t bad (though it could use a few more details I think - imperfections).  There are two problems however.  

First, the CS engine doesn\'t support bump maps, so you will need to put that engravement into the texture (waits for Zeraph to stop by and advertise his 3ds max texture baking).

Second, do you have any idea how many people have tried making weapons for in-game use.  If there is one thing the devs don\'t need, it is weapons.  As for what they do need, I\'m not quite sure.  I\'d say practice for now, do some tutorials, increase your skill set, and when CB comes out you may get some ideas (that\'s what I\'m doing).  

:emerald:

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 04:40:04 pm »
It does look pretty good.

The sharp part doesn\'t look very sharp, it may be just the texture or lighting, but it looks like the ends are blunt. Try to shiney that part up a bit.

Also, it looks like the blade is made out of stone. I don\'t think that shaft can support that kind of weight. If its not supposed to look like stone, um, make it look like metal. Again, put some shine on it.

Other than that, it looks great.

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 05:08:26 pm »
Icefalcon:  If it is cast then it very well could have a texture like that (except on the blades of course).  And you\'re right, the blades do need some shine so as to look sharp.  Also, metal or stone, that would be an incredibly heavy weapon.  Too heavy to use, probably.  But this is a video game, so who cares. :P

Thenior

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 07:15:33 pm »
Thanks for the comments....

Firstly, this Axe was not designed for use in Planeshift. It can be used, but I did not make it for that.

Secondly, CS can support Bump mapping. It is called normal mapping I think..

http://crystal.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/show_image.php?id=93

http://crystal.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/show_image.php?id=26
A note on this image: it is called bumps2.jpg, and it\'s description is, \"...and this one shows more reasonable bumpmaps.\"

Seems like it has bump map support to me

AKA Manadora

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 07:26:57 pm »
CS may support it, but PS doesn\'t use it.  Only diffuse mapping.

:emerald:

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 07:50:08 pm »
Originally posted by ArcaneFalcon Also, metal or stone, that would be an incredibly heavy weapon.  Too heavy to use, probably.  But this is a video game, so who cares. :P

Yeah, I wasn\'t worried about not being able to lift it, I just think the wooden handle will break as soon as you pick it up.

zinder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 08:10:50 pm »
IIRC with CB the new renderer of the engine is used. And that one can use bump mapping. I dont know if the old renderer can, but the new can.