Author Topic: Ideas for Bards..  (Read 1338 times)

bangladeath

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Ideas for Bards..
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:56:37 am »
Ok, i was looking up conversations on musical instruments, and I agree that actual playable instruments would be great. I realize that siting down in a studio and recording countless instruments for the game would be a long and tiring proses. So here is the beauty of the idea, let the Player record there own music at home onto the game.The person would have to play acoustic instruments that existed in mid evil times, but at least that would add a diverse music seen, and If some one wanted to learn that music then the creator could sell the paper to them that would allow usage.

This would liven up inns, and bring entertainment to the musical aspect of the game.
Feel free to add input  :D
“Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour, and it can never be used to hurt you.”
― George R.R. Martin

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Bards..
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:07:14 am »
Feel free to consider the amount of bandwidth and storage capacity, all of which are donated FOC, this would require if 40k peoples decided to upload.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:14:21 am »
i would suggest you take a look at http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21400.0 expecially the section about "Familiarize yourself with PlaneShift's setting, goals, and current features."

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:22:55 am »
Hello

I must admit I didn't get the idea fully. Will some players stream their music (even through the planeshift client) or donate their music as background music in the tavern?
(This might also help me understanding the number of 40.000 people what... looks like really a lot for planeshift)

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:39:48 am »
Of course no reason the community could not share their music via some site or whatever, but I think it would be hard to have all within earshot have it streamed to them 'live'.

besides, I stil play without sound, so would be lost on my characters.  I should turn it on sometime and see if it enhances gameplay yet.

bangladeath

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 03:35:12 pm »
I meant that they could stream it through there characters from there computers, If the required file type was an Ogg like the music files in the game then it would only be a few kilobytes here and there.
“Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour, and it can never be used to hurt you.”
― George R.R. Martin

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:46:50 pm »
you think that the players, that have issues just getting the game to run, can make music files and get them into ogg format? Most players dont even have mics of good enough quality to record the music. Also bandwidth is something that ps devs consider with almost every change they make, they want to keep it as low as possible so that players dont get a ton of lag, and the server can be a bit more stable.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:41:21 pm »
you think that the players, that have issues just getting the game to run, can make music files and get them into ogg format? Most players dont even have mics of good enough quality to record the music.
Different skill sets.  There are a lot of people (myself included) who can record music, do midi, and play around with different file formats, but we don't know anything about code or building clients or fixing bugs that seem simple to people in the know.

Also bandwidth is something that ps devs consider with almost every change they make, they want to keep it as low as possible so that players dont get a ton of lag, and the server can be a bit more stable.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Akeera

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:17:19 am »
...but the most important thing in the career of bards are the lyrics and the stories they are telling with it, not the music only
* Akeera sings "My Lady d'Arbanville, why do you sleep so still?"

:love:

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:35:01 am »
midi is becoming each day less present in computers even more with software cards

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 02:27:07 pm »
midi is becoming each day less present in computers even more with software cards

And people are less likely to learn an instrument in proportion to things like karaoke and guitar hero becoming popular.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

bangladeath

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:40:48 pm »
...but the most important thing in the career of bards are the lyrics and the stories they are telling with it, not the music only
* Akeera sings "My Lady d'Arbanville, why do you sleep so still?"

:love:

Agreed, but if the people have the music itself then they can role play the lyrics. So one guitar track may have many different songs.
― George R.R. Martin

Samno

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 06:13:43 pm »
Can I suggest something simple?

all you need is 17 recorded notes, 8 blown, 8 strummed, and 1 beat.
An octave each, and a beat.

I'm not familiar with sound modification through programming but speeding up the notes or slowing them down should change their sound appropriately, would that work?

bangladeath

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 10:43:38 am »
Can I suggest something simple?

all you need is 17 recorded notes, 8 blown, 8 strummed, and 1 beat.
An octave each, and a beat.

I'm not familiar with sound modification through programming but speeding up the notes or slowing them down should change their sound appropriately, would that work?

that would be great, and as an addition those notes/beats could be learned and played via a tab like the spell book. :woot:
― George R.R. Martin

PhoenixRizin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • The end is important in all things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 06:07:32 pm »
or even start with all notes and have songs of increasing complexity that can be learned and put in said book like the spell book
and make them unique for each race. for example:

song 1 (learned at level 5) - simple song (like something you play in gradeschool ie london bridge or three blind mice)
song 2 (learned at level 10) - war song (simple tune to march to battle to...maybe even give a stat bonus to someone it is played to)
song 3 (learned at level 15) - love song (just a love ballad...maybe increases charm stat for short period after playing)
song 4 (learned at level 20) - concierto/sonata/some large and complex piece

and... at any level have a book like the books we have now where players can write a song and store it in their collection to be played later.

and as was previously stated, all thats needed is 8 notes per instrument.
and if you really want to embellish (i can hear the server spec complaints already) there is a book in the library detailing instruments by race. make 8 notes for each of those.

sorry...me makes music...me got excited when me saw this thread.
"Just give me a wench an' a brew!" -The Remyl