Author Topic: 3d Planeshift logo attempt. (large image warning)  (Read 2912 times)

Platyna

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2005, 07:11:52 am »

That one looks very nice, sure that crystal could be more transparent but
that is a detail. Anyway I would have some objections for background - it looks
deformed. Also, if it is made to be a forum logo, maybe decrease its height a
bit and increase width?

Regards.
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
RPG Players Community || Platyna\'s Planeshift Warehouse
\"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.\" -- Edward Burke

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2005, 08:11:03 am »
Okay, this one isnt quite as faithful to the original, but i think that i have fixed most of the problems with it. And platyna, the images are the exact same size as the original, so who am I to go tampering with it?

He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare, while he who has one enemy shall meet him everywhere.

Platyna

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2005, 09:37:15 am »
Much better. ;)

Regards.
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
RPG Players Community || Platyna\'s Planeshift Warehouse
\"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.\" -- Edward Burke

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2005, 12:13:59 pm »
Hmm...

in the crystal area, the gold borders are not all the same distance from the wood part, and on average need to be a little farther out. some pieces look like they\'re touching the wood  8o  the wood\'s edge likewise is not always the same distance from the edge of the crystal.

if those were matching it would look alot better

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Taurenthefirst

(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2005, 03:58:25 pm »
i like the last logo the best, but i think you should stick more with the original background.
anyway, you\'ve already gone far and beyond my expectations, its already such a big improvement.  i think you\'ve already done a tremedously good job, and it would be a great replacement for the old one.

A?garion

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2005, 04:10:54 pm »
the same for me, the result\'s really impressive about the last one and would be better with the first background even if the proportions aren\'t good enough, the contrast color/black&white gives a pretty good impression.

Uloim

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2005, 05:03:18 pm »
Your work is amazing.  Period.

Aldaron

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2005, 06:42:36 pm »
Good work!

The gold wire arround the cristal need a bit work, make the bends round, in the actual form don\'t match with the rest of them.

And the cristal is screamming for caustics  :D

Salu2.
quicquid enim florui felix et beatus,
nunc a summo corrui gloria privatus.

Me pregunto: ¿Hoy he hecho algo para mejorar el mundo? Spread Firefox!

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2005, 12:18:13 am »
Well guys, i think that this is about as good as its going to get.  Sorry Aldaron, but 3ds Max 5 doesnt have mental ray capability, so no caustics until i get an upgrade, and that  probably wont be for a few years.

He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare, while he who has one enemy shall meet him everywhere.

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
I was wrong!
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2005, 02:41:45 am »
8)  :D  :]  :))  :P  :)  8)  :D  :]  :))  :P  :)  8)  :D  :]  :))  :P  :)

8)  :D  :]  :))  :P  :)  8)  :D  :]  :))  :P  :)  8)  :D  :]  :))  :P  :)

Heh, if there wasnt a chance of this being utilized i would make this my sig. The great thing about it is that it spins so fast, noone can spot any discrepancies in the gold border! Yay!

[edit] ^^^^About it being as good as its going to get I mean.^^^
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 03:05:07 am by Nightrogue »

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2005, 07:43:55 am »
Wow. That. Is. Cool. :D

I like the one above (not spinning on the black background) the best. The crystal looks a lot better with all the fixes and without the reflection from the \"P.\" Great work, by the way. I\'d be very disappointed if this wasn\'t used.
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

jonmack

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2005, 08:05:05 am »
Simply amazing - looks really nice. Here\'s my opinions for improvements...

The lowest point on the N is overhanging off the edge of the wooden base. In the original PS logo it looks like it has been chopped off. Not that it has to be a perfect replica of the original of course, but none of the rest is overhanging.

Is there a way to make the definition of the L stand out a bit more? It\'s borders get completely lost in the P. I actually prefer the kerning on the oringinal more - the fonts look nicer all joined together like a single entity.

All these talented 3D artists around here make it look so easy :(
jonmack

Zaxim

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2005, 02:28:21 pm »
Just a quick question, how long did it take you to render the spinning gif?

Also, I like crystal without the reflected P.  If you don\'t look carefully, the reflection looks like a clipping issue, not a reflection.

Nightrogue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2005, 07:12:43 pm »
About two minutes to render it to .avi format, which i then converted to a GIF using Corel Photo-Paint 11. Its 40 frames long, and with the crystal being the only complex shader in the scene combined with a fairly low resolution it only took around 8 seconds per frame.

On the other end of the scale, this single frame background i did a while back took around six hours to render, because it contains over 80 raytraced semitransparent spheres.

http://img297.echo.cx/img297/5909/spherematrix8fs.jpg
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 07:18:51 pm by Nightrogue »

fireofsoul

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2005, 10:45:48 pm »
wow, that logo looks awesome :)