Author Topic: 3d Planeshift logo attempt. (large image warning)  (Read 2913 times)

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 05:44:19 pm »
Originally posted by josephoenix
3) the crystal looks like it narrows to a point, where the official logo has it flat on the top

That\'s what was bothering me! Yes, it must be a flat top. That\'s probably the biggest thing, I think. The crystal was looking a bit weird to me; I just couldn\'t pinpoint it.
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 06:10:15 pm »
Okay, well i think i have fixed everything except for the pointed top of the crystal. Having seen it with a pointy top and a flat top, believe me, the pointy top looks better in 3d. So much so that i think i should probably let this minor discrepancy slide.

He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare, while he who has one enemy shall meet him everywhere.

Platyna

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 06:28:06 pm »
Looks great but there is some small detail - look how is polished that crystal in
Planeshift\'s logo, it has a diamond cut while yours seems to not. And it doesn\'t
look good IMHO.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/diamond/images/gp05diamond.jpg

Regards.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 06:41:20 pm by Platyna »
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
RPG Players Community || Platyna\'s Planeshift Warehouse
\"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.\" -- Edward Burke

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 06:37:27 pm »
Is this better?

He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare, while he who has one enemy shall meet him everywhere.

Platyna

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 07:07:40 pm »
Maybe that will help:
http://danvils.com/images/diagram.gif
Besides the crystal it is very nicely done. ;)

Regards.
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
RPG Players Community || Platyna\'s Planeshift Warehouse
\"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.\" -- Edward Burke

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 07:28:46 pm »
My original point still stands, although it looks a bit worse now with your more recent versions- the golden \'bar\' borderlines look like bent peices of metal with no proper shape, which doesn\'t match the banner.

That\'s my only gripe with it. The rest looks absolutely fantastic now. Fix the border lines and I\'ll begin the process of begging Talad to replace our bland forum banner with this one. :)

Taurenthefirst

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 07:56:26 pm »
wow looks perfect now to me! wonderful job!
moogie in your first post i thought you were talking about the font, but now i see you are talking about the gold border around the wood(since you said that)
but i have to say that i strongly disagree... the border in nightrogues model matches perfectly with the one in the original, it is just 3-d, which is the whole point i think.
i strongly feel that the border should be left alone.
anyway, just my opinion.
btw, again, great work here!

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 08:08:46 pm »
I agree. The border looks fine. The crystal is better with the extra layer, by the way, but I still think it could be done and look slightly better with the flat top. If it\'s too much trouble, though, don\'t worry about it, I guess. If you have tried any with a flat top, could you post a screen shot?
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 09:48:21 pm »
See what I mean?

And, um, Moogie, the bent gold look was sort of what i was going for. At first i tried it with a simple spline like on the original, but it didnt seem to match the rest of the picture. Anyway the only real error i can see is a slight difference in the wood above the S that i frankly consider too slight to bother fixing. Could you open the latest version in paint and draw circles around the parts you want me to change?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 10:39:41 pm by Nightrogue »

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 10:30:50 pm »
Okay, i made some adjustments to make the crystal look pretty good even with a flat top, and added a background like the one that the original has (credit for the background goes to  uloim, i used his screenshot to make it). It is also the exact same size as the original. 784x139

Neo Neko

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 11:08:15 pm »
Originally posted by Nightrogue
well, you see, the problem with that is that the reflections on the crystal are advanced raytraced (read: perfectly realistic). The reason the crystal only reflects on the right side is because the only things that it has line of sight to are the P and part of the gold border. What i might do is lower the crystal a bit on the z axis and raise the border, so that the border is reflected on all sides of the crystal. Wait a sec and ill try it.

Actually IIRC you can reflect what is not there using ray-tracing. Just depends on your package. It\'s kinda like an inverse environment map only a bit more complex. Ever heard of a hemi light? One of those with a light map like say an image of some sort should reflect the image on reflective surfaces even though it does not actually appear in the image. It is a technique I know that is used alot with HDRI images to provide more realistic environmental lighting etc. Pixar, ILM, etc use it alot in photorealistic CGI work. But you should be able to use it for non-photorealistic results. Actually you should be able to create a relatively sutable environment map in game. Pick a spot on the square and go into first person. Take a screenshot looking north shouth and west. Something like that. After stiching it together and tweaking it a bit you should have a perfect map. ;)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 12:05:41 am »
Originally posted by Nightrogue
Is this better?

I actually love that version lots :)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2005, 12:12:55 am »
(in response toneo neko\'s post) Aaah, yes i know what youre talking about. I have used that teqnique in other projects in the past but usually for things that i expect to move or rotate, not for stationary objects. Ill give it a try though and see how it turns out.

[EDIT]

well i gave it a try but in my opinion the overall effect was decreased. That would be good if the crystal was moving, or at least closer or larger so that you can actially make sense of the reflections, like looking in a mirror.  As it is though, if a try reflecting a screenshot it just looks like a bunch a lines, you cant see any detail.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 01:18:50 am by Nightrogue »

Annah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2005, 04:44:41 am »
Impressive. Looks very good.

Though, it needs to be a little more \"polished\" and just one thing that made me post in here. Isn\'t the \"T\" a little too far to the right? It doesn\'t look very good with that distance between the other letters, and it. In the current logo used on the forums (and others) you can see the \"T\" is closer to \"F\".
- Black Order -

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2005, 06:53:59 am »
I like the flat top (second one). It\'s very nice. Though I liked the crystal with the darker texture better, even though it doesn\'t match the original as closely. Very good overall, though. How about that Talad-pestering, then? :P

EDIT: Yes, in the original the \"T\" is almost inside the \"F\"
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 06:54:41 am by Cha0s »
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator