Author Topic: 3d village on water - wat do u think??  (Read 5416 times)

Arangol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3d village on water - wat do u think??
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 01:36:45 am »
The buildings seem kinda like a whole mass of stuff, not like bambu wood or something like that. If you want the "tree" look try to make the walls thicker and the wood planks more individual. Very good bumps on the water :thumbup:
"The answer to all life's problems aren't on the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!"-Homer Simpsons

Choose how the Klyros town will look like:
Klyros City Project
Klyros Names

Inca Sator

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Was born in USSR
    • View Profile
    • inca.my1.ru
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 11:33:20 am »
Hi. My suggestion: when you projecting a location try at first stage divide whole location to zones (working zone, cultural zone, trade zone, residental zone, etc), cause, every settlement has different kinds of buildings (stores, shops, common houses, richman houses, etc) - it will make your loc. more "alive" :) Zone must be . Make simple plan of the location based on this zone-concept, and this plan must be clear for players. Then, every loc. has a Center - (big building, temple, administration, square)- i think it's important. To make location more interesting -->use "leveling" - parts of whole loc. have different heights or, if you have (in the main) buliding with the same height, you MUST build  one higher (than others) object (High Temple, Tower, Obelisk, etc).... Any comments?
We have 2 "water" races: klyros, nolthrir. This village, i think, can be built by klyros, but... it got to beign modified than. Or it can be built by dermorians-fishermans? :)
Anyway, Rast, respect for your creation.

IronHead

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 06:08:17 pm »
very cool :)
altho I think it might be a bit too scifi/Myst-esque for PlaneShift
but I think that might just be due to the textures and the shiney surfaces,  try making them more detailed and less clean cut, maybe some rust on the metal parts around the docks

(we should leave the Myst emulation games to "The Adventure Comapny")

omg... scratch that,
look for my post about "Adventure Aspects"

umm, I'd also like to point out that the ship and the ship's sails and the ship,s cabin, and the walk way to above the cabin are incredibly disproportionatly small in comparison to everything else in the environment (just thought I should point that out)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 06:13:33 pm by IronHead »

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 07:07:43 pm »
finaly finished the table :woot:
heres something i cooked in 30min :D

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 02:51:08 pm »
wow very nice minetus  :)

i will try to model that soon and concentrate on detail in the shapes and textures. i will post the new models either here or in a new post and use the water villiage as experience (if ny1 is desperate 4 me 2 finish it please say, but it has got hundreds of mistakes in it :sweatdrop:).

thx 4 the feedback nyway everyone  :)

[edit]btw,wat's that thing hanging down on the rope from the big hut ???[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 03:29:00 pm by rast »
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you...."

Join in:
Klyro city project

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 04:27:27 pm »
its a net with some grossery's.. to pull up :)

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 04:29:06 am »
ok then....
here is my first attempt @ it (the textures stil need some work though :)):

thx again minetus

Join in:
Klyro city project

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 06:01:58 am »
here's some ideas on the general model.. let me know what you tink :whistling:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/6eed5493-3950-41f3-9bc2-f3f17c35b9cb/rock13rr-improvements.jpg

some changes in the rock, might count some polys down  :) and make the uper structure of the rock a lill more round

the stair poles a lill larger and cut by half like in the side example top and side view in orange with "D" shape.

added some planks in top of the stairs and bottom to look better and the side rail in the rock for people not to fall ;D

overall it looks awsome :D \\o//

edit: adding in a schematic view of the pulling engine  ::)

http://esnips.com/doc/7fc0ac5b-a483-4598-b081-b3fc535e9ecc/pulling-engine-top-view-cut.jpg
http://esnips.com/doc/613c8707-a17a-4e61-80a0-f66761c765b6/pull-engine.jpg
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 09:46:44 am by minetus »

Arangol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 10:29:22 am »
Erh... Minetus...Are you using MS PAINT on that first picture ( correct if I'm wrong  :whistling:)?!?
Rast very good textures on the rock but your hut looks a bit "stony". It's very good :D
"The answer to all life's problems aren't on the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!"-Homer Simpsons

Choose how the Klyros town will look like:
Klyros City Project
Klyros Names

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 10:51:35 am »
Erh... Minetus...Are you using MS PAINT on that first picture ( correct if I'm wrong  :whistling:)?!?
Rast very good textures on the rock but your hut looks a bit "stony". It's very good :D
im using corel draw O--)

Gentar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 11:03:57 am »
Ok, here is my suggestion for you rast. All in all, I think the city is intersesting. The layout as well as the idea are interesting. My biggest problem is that nothing really seems to have a....culture that goes with it. For instance your buildings seem to lack any individuality or detail for that matter. They are cylindars with cones on top. Try developing an actual archtectural style for your city, and keep in mind what the people are. Being an "island" the inhabitants would most likely be traders, fisherman, sailors, etc, so take thes ideas and put them in your city. You could have nets hanging out to dry in fornt of the houses; crates and barrels, stalls to buy fish or other imported goods. You could have buildings that have small cranes to pull cargo from the incoming ships. There could be windmills, that take advantage of the sea's winds, for grinding imported grains. Just think about the sea-faring nature of your little towns inhabitants and keep that in mind with everything you do. Add some life to your buildings too!

ps the new model you are working on is quite nice, but who would want to make the difficult jouney to the top to see a cylindar with a cone on top. This buildind above all the others needs uiniqueness. Try towers, chimneys, strange roofs, balconies, or whatever. I'd send you some images myself for designs, but id like to see what you can come up with....not to mention I dont really have the time either

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 11:32:42 am »
I see wat u mean Gentar, i will try to add barrels etc to my models. i have finished the main part of the "floating rock thing" (added platforms and rails etc, but haven't changed shape of rock :sleeping:), but still need 2 add a proper hut, a better winch and rope mechanism and details. here it is so far:

thx again for the opinions everyone - i will try to take them into acount :)

edit: gulp..... i just looked @ the schematics 4 the pulling engine - that looks complicated (i will try and model it anyway ::|)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 11:35:40 am by rast »

Join in:
Klyro city project

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006, 11:46:31 am »
its simpler then you tink  ;D... thats a cut view to explain the parts involved in a real mechanism like that.. but when modeling you can fuse metal parts to the wooden parts, and later simply add the metal in the textures, this cuts the polys down and makes the modeling easier.

and rast did you take a look at your pm's inbox? :whistling:

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 10:05:44 am »
i finally managed to get my head round the schematic drawings :sweatdrop: and the lifting engine is just about finished and textured :):

now for a new tower/hut/thing to go on top of the rock....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:53:28 am by rast »

Join in:
Klyro city project

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 11:09:14 am »
 :thumbup:

im cooking something a lill better.. err another boring day @ the farm

edit:

following INCA's klyro's house structure...
http://www.planeshift.it/pix/pics/art/Klyros_Ground_Farm.jpg

heres a klyro's house for the flying rock  :D might be a lill too big for the rock tho :-\
http://www.esnips.com/imageable/large/240640a5-48cc-4adc-b526-280a1b7d6210

and heres what i was cooking up  :P hope you like it, coments and sugestions welcome ofcoarse..
http://www.esnips.com/imageable/large/618efdca-c8c5-4ddf-88e1-7a74d9d8b86c
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:37:51 pm by minetus »