Author Topic: effectively defunct guilds with houses  (Read 3076 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: effectively defunct guilds with houses
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 03:43:16 am »
I believe the problem LigH is realizing when a paradigm has shifted around you so entirely that you need to go find a context you fit into more easily rather than try to shoehorn your way in the one that now surrounds you. At this point, it's possible there may not be a place in PS for the RHoP anymore.

However, I challenge the people that would dismiss the past to do anything so memorable that people would be inclined to still talk about it many years after the event, the people and all the "tangibles" are long gone. People do not reminisce about the past because it was there, there are many things they do no even bother to bring up anymore, but rather, they reminisce because there was something memorable that struck them. It's easy to dismiss but not to replicate.

SpidaManz111

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 10:17:54 am »
Uhm....Show me a death certificate? People tend to "die" on the internet all the time in the most tragic fashion available to them. And Parallo was responsible, like -many-, for creating a rich, inclusive, ongoing, welcoming, interactive and fascinatingly deep role play environment. Then his player died due to a heavy and years lasting sickness, and his husband was emotionally not anymore able to provide details. Also, no death certificate for him. So am I making this up? Totally not.

I also believe the problem LigH and Illiesia are realizing is when a paradigm has shifted around you so entirely that you need to go find a context you fit into more easily rather than try to shoehorn your way in the one that now surrounds you. At this point, it's possible there may not be a place in PS for Parallo anymore.

However, I challenge the people that would dismiss the past to do anything so memorable that people would be inclined to still talk about it many years after the event, the people and all the "tangibles" are long gone. People do not reminisce about the past because it was there, there are many things they do no even bother to bring up anymore, but rather, they reminisce because there was something memorable that struck them. It's easy to dismiss but not to replicate.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:20:31 am by SpidaManz111 »

bilbous

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 11:21:58 am »
Someone has been staring into their own hypnotoad's eyes too much or maybe licking its skin.
Then again maybe RHOP could start selling pancakes.

This thread is going in an unseemly direction. Fork it if you want to argue specifics.

SpidaManz111

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 11:28:56 am »
Right, back on topic. Perhaps the remaining guilds, like the RHoP, that obviously not use their guildhouse any more could rent it out to other guilds that have no house yet? That way, those guilds could use a house until they can afford one on their own. And I am sure the RHoP would be interested in finding a suitable use for their house. Perhaps they could hold a contest for the best idea? That would surely promote roleplay.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 12:49:29 pm »
Wouldn't be our first subtenant.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

HoodedOracle

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2014, 01:24:21 pm »
RHoP - was created at a time PS was still in its infancy.  It was a fantastic playground for many an imagination and I know my wife enjoyed escaping to it, even when things were still not functioning only a few areas existed, and settings were still fluid; now the stories around which RHoP were created no longer truly fit with the 'official' story of PS and its creatures.  Perhaps it is time to let it go... and only to look back fondly

I know Talad did say about permanent memorials in game at one point - but I would never hold him to this as this is a game and my wife was one of many who played the game and developers should always be free to develop.  I am touched that she is still remembered here by some, but do not let this become a debating point that stops you or others from enjoying the game for what it is - I know she would never have wanted that - ever.  Life is too precious, and short too.  Don't hold on too tight to the past - allow its memories to inspire you to greater things if they are so inclined to, otherwise you may find yourself tripping over the future because your looking too much at the past.  (and that hurts - believe me!)

LigH - whatever your choice is to do around the in game RHoP guild-house as its Guild-master, as always I am sure you will be wise and considered for other's enjoyment...

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2014, 03:11:32 pm »
A very impressive attitude.

While all you said is true, I believe planeshift is big enough to have a place to remember such a great player, who gave planeshift and its players so much, and whom planeshift might have given something aswell.
And while players, who arrived too recently to have known Lolitra, might rightfully question the RhoP house, I believe it is a honorable memory for a player in a game, that lives through the strength and importance of the player community.
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2014, 04:52:48 pm »
Greetings Hoody.

