Author Topic: Settings Expanded  (Read 1142 times)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
Settings Expanded
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:42:44 pm »
Currently there is no actual plot in-game. Which is a shame. It's hard to ask players to be in charge of RP when they haven't got an orientation. What should we RP about? Interactions between players are limited by the lack of depth of economic and political factors in PS. And it's normal, since we're at a very early stage.

But there's something that could give everyone a bit of an orientation, while fixing some gaps here and there.

When I joined PS, I heard of a Dome that was attacked by cruel beasts from beyond the Bronze Doors. I thought the idea was enthralling. It's not much of a plot, but I'd like to see it actually implemented, since it could explain why our characters can not reach the other places of Yliakum.
Maybe some of the Doors were breached, and wild monsters roam around threatening the life of every wander who would venture there? And fortunately some of the areas have been cleared out, allowing safe passage to them. Good thing we got rid of them flying evil monsters in the area as well, so now our Pterossaurs can freely fly here and there.

But in order to make the above feel real, it would be great if some randomly generated aggressive (as in they attack without being attacked) creatures spawned near cities, at roads etc, requiring some of Hydlaa's people to band against them from time to time.
It'd at last give some guilds some actual purpose.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
Re: Settings Expanded
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:46:56 pm »
Seconded :whistling:

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:08:31 pm »
thirdededed
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »
 :thumbup: good idea. Forthed
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »
fifthed!

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:59:51 am »
We've got the majority of the forum, i vote this be passed already.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy

Abuse?

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 01:46:43 am »
Good idea.

In general, non aggressive creatures are mostly static - standing in one place. This isn't realistic either. They can at least roam in certain area.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:58:51 am »
Good idea.

In general, non aggressive creatures are mostly static - standing in one place. This isn't realistic either. They can at least roam in certain area.
The trepors by oja roam freely, and some of them do attack when you come near, one of my alts got unexpectadly killd by the queen. they also call for help. But things like cuttrhoats rogues, dlayos, gladiators, all humanoid type monsters should sneak up

Abuse?

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 04:39:08 pm »
8'thed, to bad it wont happen for years. =(

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 07:00:46 pm »
The trepors by oja roam freely, and some of them do attack when you come near, one of my alts got unexpectadly killd by the queen. they also call for help. But things like cuttrhoats rogues, dlayos, gladiators, all humanoid type monsters should sneak up
Yes, I noticed that in that location not far from the river. Though in other places (like outside Hydlaa near the road to Gugrontid/BD) they stay in one place. Is it implemented only partially?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:10:46 pm »
Funny. There are roleplayers which left PlaneShift due to too many plots of drama and MDK. There is always someone criticizing just the opposite. :D

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:33 am »
Yes, I noticed that in that location not far from the river. Though in other places (like outside Hydlaa near the road to Gugrontid/BD) they stay in one place. Is it implemented only partially?
Its fully implemented, it works fine. Its simply turned off, as they have had issues with the various things.
Auto paths: Npcs are known for falling off maps, that is why its turned off for this.
Attacking before attacked: Many players complained about monsters they didnt realize were following them, killing them while they were in a loading screen, this was turned off, until it can be better done.
Calling For Help: I dont know too many details for this, but there 'might' be the chance of monsters calling the help of unrelated other monsters such as a rat calling a rogue.

Abuse?

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 02:13:03 am »
One of the ways to improve this could be sounds. I.e. an approaching monster (unless it's a sneaky one) can make noise. This could alert to their approach.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 04:23:08 pm »
Ligh, my idea isn't to actually implement any drama. It's just a way to excuse some gaps while generating material for player oriented roleplay (road attacks, city attacks, etc. would be daily events some characters would live of).
I think the only hard thing to do here is actually code the script to randomly spawn aggressive Rogues/Consumers/etc. here and there and to include some talks in NPCs about the never ending threat beyond the Doors.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 06:46:49 pm »
I know, Sangwa. Sorry, missed the "Sarcasm Sign"â„¢. ;)

The Settings are full of gaps, of course. But how fine do they need to be woven? People tend to fill gaps by their little plots bit by bit. Some of that may become part of the settings. Others is found to be not fitting after years of its own development...

Settings develop like all the other parts of the game. Unfortunately, there is probably already much more developed than published. You might be kicking against open doors.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty