Author Topic: Defining Professionalism  (Read 1273 times)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Defining Professionalism
« on: May 14, 2009, 03:55:49 am »
Professionalism is a mask you wear around the clock to certain people.  You can't be professional with people in one setting and then "yourself" in another; once the mask is lifted, it can never be put back on without consequence.

Professionalism might be the wrong word, and it probably doesn't translate well.  Leadership may be another way of saying it.

Do you agree or disagree with this?  Is it true?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Defining Professionalism
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:24:43 am »
First inclination is to agree, as all the worlds a stage. Of course, things really aren't static with people... meaning that "professionalism" and other characteristics tend to evolve as someone gets older (at least we hope).

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:43:59 am »
There's a lot I didn't include... I'm just focusing on one aspect of it.  One aspect of the aspect among many.
Immaturity is FTW.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:29:13 am »
I dont agree

Professionalism is a mask you wear in certain circumstances. You can and do behave differently depending on where and what you are doing, its not dependent on the person you are interacting with.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 09:54:19 am »
If you've ever studied you would know that even though your fellow students are your friends (at least some), you will have to be professional when working with them on projects or else things will certainly go wrong. It's hard to tell someone whom you like he's wrong about something, or that he should change his attitude, but you have to do that. Once you get past the fear that people will hate you for it, you can deal with people as friends (be yourself) and professionally at the same time.

It certainly gets harder in a less-casual work environment though.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:30:34 pm »
From Merrriam Webster

pro·fes·sion·al·ism 
Pronunciation: \-ˈfesh-nə-ˌli-zəm, -ˈfe-shə-nə-ˌli-\
Function: noun
Date: 1856
1 : the conduct, aims, or qualities that characterize or mark a profession or a professional person
2 : the following of a profession (as athletics) for gain or livelihood

1pro·fes·sion·al 
Pronunciation: \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1606
1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
—   pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It makes me wonder about the man who went out to a client to get work for his newly formed computer company. He arrived there in a tee shirt and shorts, wearing sandals thinking that he could sell his computer knowledge to them no matter what. It is no wonder that the one that went out to the same client wearing a shirt and tie with clean shoes got the work even though the first one was certainly more qualified to do the job. The only sad part was the lady, who was better then both men, did not even try because she would have done a far better job and been more professional then both of them.

I fail to see why being a professional has to be a ‘mask you wear in certain circumstances.’ A professional is a person who should be proud of what they have achieved and who they have become. I know I am. It is something to be worn with an arrogant smile because it is so rare these days.

On a lighter note: zanzibar I wonder if you have anything else to do with your time then post in the PlaneShift forums? Arrogance is mine to hold dear, yes it is!
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »
On a lighter note: zanzibar I wonder if you have anything else to do with your time then post in the PlaneShift forums?
My stats:

3 posts on May 13th
2 posts on May 12th
7 posts May 11th
2 posts May 10th
4 posts May 9th

And so on.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:44:37 pm by zanzibar »
Immaturity is FTW.

Rigwyn

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:59:08 pm »
From Merrriam Webster

pro·fes·sion·al·ism 
Pronunciation: \-ˈfesh-nə-ˌli-zəm, -ˈfe-shə-nə-ˌli-\
blah blah blah

* Rigwyn swings swiftly and swats an annoying gadfly

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:14:53 pm »
Yes all of us Professionals are annoying. It is a great thing!!

Also I have good news. I think I found a new game to play. They have a great community and I really like it.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:28:52 pm by Mathy Stockington »
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:23:10 pm »
Yes all of us Professionals are annoying. It is a great thing!!
I didn't call you annoying.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:44:45 pm by zanzibar »
Immaturity is FTW.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:27:27 pm »
I do.  Mathy, just because Zanzibar has a reputation for being somewhat annoying doesn't give you leave to behave immaturely towards him.  I'm disappointed in you.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:25:38 pm »
I do.  Mathy, just because Zanzibar has a reputation for being somewhat annoying doesn't give you leave to behave immaturely towards him.  I'm disappointed in you.

Mathy acts immature in general, not just to me.  I didn't take it personally at all.  I'm not disappointed because like I said, Mathy has known tendencies.

Also:  The biggest reason I have a reputation is because people like you insist I have a reputation.  :P
Immaturity is FTW.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:42:32 pm »
And if I didn't then you wouldn't have a reputation and I wouldn't have half as much fun as I do now.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

hitancrias

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 12:53:12 am »
 :D Okay back on topic:

I don't really believe in a "mask" and a "real you". In different settings you just show different aspects of your character. Sometimes you feel the need to impress, sometimes you are at ease, sometimes there is a difference in status. In that sense, there is no fundamental difference between professional and private settings.

Maybe the word you (Zanzibar) are looking for is "distance"? I mean the degree in which you have an understanding with somebody or feel a connection or a similarity. I think you can have an understanding with somebody regardless of the setting. Not sure if that's what you mean at all.  Maybe you can give an example to clarify your question?
Hitancrias. Herbalist. Explorer.

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 03:27:41 pm »
Professionalism is a mask you wear around the clock to certain people.  You can't be professional with people in one setting and then "yourself" in another; once the mask is lifted, it can never be put back on without consequence.

Professionalism might be the wrong word, and it probably doesn't translate well.  Leadership may be another way of saying it.

Do you agree or disagree with this?  Is it true?

Interesting question, but perhaps it could benefit from being clarified as to what exactly you mean to ask about.