Author Topic: 3d Planeshift logo attempt. (large image warning)  (Read 2911 times)

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
3d Planeshift logo attempt. (large image warning)
« on: June 10, 2005, 01:01:21 pm »
This is my attempt at a 3d version of the logo at the top of your screen. If you think of anything i can improve please tell me.

He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare, while he who has one enemy shall meet him everywhere.

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 01:06:12 pm »
Great attempt. :) The thing that stands out the most for me is the golden \'border\' lines, which don\'t match the ones shown on the banner.

Looks good nevertheless. :)

Taurenthefirst

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 01:10:46 pm »
moogie are you talking about the actual letters in the word planeshift? because i agree they do look kind of awkward and don\'t go with the original font in the logo.  other than that i think it is much better than the original except for the crystal next to the word planesift, which actually looks worse.
anyway, still looks better overall, good job :tup:

wormking

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 01:12:08 pm »
ooo nice!

Besides the border lines there is also a wierd bump coming out of the wood in the upper left corner, by the gem.

Taurenthefirst

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 01:33:51 pm »
nah i think that\'s just a natural part of wood... it warps and stuff... and it\'s never completely straight...
there is a lump in the bottom left corner too below the crystal... but i think it looks natural.

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 02:26:07 pm »
Okay ive made a few changes. Does this look better? My main problem is that i dont have the correct font, but ive done what i can.

He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare, while he who has one enemy shall meet him everywhere.

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 02:31:38 pm »
Wow, the crystal improved a lot. Looking very nice. You might want to play with the lighting (especially how the crystal reflects) somewhat, but it\'s looking pretty good. :tup:
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 02:43:24 pm »
well, you see, the problem with that is that the reflections on the crystal are advanced raytraced (read: perfectly realistic). The reason the crystal only reflects on the right side is because the only things that it has line of sight to are the P and part of the gold border. What i might do is lower the crystal a bit on the z axis and raise the border, so that the border is reflected on all sides of the crystal. Wait a sec and ill try it.

Taurenthefirst

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 02:50:06 pm »
crystal looks alot better, wood looks a little better, but the font is still the main problem, and it comletely takes away from the rest of the image. it\'s also the focus of the image, so it is the most important part.

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 03:00:16 pm »
Well i tried a bunch of stuff but you cant reflect what isnt there. I decided to keep the border level in case this logo is ever utilized in a 3d engine. Heres a view of it from an angle to show you what i mean.

http://img238.echo.cx/img238/3530/planeshiftlogo3d30et.jpg

Can somebody find out what font was used in the original? Or does anybod know who made the original so i can ask him myself?

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 03:08:42 pm »
Looks cool from an angle. That angle could probably be good for an advertisement or manual, or something. The font also isn\'t as big a deal when viewed from an angle, though it is a bit... bold(?) from the front view.
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

Taurenthefirst

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 03:15:29 pm »
well i disagree... the font looks even more different from the angle, although the rest of it looks really good from the angle.

please don\'t misunderstand me, the font doesn\'t look bad, it actually looks o.k., it just doesn\'t look at all like the original, which the rest of the drawing seems to be based on.

oh, and sorry i don\'t know where you could find the font :(

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 03:49:27 pm »
Pretty nice :)
The only \"issues\" with it that I can see are the font and making the crystal more crystal-y. It\'s a little too opaque at the moment.

The second, I can\'t help you with, but the first is another matter ;)

The font used in the planeshift logo is called scurlock and is probably in your planeshift/data/ttf folder.

If it isn\'t, try this page: http://dafont.com/en/font.php?file=scurlock
You can also generate an image of a text string you supply like this: http://dafont.com/en/font.php?file=scurlock&text=PlaneShift

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 03:51:08 pm »
Thanks a lot, josepheonix, i owe you one. Ill get right on it.

[EDIT]

Ahh, much better.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 04:43:37 pm by Nightrogue »

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 05:25:39 pm »
Okay, three things that I can see:

1) Where did the bevel on the text go? it looks a little odd without it...

2) the little lines below the S are supposed to match up with the curve of the letter. in the render you posted, they were a little off

3) the crystal looks like it narrows to a point, where the official logo has it flat on the top

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"