I am touched that you came back after a long time. And I hope that the reason was not that trolls forced you to.

Thank you for your kind words. I have plans to develop the guild. That may include a name change. But the time is not yet fortunate enough. I am certain I will find support. There are still more friends than foes...

We are allowed to play this game as long as we don't spoil the fun of others doing it in their way. Cooperation, not competition.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 12:18:17 am »
Hello there HoodedOracle. Nice to see you.

Hey LigH, how about turning the mansion or a portion of it into a Yliakum history museum? I always thought that PS should have had one. You can use it as a central place for displaying old "artifacts" of say old guilds like RHoP or DE that did shape PS RP history and for players that did so as well like Kada-El. It could also serve to hold items from more recent events and players of note. Maybe even artifacts of events could go there. The rogue invasion of Ojaveda, the night rogue attack, the uncommon cold, one of the Royal Balls, the recent alchemy events, *cough* Xiosiamas... whatever one thinks of them personally they were often interesting.

As it stands, there are fewer players that still remember some of these things so a lot of history could be lost if steps aren't taken to preserve it. There could be renamed items, with brief descriptions, on display and nearby there could be a book that serves as an explanation plaque for why the piece is in the museum, much like the settings books we used to use for RHoP stuff anyway. You could even put artifacts and their "plaques" in shelves or some other container so that it doesn't lag up the area.

However it is set up, it would be a nice place to archive these stories and then it won't have to fall to players to repeat them over and over again. You might even see people come out of lurking long enough to contribute to it. I think it being player run as opposed to "official" would also allow for more flexibility with what can go in there. As long as a piece doesn't break settings, in of itself, it can probably go in the museum, so fuzzy memories, guilds with now questionable settings, and so on might not be a problem.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:00:35 am by Illysia »

Ascomanni

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 12:56:54 am »
That is a really cool idea. As someone who has not experienced these stories I would really enough something like that.

HoodedOracle

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:55 am »
The basis of a guildhouse should be grounded in the game settings.  If inside it there is an area for fables and artifacts - that would be a grand talking point and perhaps spark for roleplay...
If though... The guildhouse is not being used as per the game rules.. Well that is a decision for developers to make.
Good luck

Thedrish

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2014, 04:38:39 am »
GH should not be auctioned but rewarded for a good RP project like they did for the Red Den, if the project stop just give the house to another project...
I agree on the bit that guilds that are active and participate should be able to get/use their own GH.
Thedrish Urthadar
Knights Commander of The Lost Knights

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2014, 04:10:46 pm »
GH should not be auctioned but rewarded for a good RP project like they did for the Red Den, if the project stop just give the house to another project...
I agree on the bit that guilds that are active and participate should be able to get/use their own GH.

I second this motion. That way the roleplayers wouldn't have to grind money senselessly. Make two kinds of events: one for roleplayers to apply for a house, and one auction for those with the money.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Adash

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:06 am »
I DISAGREE:

The owner of the Guild House has complete control as to whom gets to take over it.  As soon as the leader of the guild provides permission and gives over the guild key to the designated player, the transaction is final and legitimate.  A true democracy means the owner of the guild decides what is to be done with their virtual property.  Simple as that.

Note To Sneaky Freeloaders:  If you don't own it, mind your own business and stop manipulating basic fundamental principles of ownership.  Your opinion is null and void and only the owner's opinion is valid unless he/she deems necessary others input.

bilbous

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2014, 01:34:13 pm »
Nobody owns a guild. Guilds have leaders that can be supplanted should they go inactive. Guilds are not democracies in that the guild leader has final say over which members have which guild powers. The octarchy can rescind the guilds house lease with no recourse. Inactive guild members should be automatically removed from the guild after one year of inactivity so that guilds cannot rely on them to keep their guild charter.  IMNSHO.

Spurious arguments are spurious.