Author Topic: Theives, etc.  (Read 586 times)

karakth

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Theives, etc.
« on: March 12, 2004, 11:47:05 am »
What if PC theives were allowed to steal from NPCs, but then automatically the NPC offers a quest to PCs (not the theif) to retrieve his stolen items/money?

The PCs would have to chase down each other, and one PC would have to find the other PC, take him to a court, and show proof that he was the theif.

This could be coded as an automatic thing, with a set type and amount of evidence to retrieve and present to a court system of NPCs.

Of course, with the release of CB will come player and NPC descriptions, so NPCs can be coded to decribe the player based on his/her description or Avatar.

When the quest is solved the theif himself is either put behind bars (if he loses) for a period of time (longer if  the theif spent the money/sold the items he stole) OR let to go free and keep the loot (if he wins).

Naturally, skillfull theives will then try not to leave evidence by hiding from NPCs, and then obviously skilled theives would also try not to allow themselves to be suspected.

There, that\'s my $0.02
~Karakth, Arcane Loremaster of the Arcane Order.

Toadhead

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 01:56:41 pm »
hm..you mean that when player \"ABC\" steals from a NPC everybody that will talk to that NPC will get a message like this:

\"HELP!! HELP!! I\'m robbed! Please get my stuff back! I\'ll pay you much when you kill the thief named \"ABC\" and bring his head to me!

The stuff that was stolen will be too difficult becuase maybe he already sold it!

karakth

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 02:41:09 pm »
Nope I never said anything about killing. And the NPC would not know the name of the theif.

Originally Posted by me

When the quest is solved the theif himself is either put behind bars (if he loses) for a period of time (longer if the theif spent the money/sold the items he stole) OR let to go free and keep the loot (if he wins).

All the PC hunter has to do is find sufficient evidence that the theif PC stole object X from NPC Y.

If the theif has already sold the item then the theif must either pay its value in money or have an extended jailtime.

P.S. NPC conversations:

1) If the NPC saw the theif: You must help me! I\'ve been robbed by a . S/he stole ! Please help me!

If you agree then the NPC says: Oh thank you! The looked like .

2) If the NPC did not see the theif: Oh you must help me! I\'ve been robbed of ! I\'m not sure who did it, but I would appreciate if you help me recover it.

Axsyrus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 08:22:58 pm »
Great Idea! :))

However, it shouldn\'t be too hard to find out who stole an object from the NPC. How would another player ever find out who stole something if the NPC can\'t even give a description?

I think it would also be a good idea, that once you\'ve stolen something and still cary around a stolen item, or you\'ve sold it but players are still searching for you, there should be free PvP on your character. this way you couldn\'t steal an item and just refuse every fight.

Axsyrus the Azure - Ruler of the Winds
Member of The Arcane Order\'s Council

karakth

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 08:30:36 pm »
You can refuse to fight but you can\'t refuse to be taken to court. And the way to hunt down a theif is to ask around, listen to rumours (e.g. If someone tries to sell the stolen object, you nab him :) ).

Afareg

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 08:43:11 am »
There is one problem with this. Since there is a limited number of avatars one can choose, the description is of little use. Because there could be 20 thieves with the same looks...
Evolution: Ape to man, and now, man to ape.
Dont believe me? Turn on the TV and see for yourself!

Adair

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 11:03:23 am »
I agree with the guy that posted above me...

Eoghann Adair
Leader of: The Clan of the Blood Moon
PS player name: Kina

Afareg

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 03:18:32 pm »
Originally posted by karakth
And the way to hunt down a theif is to ask around, listen to rumours (e.g. If someone tries to sell the stolen object, you nab him :) ).

It would be hard to trace someone that sells a Sword +1, since there might be 100 people with that type sword.

I like the idea, but inorder to make it work the items stolen has to be one of  a kind or taged in some way.

But I really like the idea about rumours and that. It would be fun to walk into an tavern and find people talking about other playser and what has happened, instead of the usual: \'Hey, you whana buy / Hey wana fight\'
Evolution: Ape to man, and now, man to ape.
Dont believe me? Turn on the TV and see for yourself!