Author Topic: Forum activity  (Read 913 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Forum activity
« on: November 05, 2020, 03:18:01 pm »
Hi,
I see very little forum activity these days. Is that due to the new tools like Discord?

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Forum activity
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 03:40:23 pm »
Wouldn't know about Discord, as I don't personally use it, but it's certainly not due to a lack of activity in the game itself. Events are going as strong as ever, the market is a steady and reliable source of RP, and dev meetings provide a constant stream of updates. I do miss the meeting transcripts though and wish they would return, though admittedly Uadjet is pretty stretched thin with all the things he does.

Perhaps some updates on the things the developers are doing (and a couple of screenshots as well) would also help liven up the forums? I hear development is going strong, many would like a glimpse into the future who don't have access to the UE port.

But then, what you already do is enough and the game is more lively than it was in a long time, despite what the forum activity would imply  \\o//

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 07:48:02 am »
I also do not use Discord. I know its widely used in the gaming community, but I am still not convinced that they have a strong approach to privacy and I did not research closer to see what they actually have. I read somewhere they may use chat postings for advertisement and that would be a big no-no for me. But I did not yet verify this claim. These days I am more and more reluctant of using internet services where I have even slight doubts about their privacy. However, using this forum over HTTP instead of HTTPS is also not ideal, but I understand there may be no one with time to fix this at the moment.

Events, market and RP is strong in PlaneShift currently. I also like the Dev Q&A. I would love the an occasional post on development with screenshots in the forum.

I sometimes intended to post about some events with a story as Damola experienced it and I know these have been well received in the past, but with all the chaos in the world… and all that is going on in my life I found it difficult to take time for it.

I am very grateful that you and the other developers continually work on the Unreal port and on extending the game. I am looking forward to it, while enjoying the wonderful RP we have since quite some time. Many thanks to Uadjet, with his strong commitment to one event *every* *single* *Saturday* since a long time, he contributed *a lot* to provide the space for nice RP to happen. Really, Talad, you have a gem of a GM here!

Many thanks also to all the players who participate in events or come to the market. Without them, there could be no events and no market.

I have seen RP that IMHO one could make a movie of. It shaped Damola further into who she is. It deepened her convictions as a healer and strengthened her commitment.
Love,
Damola

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 05:06:02 pm »
Just curious, how many people are playing these days?
Is the RP just gm events or are there enough players that there is spontaneous rp?

falmer

• Traveller
  • Stumbled uppon Planeshift
    • View Profile
    • Ducks
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 04:47:46 am »
Forums are dying. I don't know why exactly but they do. I for one like forums, it serves it's purpose and allow different things to be discussed. But nowadays younger people tend to prefer other ways to discuss things such as Discord that I never understand the popularity off. That Discord saves things and use it for advertisement (?) bothers me too. Perhaps I am too old for such things.

I am glad that the game still goes on. I am curious about the UE development too, seems there are a lot of progress and I am looking forward to it.
Good job everyone.
Perhaps we can try get some more posting in the forums. The website itself looks dead without some concrete activity.

I check this site ever so often but I never see anything happen here. When I have time I will check out the game again. It have a certain unexplained gravity that pulls me back. :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 04:51:10 am by falmer »
So I arrive, to a world beyond recognizing...

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 05:47:42 pm »
Is the RP just gm events or are there enough players that there is spontaneous rp?
You can see how many players are online at any time here, I see 10 players online at the time of writing. After the UE port has rekindled interest in the game, I see a more sustainable number of online players, but that depends on the time of day, and hence your timezone.

But to answer your questions, GM events gather around 20 or more people, most of whom are interested in participating. The market (a regular player event) is also a place to find players wanting to engage in RP. Otherwise, most days you will encounter a mix of people idling while away or just grinding, so spontaneous RP is not common, but also not out of the question, just ask around. In time you will get to know some more attuned to roleplaying, and if your times coincide you can play together. I know I have managed that in the past with a lower player count than we have today, but as said it also depends on your timezone, hence YMMV. My advice would be to give it a try and see for yourself. Dropping by the next market could be a good start (Sundays, 18:00 UTC), and GM events are always fun.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 07:50:16 pm »
Hi,
I see very little forum activity these days. Is that due to the new tools like Discord?

Just killing some time, while pslaunch is updating things over wifi, on this visit. It is has been some time since being active in the game, yet your youtube updates offer a nice peek into the progress of the project. :thumbup:

A market visit seems in order.  8)

- Nova

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 05:00:31 am »

It really depends. You can be lucky that someone is around. I usually play on weekends at the moment. Around market time you usually find some people willing to RP. But I also still had nice RP during the week at times.
Love,
Damola

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 02:09:47 pm »
Every time I look online it's a few of the same players that have been around forever.

I think the forum activity is dying because there's not a stream of new players asking for help or sharing ideas like there used to be.

And people who used to chat on here have moved to Discord. I definitely stopped using the forums as much when I used Skype and far less when I started using Discord. I was also pretty young and grew up messing around on the internet, so I liked to engage with people online when my offline friends weren't around.

I think it's the lack of a growing community.

Editing to add that there doesn't seem to be a lot of player-run roleplay going on, which would explain a chunk of it. I tried to start some of that years ago now but the GMs didn't seem to appreciate it. (The makeshift millitia to fight off the ulbernauts "breaking" into the city. I thought it was a great opportunity, and I thought it was intentional at first. I was surprised that it wasn't. Other players were interested in it, too, and we were disappointed it couldn't go anywhere.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:14:33 pm by Volki »
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows