Author Topic: Just a crazy, short idea  (Read 1021 times)

XpYtZ

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Just a crazy, short idea
« on: July 28, 2004, 08:53:45 pm »
The halls of Oran?er

Hidden deep in the labyrinthine caverns of Yliakum there lies a small network of tunnels known to many as the halls of Oran?er. Formed by a river that has long since dried up, the many caverns and connecting tunnels are a haunt for small spiders and lipoidic-worms both of which come in a variety of colors and all of which glow. In fact everything in the cavern glows, from the many mushrooms which grow there to the various crystals protruding from the walls and ceiling of the caverns.
As a person goes deeper and deeper into the caverns the many flora and fauna, which live in the cavers, become both larger and more dangerous.
There are seven main chambers each connected by tunnels of varying lengths and heights. There are than thirty secondary chambers, which have been created either through erosion or, in the more dangerous cases, creatures that live in the caverns.
The naming of the caverns comes from one of their discoverers who is said to have had his body buried in them, a practice frowned upon in the sociological structures of Yliakim. Oran?er was a wealthy alchemist and practitioner of Crystal magic. For some time many that visited the caverns believed that it was a direct result of his burial in them that the life in the caverns glowed. This belief gave rise to a cult, which for some time excluded all but its members from access to the caverns, and killed anyone who they found inside. Though the cult was quelled and free access to the halls regained there are rumors of a small sum of cult members who persists, to this day to annoy and in rare cases kill persons who they perceive to be ?defiling the sacred halls? but these reports have yet to be substantial zed.
The variety and abundance of life in the cavers attracts many alchemists and practitioners of magic to the halls for either study or collections of raw materials used in medicines and the like. There are also treasure hunters who frequent the halls looking for treasure supposedly buried with Oran?er or items dropped by weary travelers who happened to spend the night in the halls. The halls are defiantly not a safe place to rest or contemplate the nature of things, as many of the creatures and plants that live there are poisonous. Though most travelers think they will find better items or creatures in the secondary caverns of the halls the risks taken in reaching these areas can far outweigh any treasure that one would hope to find.

Some Creature profiles:
Lipiopod: The smallest and yet most ferocious of the many translucent, wormlike creatures that reside in the halls. They are approximately one and one half inches (38.1 mm) in length and come in a variety of colors from a deep magenta to a light blue and in rare cases bright green. The Greens are prized for use in health potions (contrary to the conventional thought that they would be the most poisonous) while the Reds and Blues are used for a variety of poisons. Though ones first thought would be that they are easy to kill, given their size, they are strangely resistant to magic and even seem to be healed by most attacks of that sort. Their only attack is to inject (via extreme pressure) a poison into their target. {Lipiopods are extremely aggressive creatures that live throughout the halls and can quickly become an overwhelming group as their poison will stun the victim.}

Mite spiders: a very small spider they are virtually harmless and succumb quickly to most attacks weather physical or magical. In truth they are worthless except for the harvesting of their silk glands that can be milked to make silk. However the size of the spider, and thusly the size of the silk glands make even this use almost pointless.
{Mite spiders are basically a creature for new players to get some money from. While they hang out with their guild friends (or normal friends) in the caverns. They do not glow, or shoot poison or do anything like that; unless you are more than twenty levels above them, if that is the case you better avoid their leap attack, as they like to blind you for hunting something so far beneath you.}

Fire Worms: a larger, red form of Lipiopods they have somehow gained the ability to shoot packets of flaming resin at their opponent, which explode on impact and cover the target in fire. The packets are worth a fair sum of money if you don?t get roasted. {They are about a foot (0.3048 Meters) in length and are more stout than you would think a worm should be. They have a visible channel, or tube, running through their body in which they store their fire packets.}

Acid Worms & Ice Worms: Just follow the idea laid out in the Fire Worms. You get the idea.

