Author Topic: 3d moddeling on mac  (Read 711 times)

dying_inside

3d moddeling on mac
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:44:50 pm »
ok so i wanna start 3d moddeling.  im using a mac g5. anybody know any  3d moddeling programs that will work on macs ? if you know any lease put  down the names or a link .
thank you

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 01:27:03 pm »
AFAIK wings3d has a mac binary, http://www.wings3d.com

[EDIT] Blender to http://www.blender3d.com
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 01:28:52 pm by Cyl »
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 01:35:09 pm »
Maya is on macs and even has an exporter for CS now (CS/scripts/maya).  I would highly recommend it as 3ds Max and Maya are the 2 programs used most by the video game industry.  It\'s also great for high poly stuff.  For learning, however, wings would be fine.

:emerald:

shifthappens

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 05:02:41 pm »
I\'d go with the free program in Blender.  Difficult to learn at first.  I\'m still learning, no master here.  Just like the free part.

Tired Maya but found the free demo lacking.

I\'ve also heard of Cal3d but don\'t know anything else about it.

The thing I really like about Blender is that its free.  :)  Also lots of free tutorials and a nice triving community of helpers.

See the web site:  http://www.blenderman.org

Also, check out the main web site for blender.  ah....  http://www.blender.org

Good luck and happy modeling.
\"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.\" - Forgot who said this.

Snobaste

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 09:00:21 pm »
I just started 3D modeling. Not doing very well. ;-)

I have had Blender forever. I\'ve tried using it, but its interface is hard to get used to, though it\'s brilliant. I\'m gonna get Wings3D and see if it makes a good learning program. I see it has tutorials on the site.

Is Cal3d for Mac?
The Power of The MUGS!!!!

Knowledge Seekers

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 11:29:09 pm »
Cal3d is the library PS uses for skeletal animations.  It is not a modeling program.  You model, uvmap, texture, rig, and animate your characters/critters in whichever program you use (max, maya, blender, milkshape, etc.), and then export it to cal3d.  This is why I gave links to both the CS and cal3d exporters in the contributing sticky.  The CS exporter is for levels/objects while cal3d is for characters.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 11:29:42 pm by ArcaneFalcon »

provisionist1

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Art:
Cool...
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 05:19:58 am »
Yeah, I\'m using a mac and just got into fooling around with 3d modeling as well. Like others said, Wings3d and Blender are cool for learning. Cobalt is ok but not great. Maya is amazing and ultra-powerful, but the demo is definitely lacking. The actual program is terribly expensive, so get it only if you really want to do it professionally, i.e. learn 3d modeling on wings and blender first.

My thoughts,

Xirius
Xirius Dolaktisht
AD LIBERTATEM

dying_inside

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 06:24:14 am »
woho.. i made my first ever 3dmodel. i used wings . its nothing great. its untextured obviously. i would show it but i dunno how.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 06:29:09 am by dying_inside »

provisionist1

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Art:
Good stuff dying_inside...
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 06:28:35 am »
You can post it by taking a picture of it (either through wings, or press apple+shift+3 to take a full screenshot). If you do it that way you may want to edit it in photoshop. Then post it on http://www.imageshack.ws/ or one of the other many hosting sites.

Cool, hope to see it soon, I\'ll probably have some of mine to share soon too, but first it\'s essay time...grrr.

Xirius
Xirius Dolaktisht
AD LIBERTATEM

dying_inside

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 12:32:57 am »
aaaaaaaaaaaahh!!! damn stupid image hosting.  i signed up and  now i cant  upload the screen shots becuase  the file type is not correct.  my endings are pdf and they wont accept that. when i try and change the  endings to one that fits preview dont work, when i change the applicatiuon its opened in it still dosnt seem to work . any help ?

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 01:10:48 am »
Why on earth are they saved as pdf files?  It\'s not letting you upload them because pdf files are generally used for typed documents, not pictures.  Save them as jpg\'s.  That\'s pretty much the standard for the internet these days (unless you want transparency...).

dying_inside

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 11:23:17 am »
Originally posted by ArcaneFalcon
Why on earth are they saved as pdf files?  It\'s not letting you upload them because pdf files are generally used for typed documents, not pictures.  Save them as jpg\'s.  That\'s pretty much the standard for the internet these days (unless you want transparency...).

dunno. i tried to  change the ending to jpg but it wont let me open the picture then.

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 04:56:52 pm »
Heh, you can\'t just change the ending to change the format.  You have to actually save them in a different format.  Do your little key combination for a screen capture (it\'s alt+print screen on a PC, do whatever your mac on is) and then pop open photoshop or whatever 2d program you use and paste it into a new file.  File>Save As>type in your filename and make sure the format is jpeg (.jpg).  That should work just fine.