Author Topic: 3d Models, Critics ?  (Read 1365 times)

bioazard

• Traveller
    • View Profile
3d Models, Critics ?
« on: May 08, 2004, 09:15:29 am »
Hello,

I send an e-mail some time ago to join the planeshift 3D team and I had no response. Mean while let me show you people some of my work. Critics of my models are welcome. And maybe i will get some of the developers attention since I am sure they are very occupied and can\'t read all the communities mails.  

Mini Drag:

Crocosentaurus    

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Welcome to PlaneShift!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 09:34:01 am »
Wow That looks great, You may need to watch the polycount though??
I am sure you will get the devs attention, maybe just post stuff here, Also check out Laanx Wheel of Wishes for more info on submitting stuff before you become a dev. Maybe they are a bit busy right now or something & didn?t see your email? That looks like excellent stuff?.

If it?s a NURBS model, convert it to mesh or poly & reduce the polycount, I think the total poly should be about 1000 to 2000 I think, but I am not sure?

Textures such as marble/planet in 3Ds Max cannot be exported, try using ether single color textures or image textures, (.tga uncompressed is most used I think).

- Just some tips on stuff I know, sorry if you know any of this stuff already, Also you may be able to get the devs attention on this board better (but I am not sure):

Development Deliberation
?Where people can discuss code contributions, build problems, CS/CEL/Cal3d problems for the latest cvs ONLY.?
Or just post on the General with something like \"To The Developers\" or something in the title, that will get there attention...

I like the Crocosentaurus the Best!

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

Keldorn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 09:52:53 am »
Overall nice models. Creative design and nice textures. Allthough I think they would look better if you made them have something that resemble scales.

If I had to say anything about the design of the creatures it would be about the Crocosentaurus. I\'m a bit confused about the end of his tail, it doesn\'t really seem to fit with the rest of the creature to me.  Looks more like some kind of flower ;)

One other thing is that the horns on the mini-drag seem too clean to me. Dirty it up a bit, cause I don\'t think these creatures bother to wash themselves that often ;)

How about some wires?

As for contacting the devs, your best bet is to get on the public irc dev channel; irc.freenode.net:6667 #planeshift

Make yourself known and bug them long enough so they\'ll notice you ;)

good luck :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 09:57:39 am by Keldorn »
m.vanes

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Quick Link to Irc:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 09:56:27 am »
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 09:59:16 am by Zeraph »

bioazard

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 01:03:25 pm »
How about a little more dirtier? ok like this :

It\'s difficult to \"dirty\" texture whit bright colors so i had to chage it) how do you find mini drag II ?

Cyrandir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 01:05:51 pm »
I know the devs are really pushing for 2d and 3d artists to add content quickly right now.  I think you will really get their attention with these submissions.  I know I really like what I see, if this is a representation of your normal work.  I hope the devs get you on the job soon!  Thanks for contributing and keep up the good work!

\"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.\"    - Galileo Galilei

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 01:07:45 pm »
Bio: He was talking about the horns, not the skin. :)

But these are beautiful. See if you can make some low-poly versions and submit them to the LWW.

Looking forward to more. :)

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 01:12:10 pm »
Many people here think that Dragons are used way to often in fantasy games, but since it doesn?t really look like a traditional dragon & no wings,

I think you can get away with it? That new texture looks cool! May we se a render with white background?

(I personally would like @ least Dragon like creatures like this! But I do agree that dragons are overused?) How big is that thing? About 3-6ft. tall?  ;)

bioazard

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 01:16:23 pm »
Actualy it\'s very small no more than 50-70 CM tall, it\'s a bit taller than a dog. And oups for the horns i read to fast.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 01:16:52 pm by bioazard »

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 01:19:04 pm »
It could be a fire type pet / familiar! :)

Cyrandir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 01:20:40 pm »
Are they tameable? I know there\'s been a lot of discussions about pets and familiars... that would make a sweet mage\'s familiar or hunting pet!

Edit: lol you beat me to it Zeph
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 01:21:07 pm by Cyrandir »

\"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.\"    - Galileo Galilei

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 03:46:22 pm »
Wow, those are some pretty cool models, hopefully, someone will give you the recognition you deserve 8)

bioazard

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 09:30:09 am »
finaly ! A low polygones model of my creatures only 2829 polygones insted of 49 000

« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 09:30:29 am by bioazard »

Skizzik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 02:09:27 pm »
The body of the creature looks very cool. I don\'t really like the head though. It has a plant on its head and the head resembles a crocodile too closely, which doesn\'t quite fit it\'s body.
I\'dlove to see your model with a different head, because the body itself is a really cool model.

Visit the Circle Of Legends at:
http://www.circleoflegends.tk

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 08:09:21 pm »
Good job with the low-polys, thats a big difference with a small change of looks. It really does look better without that yellow thing on its tail...