Acrid Spore pods: A semi-sentient mushroom that lives in the halls it has developed a natural ability to sense when a creature is to close for its own comfort. Its simple retaliation is to release a cloud of poisonous spores into the air, poisoning the creature. Alchemists prize them for their use in a variety of potions. {These guys are just a simple Flora for harvesting (it talks about this kind of thing on the main site) I like adding little twists to flora though. As with everything else in the caverns they glow (a striated series of blue lines on black) but not so much that you could use them for a light source. If you manage to pick one without having to drink an antidote or get healed you?re a lucky fellow.}

Crystal beast: These guys are one of the best reasons to stay clear of the halls. They are just another Lipiopod for the most part but they have taken to gluing together a shell of crystals to keep their tender bodies safe. Though they have a far weaker poison than their smaller kin they can take a great deal more damage than any other their smaller cousins. They are about four feet (1.2192 Meters) in length and are quite stout. They spit poison packets at their target. {These guys drop acid packets or a crystal. Sometimes you can even find the leftovers of a critter (or character) they ate inside them. A gooey search is involved though.}

Cult Member: The remnants of a cult which should have been quelled a long time ago, these are fairly new members. They are sentient and usually attack with either their bare hands or a dull dagger. They wear no armor, but are commonly shrouded in a dark, moth eaten cloak. {These dudes hang out in the unnatural caverns of the halls, watch out for them. They can drop anything that is natural to the caverns or, if equipped with one, their rusty, dull dagger. Pfft, like that will keep you out.}

Cult seer: These dudes are scary, being in the dark so long they look like walking dead, but don?t be fooled, they aren?t. They can cast a variety of spells but are dressed pretty much like cult members, unless you get one of the next guys.

Oran?er masters: These are the leaders of the cult and are really bad guys to get in a scuffle with. In fact id avoid them unless you can handle yourself pretty well. They occasionally accompany a group of Members or Seers out for a day of bothering the rest of us. They can cast a variety of support spells (mostly crystal and weak) but have some pretty wicked weapons made from the crystals in the caves. Oh and they know how to use them. They come three ways:
  • Oran?er Official: who wears no armor but has a wicked ceremonial dagger that you don?t want to get hit by.
  • Oran?er Overseer: the only difference between this guy and the last one is he wears a breastplate and knows some support magic.
  • Oran?er Master: ok this dude you should probably avoid until you have your magic resistance working pretty fair. Since he uses a mixture of Crystal way support magic and Red way offensive stuff
[/SIZE] .

That?s all I can think of for now but I would like to know some peoples thoughts on the idea. Not that the Dev?s will go for it in the slightest but, hey, nothing ventured nothing gained. Am I right?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 08:54:47 pm by XpYtZ »

Cybio Kingfist

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 09:37:37 pm »
Interesting. I liek the idea of all that danger, and having to dissect the creatures to find some things.
The steel priest is back and ready to start converting.

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 10:30:29 pm »
Very interesting...

However, I\'m not too sure this qualifies as a crazy short idea :P

But intriguing nonetheless!

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

XpYtZ

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 01:46:41 am »
If you don\'t think thats the short version I can post the Raw notes from when the idea struck me. I shortened about five pages off it.  8o

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 01:52:38 am »
Eep.

...five... ...pages...?

It was so detailed I thought that those must have been raw notes mixed in somewhere to make it long and... yeah

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Cyberchu

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 04:05:58 pm »
Great idea, good RP potential and now all we need is someone to make it
Under construction

It is through suggestions and critisisms that we improve our ideas

Remember to

shangralah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 01:50:29 am »
nice to see a good and very detailed idea for once

Entamis

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 03:55:02 am »
Good, detailed and original. :tup:
I\'d really like to see it.

FlippySeal

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 08:52:53 pm »
Five pages you say??!! Man, what a brainstorm that must have been!!

I like the idea!.... Why does everything people do make me feel stupid!!

OT: Interesting, Elessar, how the sword in your signature matches the one in Abemore\'s signature. What\'s the sword from??

XpYtZ

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 10:32:29 pm »
Wow. I thought this thread had died, nice to see some interest of a sudden.
My brainstorms are usually that way. I had four or five pages of notes on my character before I started to write his (yet unfinished) history.
Thanks for all the support folks. I\'ll have to do some more development on this one, seeing as you liked it.

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 07:41:48 am »
Woah, you have great ideas there my friend.  I think the Devs\'ll go for it considering how well thought out it is. :)
I\'ll keep an eye on this thread in hopes of future developments.

4-5 pages of brain storming?  Don\'t you guys mean \"Brain Hurricane\"?
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM