Author Topic: Unofficial PS art update, V1.1 [updated July 27, 2014]  (Read 1177 times)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial PS art update, V1.0
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 05:50:35 pm »
So, I've gotten to a point that I wanted to let people play test.

Now, before you get this and use it be warned that there are places the new art looks better than before but still not great. Places like the Oja central roads look a little off but there is nothing I can do about that unless someone edits the maps as they look just as bad in the default game.

Instructions.
There are two versions, a '1K' and '2K' version. This is the resolution of the new textures I made. If you have an older computer then you might find the 2K version adversely affects your FPS. When I have been using it I've seen a ~5fps drop, and I've had some play testers and they have reported a very limited drop in FPS. But there will likely be cases when people find these much larger textures drop FPS more.

1a - Download this zip unofficial texture updates 1K V1.1
1b - Download this zip unofficial texture updates 2K V1.1
2 - extract it somewhere.
3 - locate C:\Program Files (x86)\PlaneShift\art\materials.zip
4 - Copy the materials.zip file to somewhere like the desktop (you could then rename the original file to maintain a default copy).
5 - Copy the files from the extracted download file into materials.zip.
6 - Copy and replace the original materials.zip file (unless you renamed it when it will just copy it).
****You should now have changed the official art for my unofficial edits.
7 - load PlaneShift and play as normal.

I look forward to hearing comments.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:33:58 pm by Venalan »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 07:04:14 pm »

My, what giant floating teeth you have. ;D

You know... I just don't think Riverlings are big huggers. That looks... inconvenient. :whistling:

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 02:59:24 am »
Hi Venalan, it's indeed well done!  \\o// \\o//
So far I noticed a weird behaviour of palm leaves in Ojaveda: if you rotate your view around the palm tree, you notice some background leaves oddly appear as if they are on the foreground. Anyway, I'm not sure if that's a problem of your mod or if it has always been there.

P.S.: unfortunately Planshift seems not "Fraps friendly" because it hang up each time I run Fraps, so I can't make a video showing what I mean.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 04:27:13 pm »
Hi Jawir I'm glad you like it. I looked with my install and it seems to be the same the same. You actually get the same behaviour with the plants around the back of brado's tavern. So it seems to be some problem with the game engine not knowing how to layer the models/textures correctly in terms of how far away from you they are. Nothing I can do with that.

I really hope that the people who use this spread by word of mouth about getting it.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 02:11:34 am »
Jawir, imagine, PS even supports video recording via CS plugins. I just don't know where to get a custom built client; and it may work better as linux build, I believe to remember...

Do you mean bamboo leaves? They can certainly cause some strange effects due to texture transparency not being considered correctly (there are different possible side effects, one may be "hyper-transparency" which makes you look through all geometry down to the sky spheroid).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 10:29:43 am »
@Venalan: i tried reverting to the original materials.zip and even on my notebook: the problem is still there so it isn't caused by your mod.

@Ligh: I didn't know that, unfortunately I have never been able to compile the client from sources. The subject here is the palm tree's leaves not the bamboo, it seems the engine is doing quite a mess with z buffer... or at least I think it could be that the reason.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 02:38:44 pm »
Not sure which palms, maybe in Kore ... but yes, certainly. Objects with partially transparent textures need a special handling, a specific sorting and additional rendering (some with, some without Z buffer altering) to be rendered correctly. This does not happen everywhere in Yliakum how it is supposed to be. One reason may be that the world map generation is not up-to-date, or has wrong flags set in configuration nodes.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19:20 am »
Hey Venalan, I really like the new environment textures. Last time I roamed the BDR area (in search for some giant...) I was struck by the new looks of the terrain - it really adds a lot to the atmosphere and feel.
One tiny suggestion: Maybe it avoids confusion if you link your latest work in the first post.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial PS art update, V1.1 [updated July 27, 2014]
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:30 am »
I'd totally forgotten to do that Bonifarzia. I also updated the topic name with the update date.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:29 pm »
More players should try these awesome terrain textures. Maybe another screenshot or two will help?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 12:55:33 am »
Much better. And maybe there will also be normal maps in a coming version...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador