Author Topic: Making True Death Less Boring  (Read 1125 times)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
Making True Death Less Boring
« on: November 20, 2010, 03:40:48 pm »
I've got a proposition to make true death less boring to roleplay. Currently, if one is to roleplay his character's death, one has to start another one from point 0. This in a game where it takes centuries to acquire items and stats.

So, my wish I pretty simple.

For each PP a character earns, it should stash half a PP (or choose another ratio).
After the deletion of that character, the the stashed PP should be made available to be spent at character creation. The player would then be able to choose how many of the stashed PPs he would want to spend on the new character. The PPs granted to this new character should be removed from the stash and unable to migrate any further.

This would make True Death something still avoided, but it would give better conditions for players who sacrifice their characters in plots. It also makes it more simple for players to play different types of chars when they get tired of the old one, therefore improving PS's interest for the type of player who dislikes playing the same character year after year.  

EDIT: Added some input in the idea.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:10:05 am by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Dracaeon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • KJ website
Re: Making True Death Less Boring
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:36:51 am »
It's an interesting idea, but the problem is that it's possible for a char to just blast up the levels without doing any work stall, which is unrealistic RP wise.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:27:57 am »
"Blasting up the levels" could be stopped or at least hindered by implementing a maximum of PPs one is allowed to use on one given new character.

For example, you've got 10k of pps on your truly dead character, but your new character is only allowed to use 500 as opposed to the 5000 they'd have access to if it was half of them you were allowed to stash.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 02:00:20 am »
What would make it more simple, is if when your char got true death, you just had your name changed, and the skills reduced, that you dont want for your new char, you could then simply RP coming up to the current accessable level of yliakum from a lower level.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:11:32 am »
I don't see how it's unrealistic to have a new character with good stats. It's unrealistic to have any type o new character, right? How does it show up already grown up and ready for action? The only difference is that it shows even more ready for action.

Earowo, I think it's best if you can make a new one. Or else you'll be playing the same type of char each time.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:14:10 am »
I don't see how it's unrealistic to have a new character with good stats. It's unrealistic to have any type o new character, right? How does it show up already grown up and ready for action? The only difference is that it shows even more ready for action.

Earowo, I think it's best if you can make a new one. Or else you'll be playing the same type of char each time.
while the idea is interesting how it's explained won't work. It's highly exploitable (and it will be done day one if implemented this way)

If it was just passing the pp to the new char (even 1:1) it would be one thing but in this case you are asking to use pp to improve directly the skill during char creation: this means a player could make up some pp, maybe with the help of another char, then delete and get good stats and skill with zero work. in this example you didn't train at all you just made up some pp yet you got nice skills and stats.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:06:24 pm »
Hmmm... Makes sense. Then it should be better if it's not done in the character creation. I'll fix the wish.

Join the Dark Empire!

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:57:08 pm »
What if PP was simply stored on an account, not a character basis?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 02:00:10 pm »
would be a problem to get how much to attribuite to the new char as others could have still their. or you mean pp sharing over chars? wouldn't it be ooc?

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:47:40 pm »
Very OOC. Also, I'll improve the idea again. To make it clear you should only grant that PP right after the char is made (and you should be able to choose how many PPs you'd spend there.)

Join the Dark Empire!

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 05:45:18 pm »
leaves one thing: how to calculate pp spent? take count on the side when training (won't work with old chars)? or you consider only stored pp?

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:04:55 pm »
I'm not sure I got you...

How to calculate the PP that is spent? If you mean upon character creation, then I'm not sure what magic the coders would have to do.

If you mean that we have to calculate PP spent in order to calculate PP stashed... Well, I was actually thinking the PP stashed would be related to the PP earned, despite if it's spent or not by the earning character.

Already created (old) characters wouldn't ever get this PP as it can only be spent on character creation.

Join the Dark Empire!

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 09:07:10 pm »
A friend of mine GMs an rpg which one can gain Karma Points by the GM for particularly good RP. Those points can be used to modify a roll of what list of character types you can chose from when next rolling up a new characrer. In the case of PS, by using such Karma Points one may be able to upgrade their new character to a moderately developed one or a highly developed one; depending on the Karma Points available.

Perhaps it should be a randomly assigned quantity of PPs from a series of templates or rolls. That is, the player may be surprised to find unexpected skill in an area that had not been considered, previously, by the player.

- Nova

[Edit : typos ]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:10:28 pm by novacadian »

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 09:12:44 pm »
PS's character generation system doesn't seem like it depends too much on roles to me. But making it random sounds like a good idea to me as well. The objective is the same: compensating the generation of new characters for people who have played one or more of their characters faithfully.

Join the Dark Empire!

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 02:26:02 am »
A friend of mine GMs an rpg which one can gain Karma Points by the GM for particularly good RP. Those points can be used to modify a roll of what list of character types you can chose from when next rolling up a new characrer. In the case of PS, by using such Karma Points one may be able to upgrade their new character to a moderately developed one or a highly developed one; depending on the Karma Points available.

Perhaps it should be a randomly assigned quantity of PPs from a series of templates or rolls. That is, the player may be surprised to find unexpected skill in an area that had not been considered, previously, by the player.

- Nova

[Edit : typos ]

see: hey why you gave him a KP while i got none. it's the same of helping players rp and the exact reason gm won't help them: there will be claims of favouritism, unfortunately each time some members of the community show of being immature for such things. Even gm award in their even are seen badly by those who didn't receive them.