Author Topic: drag and drop  (Read 224 times)

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
drag and drop
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »
It would be very nice if we could click on an item, then drag it to a new position: drag and drop.  For instance, just to be able to move a hide, or pillow, or ... whatever would be so much quicker than as it is now.
Just a thought.

Sanrai   :sorcerer:
my name is Sanrai ;)

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
Re: drag and drop
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:52 pm »
I thought we could do that already.

Did you perhaps mean without clicking to place it at the end?
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:19:45 pm »
yes, just click on object, then drag to new place, then click to place.
Rather than pick it up, have inventory open, set it down again, re-rotate, etc cetera.

my name is Sanrai ;)

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:52 pm »
I'm confused - this is controlling things outside of your inventory, yes? If so, that could be problematic - you should always have to 'take posession' of an item before controlling it in an online gaming world, else problems happen very fast.

Noobstorm

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »
I'm confused - this is controlling things outside of your inventory, yes? If so, that could be problematic - you should always have to 'take posession' of an item before controlling it in an online gaming world, else problems happen very fast.

When someone drops an item, it is 'guarded' by them. I don't really see any problems with this suggestion, it just makes moving things a lot easier.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:13:25 am »
Taking an item for immediately dropping it again ... maybe one could make that available via context menu (right-click) as alternative to the current "Pick up" feature.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 06:42:10 am »

When someone drops an item, it is 'guarded' by them. I don't really see any problems with this suggestion, it just makes moving things a lot easier.

This is what I was going to add to Cairn's reply.  Yes, you want to be extremely careful with granting players the ability to move objects in real-time, without necessarily having to "pick up" the item (move it to inventory) first.  However, you -could- use the guard ability as a way to identify an object as belonging to a player to allow them to move it without needing to re-inventory it.  I prefer LigH's suggestion, in all honestly.  I'd go so far just to make it a new option, LigH, rather than replacing an existing one.
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 07:20:05 am »
LOL...I wanted to come here to present at least a stripped-down workaround for some of the use-cases. But well...I really shouldn't login PS anymore. ;)

In the past you could create a shortcut
Code: [Select]
/pick up
/drop $target
and surprisingly it even worked. Seems the $target is a bit longer valid even if the item was already taken from the floor. But well..that was the past...

Now I ran into 4 bugs just trying it out.
First...does anyone even still edit shortcuts? The edit window is broken. The scrollbar is shown at the wrong position and I can scroll up far before the text even starts (basically the same error as the server text at the login screen)
Second...$target is broken. It doesn't return the full name of the target anymore but only the first word of it. A Steel Falchion is only "Steel" for $target and for characters it also only returns the first name.
Third.../drop is broken. It assumes always the "inplace" parameter making it impossible to use it to position items on the floor.
Fourth...quotes don't work with /drop...I always thought that you use quotes for commands to specify a parameter is longer than one word.

Not to mention that a shortcut
Code: [Select]
/echo test
/drop Steel Falchion
crashes the client.

As I hardly start PS anymore at all this all might be only surprising for me, but seriously...how is it possible that PS broke so many things that were working before? I know there are hardly any players left to test the game but these are things that must already come up at the first test phase of a new client long before it is released.

So, back on topic, sorry, can't even provide a nice workaround for quickly moving items around. I think this is very needed..and we used some shortcuts to emulate this a lot when setting up event decorations.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:31:43 am by Aiwendil »

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »

This is what I was going to add to Cairn's reply.  Yes, you want to be extremely careful with granting players the ability to move objects in real-time, without necessarily having to "pick up" the item (move it to inventory) first.  However, you -could- use the guard ability as a way to identify an object as belonging to a player to allow them to move it without needing to re-inventory it.  I prefer LigH's suggestion, in all honestly.  I'd go so far just to make it a new option, LigH, rather than replacing an existing one.

Precisely, Caraick. I don't mind people dragging and dropping things that they 'own', it's just the ones that perchance aren't 'guarded' or haven't come into their inventory yet. but to the above question and explanations, yes, it would be a wonderful feature and very useful.

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 08:23:28 am »
for clarification, the ability would be only for objects that one "owns", definately not for anything else....

my name is Sanrai ;)

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 12:04:52 pm »
I figured - too late  ;D