Author Topic: An apology to Champions Cup fighters  (Read 364 times)

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
An apology to Champions Cup fighters
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:10:59 am »
I must apologize to all who fought in yesterday's Champions Cup.  We had decided not to use the spell flame spire, and nearly the first thing I did was to hit that command by mistake.  :-[
I am truely sorry for messing us all up, but hope all had a good time regardless.

Sanrai   :sorcerer:
my name is Sanrai ;)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: An apology to Champions Cup fighters
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:07:21 pm »
I must apologize to all who fought in yesterday's Champions Cup.  We had decided not to use the spell flame spire, and nearly the first thing I did was to hit that command by mistake.  :-[
I am truely sorry for messing us all up, but hope all had a good time regardless.

Sanrai   :sorcerer:

I'm curious about the reason not to use the flame spire spell

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:07:39 am »
I'm curious about the reason not to use the flame spire spell
I think the issue Sanrai refers to is not related to rules, but only to art. It is not much of a problem for me, but the rotating cloak of flames seems a fair bit too large and too opaque, so with a bunch of flaming people running and jumping all over the pit, it may get hard to recognize anything at all.

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:40:44 am »
@ Eonwind, since the last update, the spell lasts much longer, and seems to make everyone close to the spire very laggy. So not just for the sake of art did we decide not to use it.
(serves me right for panicing, hehe)
my name is Sanrai ;)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:01:28 pm »
yes the spell duration was increased because it was too short compared to spells like wild streak and others, I'm not sure if the art was changed or if anything can be done to decrease the spell lag.

Taya

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:11 pm »
It's not so much the spell length, but the visible effect length that is now too long.

Most spells show the visible effect for a short time, but the spell stays active for longer than the actual visible effect. This one now shows the effect for a very long time as well as being active for that time. I'm not sure about others, but I find the prolonged visibility is quite annoying.

Couldn't the length of time it's visible for stay the same as originally, but have the effect outlast the visibility?

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 07:36:23 pm »
It's a PS spell..just adjust it to your needs in data/effects/spells/red/flame_spire.eff...or easiests delete that file.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »
It's not so much the spell length, but the visible effect length that is now too long.

Most spells show the visible effect for a short time, but the spell stays active for longer than the actual visible effect. This one now shows the effect for a very long time as well as being active for that time. I'm not sure about others, but I find the prolonged visibility is quite annoying.

Couldn't the length of time it's visible for stay the same as originally, but have the effect outlast the visibility?

Taya I would say it's not the best option. In general a spell effect should be visible for all the time it lasts, this because one could see whether it's active or not and decide what to do, for example dispel, avoid attacking and so. Perhaps fine tuning the effect (so it's not too laggy) could be the best way to go.

Taya

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 01:11:37 pm »
Aiwendil- I was mostly just clarifying what the issue is. That it's not the length of the spell but the length of the visibility. I think the spell being longer is a good thing. I just thing the current effect being longer isn't so good, and I don't like deleting them because I like to know what people are casting.

Eonwind - I would agree that they should be visible, because it's a nice guide to let you know when something ends. But most don't stay visible. Defensive wind and attack boosters like flaming weapon are the ones that do, but then the effect is either focused on your hands or low down on the ground, so those are either not too big or not too centralized on the screen. Flame spire is big and covers your entire character, so very centralized and (I find) massively distracting. You also can't really see through it, so it can interfere with visibility a bit as well. If it could be reduced in intensity it would probably be fine though.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:40:18 pm »
I think you should be able to turn of the repeating of an animation in that file too...so be able to go back to the old way of showing the animation only once when the spell is casted. But never really bothered much....I usually just deleted all spell effects and stayed with the notifications of the chat window...never liked them very much.