Author Topic: Etheric Art (New Art Mar 28 '14)  (Read 1921 times)

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
Re: Etheric Art (New Art Jun 16 '12)
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 01:12:01 pm »
Most excellent :D
we'll have to use this in our recruiting posters:

Deadly fenki with daggers, but still looks good - join our guild or die.
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

ether

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Etheric Art (New Art Mar 28 '14)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 10:51:18 pm »
New art added to first post: tinyurl.com/kisoji-2

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 11:38:09 pm »
Gross.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 07:01:46 am »
Uhm. Volki is right. Your drawings look like stuffed children's toys made in China. I think the most unsettling part you'll need to improve on is the anatomy, especially the facial features and the proportions of feet and hands to the rest of the body. I mean. Qile's feet look like hooves and Kisoji's do look like tentacles. Also, you seem to draw a face outline, then simply glue eyes/nose/mouth on it. You'll need shadows for them to appear natural.

But on a positive side. Your drawing of Kisoji is a huge improvement compared to the one of Qile. So by all means, keep improving.

ether

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 06:29:53 pm »
Uhm. Volki is right. Your drawings look like stuffed children's toys made in China. I think the most unsettling part you'll need to improve on is the anatomy, especially the facial features and the proportions of feet and hands to the rest of the body. I mean. Qile's feet look like hooves and Kisoji's do look like tentacles. Also, you seem to draw a face outline, then simply glue eyes/nose/mouth on it. You'll need shadows for them to appear natural.

But on a positive side. Your drawing of Kisoji is a huge improvement compared to the one of Qile. So by all means, keep improving.

For Qile's feet looking like hooves: yeah...yeah...lol  I originally intended that drawing to have much more clothing and when I got around to putting it on I just got lazy.  Potentially unnecessary details (like...toes) were excluded in anticipation of them being covered up.

For hand/foot:body, that's actually the first someone's mentioned that to me.  Looking over it, though, I can see what you mean - and on a lot of my other work in the recent past as well - they seem kinda small.  I suppose this comes from my utter hatred of drawing both and something I'll need to pay more attention to in the future lol

For gluing features onto faces, that's almost exactly what I do! XD  And I've recognized in the last few months that it generally doesn't work out too well and have been trying different methods to get it to look more natural and have the lips and eyes especially to look like a smoothly integrated part of the face.  Still working on that.  Recent examples of my attempts with that (and with really expressing variations in facial features) can be seen here and here (beware: some nudity).  My current method is a habit I got into when I applied the idea to this drawing I did three years ago (again, some nudity) when I was testing out different methods of getting it smooth, found one that worked out really well, and then tried to apply the same method with varying levels of success elsewhere.
I think a lot of my problem with defining the features comes with the method of shading I use (a base layer with anywhere from 2-8 layers of shading in varying blending modes and sometimes 1 or 2 layers for texture).  Usually this works out very well for creating a subtle, multi-angled lighting situation, but not so much when I need more dramatic shadows.  This is something I don't really see as being much of an issue at the moment, as most of my drawings are just one-shot portraits or pin-ups rather than full scenes.

I can really see how keeping all of the different parts of a drawing as separate objects and layers makes some parts of the drawings weird and makes seamless integration impossible, or difficult.  Improving my artwork at this point is I think a matter of 3 things:
-Finding a method of shading in digital media that is both easily workable and fluid in appearance.
-Finding a method that fits my style that will improve the overall organic feel of the subject.
-Reducing laziness and attention to detail; "Eh, this is good enough," versus "This is the best I can do."

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 07:52:54 am »
I can really see how keeping all of the different parts of a drawing as separate objects and layers makes some parts of the drawings weird and makes seamless integration impossible, or difficult.
Yeah, that is probably the problem. To me it looks like you start with flat samples, like texture artwork for uv mapping, and then you try to arrange it somehow into traditional art, resulting in sort of a collage. Often artists go the opposite way, starting with an idea of the pose, followed by some rough sketches, basic shading, while texture detail is added and refined much later. (Off topic: Amazing example of detail refining by hgjart on DA.) But hey, the shading on your draconicsoul "marked" painting turned out pretty well :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:14:11 am by Bonifarzia »

ether

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 04:48:13 pm »
Yeah, that is probably the problem. To me it looks like you start with flat samples, like texture artwork for uv mapping, and then you try to arrange it somehow into traditional art, resulting in sort of a collage. Often artists go the opposite way, starting with an idea of the pose, followed by some rough sketches, basic shading, while texture detail is added and refined much later. (Off topic: Amazing example of detail refining by hgjart on DA.) But hey, the shading on your draconicsoul painting turned out pretty well :)

This is a more accurate representation of how the process actually goes...  It's not literal screenshots of progress, but it at least displays the order in which the layers are built and applied.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 03:38:41 am »
Thanks for sharing... I see how useless my comment was ;)
I am sure you will find ways to make the texturing more subtle and to deform the patterns to give them a better feel of depth/perspective. The shading/lighting looks good, it just needs more emphasis. At least that's the impressions of someone who really does not qualify for giving advice  :whistling:
(Oh, and above I should have given an example of PS related art instead.)