Author Topic: Musical Instruments.  (Read 688 times)

illusive wolf

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Musical Instruments.
« on: December 10, 2003, 08:07:00 pm »
Hi guy\'s , I think a Music System would be cool. My Son used to play a game.( First Star Online) it used to have ,musical instruments that you could play. Once you built your house you could invite all your friends around and have a party. As long as you knew the music you could play any song. Everyone used to stand around and drop money on the ground while he played. Plus he made plenty of money teaching everyone how to play a song. (lol)   I think there would be a lot of people who would agree with me on this subject.

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 08:21:37 pm »
OMG thats such a good idea! please devs make musical instruments that \"work\" you know what i mean. also this brings up another thing. i think money should be assigned to a character when playing so the player earns the money and somebody doesnt steal thier money. sure you can do this in real life but this would just be plain rude and super annoying in the game for someone who wants to make a living being a musician. oooh this whole musician thing is such a good idea. in fact maybe the devs should make a system like xbox live uses for live sound. that way us real musicians could just play into our speakers and everyone all over the world could hear us.. OMG IM SO EXCITED IM JIZZING MY PANTS... so many possiblities... i wanna play my guitar to everyone right now!!! :D

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 09:45:08 pm »
this too has already been answered. There\'s a job called job called musician, just read the main site. And umm whemyfield, what you do in your pants is your business, please don\'t tell us your...in your pants
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 07:47:02 am »
do you think im stupid? of course i know there is a job musician! my god. but waht im asking is actual instruments. just because there is a job doesnt mean there will be real instruments or a way to play an instrument through a live feed line in planeshift. and i have a right to discuss what is going in my pants! they are my pants... :P

frumbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 11:08:02 pm »
maybe it\'s just me but the music system is Asherson Call 2 *sucked*. Lets have *variety* and maybe some hard to find instuments, and the ability to refine them (say, to make them play always in tune!)

Commando

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 02:50:38 am »
Yeah! My 100th post!

I think its a good ide. I just dont like that with the \"play-in-the-real-and-it-sounds-in-the-game\" idea.. Maby like a xylophone or some other easy intrument...
Commando R-I-P

Crj

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 04:44:07 am »
This was already planed... dont know if the developers will realy add that.
Look at PlaneShift\\rules\\jobs.xml
A new day, a new failure!

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 12:31:51 pm »
god you people dont listen. of couse they have posted a job. i mean i have seen musicial 300 times but they havnt made any official comments on musicial instruments. stop saying the same thing as everyone else and expect a different response.

Crj

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 12:37:08 pm »
Job: Musician
Class: The Artists
Skills:
Singing
Musical Instrument    
Storytelling
Persuasion

So, they already had that idea.
A new day, a new failure!

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 12:53:13 pm »
???? my god... you\'ve smoked your self retarded. do you not think i understand that it says that? do you not think that i know they have said there may be musical instruments. but the fact of the matter is that they havnt released anything official saying that they will no doubt have musical instruments THAT WORK. OR musical instruments at all. Usually when they dont release anything official about something like instruments they dont put them in game. they have even said they may not have the job musician at all! cmon people. listen dont speak if you dont know what your talking about... :(

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 02:21:54 pm »
Whemy:  
Not everyone reading this thread has the intimate knowledge of the few mentions of music that have been made in the job descriptions.  Just because their reply *isn\'t* a dev jumping out and saying \"Yes whemy, I shall grant your wish and now everyone can toss virtual coins into your virtual hat, and we can all listen to your *awful* guitar playing...\" Ok, so I\'m turning into a troll here, but to say \"dont speak if you dont know what your talking about\" is grossly unfair to everyone on the message board.  I would suggest that NONE of us know what we\'re talking about, not even the almighty devs :)

Anyway, live audio is difficult because if it goes through the server, it sucks up the bandwidth, and if it is peer-to-peer, then it could be considered a security/privacy risk, as the server is handing out IP addresses for players.  And it *still* sucks up the bandwidth, but not as badly.
The best shot at working instruments is probably either prerecorded songs (would get boring pretty quick) or MIDI style musical commands, allowing people to write and perform songs... but creating an interface to do this would take some serious effort for a small part of the game - i.e. it might happen in the distant future when they have twice as many developers.

(and no, we don\'t want to know what you did in your pants, and \"free speech\" isn\'t guaranteed on message boards.  Please.  Think of the children.)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 07:45:36 pm »
i dont care if people can get my ip through the live mic. it would be so cool. plus everyone should have a pretty good firewall anyways. it would so outweigh the cons, cus people could sing, or talk, or play a musical instrument FOR REAL! it would be so awesome! so a live p2p link line would be so awesome. and they are fixing the lag. its not going to be a deal anymore.

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 08:17:55 pm »
The current \"lag\" is not due to a lack of bandwidth, but to the framerate of the engine itself (due to freaking huge map and a graphics engine that is still improving).
Voicechat has been discussed somewhere else, but some people think that Planeshift isn\'t really an appropriate place for it- after all, the game is supposedly about your *character*, which is theoretically independant from you.  That is to say, even though I can play the piano, my character might not be able to, and vice versa.
Still, I\'m all for working musical instruments.  There are also peer-to-peer audio systems that you could set up with your friends (used for FPS games, I think)

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 08:54:25 pm »
yes but if there isnt one in game then no one but your friends will hear you so you cant really make money. wat are you going to do ask someone to download your peer to peer software to hear you and then give you money? i dont think so. if they made working instruments they would have to play like a piano its impossible for it not to. i can play guitar but im not fluent with any other instruments and people who can sing, well they cant be a musician at all! also this game isnt about a character indepent of you, its about you! your supposed to be in the world, not a character. Peer to peer should either be in game or the site should distribute some sort of software on the site for people to host thier live radio shows, musical instruments or whatever. there has to be some way for a musician to get money in this game!

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 03:03:07 am »
this game isnt about a character indepent of you, its about you! your supposed to be in the world, not a character.

Perhaps you have confused this with some sort of giant chat room.  In a Role Playing Game you Play a Role.  If being a bard meant that I had to haul a freaking piano up next to my computer, and play the same songs over and over again, after purchasing a microphone... why then, I might as well just haul said piano down to the liquor store and *actually* make *money* (although probably not much :) ) In-game voicechat (along with music) destroys the \"suspension of disbelief\" that makes a role playing game special.  

there has to be some way for a musician to get money in this game!

If by that you mean \"there has to be a way for a REAL LIFE musician to get IN GAME money\" then I heartily disagree.  If you\'re a RL musician, make some RL money.  If you mean an IN GAME musician making IN GAME money, then I heartily support it - there\'s no reason why music in a lightweight midi format can\'t be distributed.  Singers may just have to make do with typing... we could even make the computer \"sing\" for us (wouldn\'t that be ... special)

If you\'re wanting to share your music with the world, there are probably more appreciative audiences than the denizens of Planeshift.