Author Topic: Submitting models  (Read 3451 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Submitting models
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:06:21 am »
Is it posible to contribute models to the game without being a member and if it is, how would you do that? I would love to contribute but I don't know that I would want to be a member since I think members don't get to play the game with everyone else or is that GMs?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Submitting models
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 01:30:35 am »
You can play if you're a member of the dev team - the only limitation is that you cannot run a guild. You can still be a member of one, but the leader position is off-limits. The problem everyone runs into however is a lack of time.

Making art contributions is a lot harder than submitting code, because Luca is very specific about the look, object, or character he wants in the game (not to mention its geometry). But I would like to think that it's still possible.. :) You can try sending a PM to either Cherppow or me, and I believe both of us would be happy to look over your model and see if we can convince Luca to accept it, if the quality and construction are good.

Still, since we have no restrictions on not playing the game once you're on the team, you may want to look into filling out our application :)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

pKrime

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 06:34:30 am »
The problem about submitting models without being in the team is lack of documentation... how should the model be, geometry, rigging, attitude... it's hard your model will match the requirements if you don't know what they are.

Ice_Stovo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 03:11:02 pm »
I would like to see some more specific infos about contributing with models. For example polygon count or what models are required for game now (more weapons, armor models ...)
Figis Bruzzo

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 07:06:24 pm »
Be sure to pay attention to your triangle count, not polygon count when you are modeling. To get an accurate poly count for models intended to be used in games in 3ds Max, for example, you must convert the model to an editable mesh before using the polygon counter. This is because the game engine will view the model in the same way, ie. with triangular faces. The general guidelines for triangle limits are:

100-400 for simple objects (items, weapons) (64x64 - 256x256 texture size)
500-800 for complex objects or simple creatures (256x256 - 512x512 texture size)
800-1.3k for complex creatures (512x512 - 1024x1024 texture size)
1.5k-2k for characters (512x512 - 1024x1024 texture size; body parts split into separate meshes for texturing - left/right arms, left/right hands, torso, legs, left/right boots, head, hair)

As for what models are currently in demand, character models are always welcome until all the races are completed. Several things to keep in mind:

1) the geometry may look clean, but you have to keep in mind that the mesh needs to be animated and bend at certain locations
2) the character model has to follow the 2D image we have on the Races page fairly closely
3) don't UV map, rig, or animate the model until you have the base geometry approved - if you have moved on to further steps but are then told that you need to make fixes to the mesh, you'll be making more work for yourself
4) character hair is a separate mesh and needs to be interchangeable - so model it in a way that will allow a clean detachment from the head, and so that another different hair mesh can fit onto the head cleanly
5) the mouth needs to be able to open and close for animations, so make sure to have a small slit for the lips
6) remember that the majority of detail is created through the texture, so don't try to create everything through the geometry.

Modeling items is a lot simpler, and little things should be welcome at any time - weapons, foods, anything that you feel can add to RP (musical instruments, for example). However, we definitely don't want people to make quick and easy swords and think that they'll be accepted. If you're making an item model, try to make it unusual. I don't think we need any more generic weapons, so push yourself to create some unique concepts.

Character armor meshes are created by modifying the original character meshes, and these are not going to be given out to anyone who isn't on the team, or applying. Certain resources are kept to the dev team alone, understandably. If you have an interesting armor concept, it's going to be easier to have it made if you have a drawing. You yourself may not be able to model if it you're an art contributor instead of art team member, but you may see your concept get used :) Right now only the torso mesh is changing, but some time in the future I think we will have arms and legs follow as well.

