Author Topic: Grinding and Roleplay  (Read 2340 times)

Sillamon

Re: Grinding and Roleplay
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:19 pm »
What I usually see especially now, while making this post is people with their characters just standing around not role playing or grinding. Just staring at each other ::| 

That sucks...

Try talking to one of them. RP bumping into them, or something. If they don't react and everyone is doing this then its time to log out and find a better game. If  you roleplay fairly well or at least average then send me a PM and I'll point you to  some other free RP games.

eh .. ps - You will need to spam the forum until your post count is up to 10 or 15 before you can send a pm.
Silly rule if you ask me.

bangladeath

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 10:12:31 am »
I've always built my role playing around my characters stats, why role play a fight when your character is adept in certain skills? The two should Co-Exist, putting that work into a character would make RP more rewarding wouldn't it? >o)
“Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour, and it can never be used to hurt you.”
― George R.R. Martin

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15:08 am »
The two should Co-Exist, putting that work into a character would make RP more rewarding wouldn't it? >o)

We are in agreement, yet many players which pre-date much of the present day game mechanics pine for the days when glory could be had without the pain.

- Nova

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 05:29:15 pm »
It depends on how you define the word.

...Glory... ::)

-sig by sarras

Phage

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 07:13:04 pm »
I've always built my role playing around my characters stats, why role play a fight when your character is adept in certain skills?
Good attitude, I always disliked chars being played skilled while in fact that char was never trained.
But I had numerous RPed fights respecting the skill levels, and such always outperformed dueling regarding storytelling and coloring a fight in a narrative way. While a duel lasted for a few seconds and was forgotten within the same time, a respectfully RPed fight I kept precious in my memory.

And from my own experience, a death from RPed fights was taken more serious into account, while deaths from duels were overcome by merely exiting the DR since thats consequently playing according to mechanics, and the killer faced his victim already short time after.
Over there, lurking from safe distance.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 01:06:27 am »
You make good points Phage. A real compromise would be a third option to the PvP configuration which would allow the contestants to progress through the battle one strike at a time in alternate turns. A swing would be made and then the next player could wait until they were ready to continue with their swing and then back to the other. They may decide to make a description of how the blow affected them, or some comment to the other character, etc..

In this way one would get the full impact of game mechanics yet allow the experience to be slowed down to the speed of the players' desired.RP  You could then have all the detail given in RP combat (which is no question a cool part of it) yet rely on the game mechanics to decide true outcome.

- Nova

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »
Interesting topic.  I agree with the points Lou made way back when in the OP. 

I play two main characters, and a small slew of others.  One of my mains is a grinding character.  She is a crazy, axe-wielding, Dark Way using nutjob.  I RP with her often, and I grind on her a lot.  Right now, I play her as having a fairly decent DW skill, while in fact, she's got a pathetic level.  I don't have time to train it up along with everything else, but it is entirely IC for her to spend hours training.  She doesn't like people.  She avoids them, and would rather spend all her time killing things.   I do a lot of duelling, and some PvP incidents like muggings and the like.  If someone wants to RP a fight, I'm fine with that.  If they want to PvP it, I still have a few options.  If it's a newbie player, I don't have to use my q300 axes on them.  I can fight with blunter axes [not telling them of course] to level things out a bit.  I can use crappy armor, or take them on without armor atall.  It's all about being able to work game mechanics into RP.  And it should never be about winning all the time.  I personally find PvP more fun than a dice roll, but honestly, I like RP fighting the best.

I will never forget the first encounter I had with Marsuveus, where it said he was "intelligent as a stone and frail and feeble."  Tesh still walked away from that fight with a gaping wound in her side that required half an emu's worth of gauze to patch up.  It's all about give and take, and making it fun for everyone. 
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 05:27:52 pm »

She doesn't like people. She avoids them, and would rather spend all her time killing things.   

And giving small jobs to off the well lit path tri souled Klyros  ;D

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 06:13:28 pm »
You make good points Phage. A real compromise would be a third option to the PvP configuration which would allow the contestants to progress through the battle one strike at a time in alternate turns. A swing would be made and then the next player could wait until they were ready to continue with their swing and then back to the other. They may decide to make a description of how the blow affected them, or some comment to the other character, etc..

In this way one would get the full impact of game mechanics yet allow the experience to be slowed down to the speed of the players' desired.RP  You could then have all the detail given in RP combat (which is no question a cool part of it) yet rely on the game mechanics to decide true outcome.

- Nova

You're thinking of something similar to older Final Fantasy or Heroes of Might & Magic style of combat? Could make things interesting... Also agree to make it a 3rd choice instead of switching it with the options already available.
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 09:17:56 pm »
You're thinking of something similar to older Final Fantasy or Heroes of Might & Magic style of combat?

Not familiar with either of the above.

- Nova

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 10:54:14 am »
Not familiar with either of the above.

- Nova
Turn-based combat, basically. A quick youtube-search will show you, although they use more creatures at once. But if this were to get implemented down the line, I would imagine group combat looking similar to it. Or if one of the duellers uses summoned creatures  :sorcerer:
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident