Author Topic: Oblivion style sword fights in PS (with sof2 demonstration)  (Read 521 times)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Oblivion style sword fights in PS (with sof2 demonstration)
« on: February 14, 2009, 01:18:03 pm »
Soldier of Fortune 2 (multiplayer), released 2003:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9UB-aQALo

Daggerfall, released 1996:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PucKVuzMSe0

With the way players use hit and run attacks and other player-skill-based acrobatics, they're playing the game like one would play Soldier of Fortune.  There have been requests in the past for combat in PlaneShift to become more like this.  I also posted a clip of combat in an elderscrolls game because I remember that being the specific inspiration for the wish - the poster mentioned using mouse movements to control the motion of the weapon.  Combat in SOF2 would be closer to what combat in PlaneShift could be, since both are multiplayer games.  (For those who don't know, you attack with the knife in SOF2 by clicking the mouse.  Where you look is where you aim.)

There are a few objections.  One objection was that it isn't technically feasible.  Well, it is technically feasible.  There are multiplayer shooters based on the crystal space engine.  Another objection is that lag would make such a combat system impossible to tolerate.  Well, lag already has a noticeable affect on combat, and it doesn't stop anyone.  Plus there are various fixes that could be used like decreasing running speed or limiting characters to walking while in combat mode.

There's a third objection that I don't believe has been raised, so I'll raise it here:  The violence factor.  Manually controlling a blade to kill another living creature is psychologically much more violent than having such actions automated.  Still, there are already things about PlaneShift that aren't PG, however those things are in the process of being reexamined after I raised concerns about them on the forum.

This is not a wish since I am not requesting any new features or any changes to existing features.  I'm simply linking to a few videos and explaining how they're relevant to the development of PlaneShift while leaving room for discussion on my reaction to said materials.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Oblivion style sword fights in PS (with sof2 demonstration)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »
It hasn't made it to the dev blog yet but serious investigation into how to handle combat dynamically is being done. Don't expect changes for a solid 8 months or so imo. I've asked xordan to view these links.

Also note: It isn't worth anyone's time to philosophize on what does and doesn't fit into a PG context for planeshift as regards fighting or any other content originating with the development team. We will be keeping our own counsel on this matter and won't welcome being policed by users' subjective views of what is or isn't appropriate.

The PG is used by us a rough guideline to do the best to make things family friendly as we care to. We aren't bound by law or plan to remain on that track.

We ask that the players keep themselves to this pg standard to avoid some obvious pitfalls of online communities while we are hammering out features.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:31:45 pm by Xillix Queen of Fools »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »
Also note: It isn't worth anyone's time to philosophize on what does and doesn't fit into a PG context for planeshift as regards fighting or any other content originating with the development team. We will be keeping our own counsel on this matter and won't welcome being policed by users' subjective views of what is or isn't appropriate.
Good sir, isn't there a fair degree of difference between philosophizing and policing?

The PG is used by us a rough guideline to do the best to make things family friendly as we care to. We aren't bound by law or plan to remain on that track.

We ask that the players keep themselves to this pg standard to avoid some obvious pitfalls of online communities while we are hammering out features.
So the PG rating is for player behaviour, not game content?

Edit: 
I've asked xordan to view these links.

Cool! \\o//
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:34:39 pm by zanzibar »
Immaturity is FTW.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 02:43:44 pm »
I don't want anyone to spend their time raising concerns about approved content that has made it into the game and making a public debate about whether it fits PS or not in the sense of its appropriateness. We the developers will be the final arbitrators on what is or isn't right for PlaneShift and our removing approved content simply isn't likely to happen on the basis of how individuals or even groups of people respond to said works. Our process is very systematic and goes through no less than a dozen adult people of sound mind whose best interests are to advance the playability of the game. It is quite likely that much is improved over how things were handled many years ago, and content today receives much more thorough review before making it in game.

Is there room for gray area? Sure. I just don't want to spend a bunch of time caring that someone got uptight about their impression of content and have debates about it. 

As regards player behavior we ask that people keep it friendly and mind the rules we've posted. If infractions are perceived by individuals please use the petition or report features and allow our gms to consult with the devs on how to enforce those rules. I don't want to see threads made of things we can handle calmly and internally.

I think we can all agree that when we're trying to prove our points things easily get out of hand and fall into interesting, though useless, logic/rhetorical gamesmanship on forums. 

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:53:08 pm »
I obviously can't comment on the internal workings of the development team since I have only anecdotal information on it, but I've found that ideas always benefit from having a soundboard.  Focus groups do wonders, and my instinct is to defend discussions since they build a sense of community and trust.

Still, I'm someone who prefers to work with specific examples, and what you posted is very general so I'm not in a position to respond too intelligently to it.  All I really wanted to talk about was sword fighting. :)
Immaturity is FTW.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:37:39 pm »
"Focus groups do wonders"

For managing your expectations to the lowest common denominator, yes.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 06:59:56 pm »
"Focus groups do wonders"

For managing your expectations to the lowest common denominator, yes.

It depends on what data you go after and what you do with the data you collect.  A focus group can be comprised of your target market or of the general population or of a specific demographic within either of those categories or an unmentioned category.  And then there's the whole question of what questions you ask and how you ask those questions, and then what changes if any you make based on the answers you get.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:18:59 pm by zanzibar »
Immaturity is FTW.

Prolix

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 07:27:43 pm »
Focus groups are normally limited to those people who are interested  in participating in focus groups for whatever reason. I generally do not do surveys although if they pay me I might. Then there are mandatory surveys such as the census. I think most people prefer to not be bothered by them.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 07:45:46 pm »
Focus groups are normally limited to those people who are interested  in participating in focus groups for whatever reason. I generally do not do surveys although if they pay me I might. Then there are mandatory surveys such as the census. I think most people prefer to not be bothered by them.

Well it also depends on how you define focus group.  Posting a poll to a forum for instance, does that fit into the definition?  Maybe.  What if the developers built up a list of their favourite players, and then sent those players personal invitations to give their opinions on various features, ideas, and whatnot?  Just an example.
Immaturity is FTW.