I'm not familiar with environmental modeling yet, and this is not something you should attempt without prior discussion with Talad. So stick to items/NPCs/characters. Hope this helps some, and feel free to ask more questions.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 07:15:42 pm by Karyuu »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:20:38 pm »
Would be alright to make the model and not texture it because I know any texturing I do is not up PS standards. And how do I actually submit it? (Sorry if this is a stupid question.)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 07:42:13 pm »
I adore art-related questions, so keep them coming :D

You can definitely concentrate on modeling or texturing separately - there's no need to be able to do both equally well. We have artists who only texture, so having artists who only model is just fine :)

When it comes to submitting your work, contacting current art devs may be quicker than trying to reach Talad. I'm always around on the forums, for example, so leaving me a PM is definitely possible. Cherppow has been taking care of other things lately, but he should be back soon and contactable in the same way. There's also IRC - server freenode, channel #planeshift. Sundays are a good time, since we have dev meetings and people are bound to be on.

Though I do want to point out that right now, I'm not entirely sure just how willing Talad is to accept art contributions. My goal is to convince him to accept work if I feel it is of good quality, but I can in no way guarantee than anything will be accepted. We'll see what happens once the contributions start coming in :)

And another important thing I should have mentioned right from the start: you will have to agree to the PS license when you submit work. Basically it means that your artwork is going to PlaneShift and PlaneShift alone, and cannot be used in any other projects - showcasing it in a portfolio is fine :) This is to maintain PlaneShift as a unique piece of artwork. We'd hate to see other games using the same assets.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 08:14:32 pm »
Also, when it come to food would it best to try to stick with things native to europe for now or can I exercise a little creative license?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 08:30:12 pm »
Creative concepts are always better to having something that already exists, I think :] I would stay away from very common dishes - while it's nice to have things like bread, meat, and pie, I know that I would much prefer seeing food that looks to be more fantasy-based and native to Yliakum alone. But, you can create the most awesome bowl of porridge too :D So it's really up to you. The style of PS borrows most heavily from the European medieval era, so any references or similarities to objects on Earth shouldn't deviate to other regions too much. But again, I'd love to see something Yliakum-specific most of all :)

Ice_Stovo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 06:40:24 am »
Is there any chance of helping with animation or armor creation? If yes, are there any tutorials, howto's  or etc. ? (I just finished my driving lessons so i have plenty of time now, and I want to help PS a bit. I just started to learn working with Blender  :-[ )
Figis Bruzzo

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 11:51:51 am »
Animations also require having the original models to work with, and I mentioned that this is an internal resource only. So unfortunately, anything that will need the 3D character files is bound to be off-limits for casual contribution.

There are plenty of tutorials on the web, however. And if you want something serious for studying animations, I'd recommend Jeff Lew's animation DVD, as well as anything from Gnomon (you can "preview" things like that if you know where to look... :P)

We do need animators, but giving access to our character models requires having a lot of trust and seeing an obvious dedication - that's something Luca decides on The only way you might be allowed to contribute in that department is if you show some reallyreallyreally good work and Luca would want to chain you to a high tower to animate for us nonstop

Tilayrum

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 04:09:41 pm »
Animations also require having the original models to work with, and I mentioned that this is an internal resource only. So unfortunately, anything that will need the 3D character files is bound to be off-limits for casual contribution.

There are plenty of tutorials on the web, however. And if you want something serious for studying animations, I'd recommend Jeff Lew's animation DVD, as well as anything from Gnomon (you can "preview" things like that if you know where to look... :P)

We do need animators, but giving access to our character models requires having a lot of trust and seeing an obvious dedication - that's something Luca decides on The only way you might be allowed to contribute in that department is if you show some reallyreallyreally good work and Luca would want to chain you to a high tower to animate for us nonstop

"Animations also require having the original models to work with, and I mentioned that this is an internal resource only. So unfortunately, anything that will need the 3D character files is bound to be off-limits for casual contribution."
That's not true, A converter has been made for blender, that allows Everyone to make animations.

Narure

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 04:11:28 pm »
You cant import things from crystal space to blender, so you cant animate the current models.

Tilayrum

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 04:19:46 pm »
You cant import things from crystal space to blender, so you cant animate the current models.

Again, that is wrong, look around, people have been making animations without the source files.Maybe a video of such an animation might open your eyes.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 04:37:49 pm »
If you think it can be done then provide us a guide or a link as to how to do it.