Author Topic: Not sure whether this is acceptable, but...  (Read 790 times)

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Not sure whether this is acceptable, but...
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:26:13 pm »
I wish to run a market event in Ojaveda. My clan will provide security, and it will be the first event run by the now-forming Alliance of Enkidukai.

The issue is this: I wish to rent out the stalls in Ojaveda, for a low price (25-100 Tria per hour) as a way of raising funds, and making the market/fair worthwhile for the members of my clan that help with security work. It's justified in RP, as you usually have to pay for a spot at any normal market, but from what I understand it probably isn't acceptable in the PlaneShift community.

I would like to see if people would mind paying a small fee to rent a stall in Ojaveda for a few hours, in the name of good RP and some fun, as well as making money by selling ores, food, looted goods, etc.

There will be additional rules on displays as well, and we hope to make this a regular event. We also want to discount Enkidukai traders, and especially Enkidukai traders from the Akkaio Clan, who to our OOC understanding are the merchant caste.

Do note that if you make an Akkaio alt and wish to use him as your trader to get the discount, that's fine :D so long as you put a little effort into dressing him for the role etc.

Feedback please.

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://salonatest.sa.funpic.de/CoD_banner1.jpg
Re: Not sure whether this is acceptable, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:22:26 pm »
 I don't see it as a bad idea. Since the fee is to be used to provide security. The racial discount is unappealing. I would reconsider that, and let everyone pay they own fair share. If those merchants are of the Alliance holding the event all fine and good, still you should consider how it is to be worded, or not worded for better response and/or participation. Ojaveda could use the attention no doubt in my mind there. Being a dwarf with a good resource based in Hydlaa. It doesn't look good for me to make arrangements for the transfer of several goods if I know I will be treated as an outsider in a community I have in the past supported wholeheartedly.

I do not see a problem with renting stalls at all. The fees for a stand to participate are fair in my opinion. Regularity is the plus here as long as the fees don't get jacked up later to some unquestionable amount. regularity means that merchants can transfer their goods there and know that they can leave them in that area without moving them again soon, so it caters to their needs.

Ojaveda is a hard place to start. You may want to consider holding another event or recruiting another event to help draw interest into that area.  A few events occurring in the area around the same time period (week or so) to help generate some interest. Nothing major just some things to spark up the population about Ojaveda's potential. But definitely go with the market, talk to a few other groups about planning some action up that way too. Then let the events work for each other to draw support. This is just a suggestion from what I seen work in the past.

If you are going to hold a market there, give at least a few weeks notice of the posted date, It will take some a few days for merchants to transfer goods up that way. So give them plenty of time to work that out. If I can be on during  the posted time I will be there. If not I would be interested in doing something around your market to help bring players up that way.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 12:55:06 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

As far as the discounts go, it's simply because the Alliance are extremely loyal to Enkidukai. More than anything, they are a union with the sole ideal of making Enki life better. As you can imagine, Ojaveda's economic cliimate is rather dull at the moment, and Hydlaa's is recessed but still going, OOCly caused by lack of players on Laanx, and those players seem to be mostly in Hydlaa/Gugrontid where there is more chance of RP.

With your comments in mind, we may reduce the discount to only Akkaio Enkidukai merchants, and also look at having the more central stalls as "premium" and therefore you cannot get them with discount and they are more expensive. This way, it is fairly balanced, Akkaio Enkis get cheaper stalls, but the quality of those stalls is cheaper also.

I was also thinking for a smaller fee (10 Tria per hour perhaps) anyone could come and lay a carpet in a designated area and have their stall there.

As far as related events go, I was thinking of a sort of "Opening Festival" for the Alliance around the same time, but this will depend on how many Member Guilds join and are willing to help out. The markets would hopefully become a regular thing, but this is dependant on the market's success.

Thanks for the advice Jaycol, it is good to see an expert on such things giving me advice :)

Also, stalls need not be used for selling goods only. I can well imagine Eurac having a stall for some gambling and games, etc.

One of my own Akkaio alts will be running some sort of stall that I am not planning on making any profit on, just having him there for RP, giving away free beer samples or something like that. So this market is not just for those interested in the PlaneShift ingame merchantry, it's also for all sorts of RP.

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:43:12 am »
 I don't really have a problem with the local merchants getting a discount, I only state that on how it may be worded. The local community should have some discount or privilege You could add something in as a community build project to weigh that out. I do like that the better tables should stay at a standing rental fee, and the part of looking into different prices at different locations. That may be the best approach with it.

The markets would hopefully become a regular thing, but this is dependant on the market's success.

This is the tricky part.  ;D The first market may or may not be successful. I think most times they are if you take the time to lead players into it. In setting it up regularly it will go through a series of hits and busts. Don't be discouraged by it. After a bust the next one may be one of the best markets you ever attended. So don't judge it on the first one. The success isn't in the numbers. Success is providing those that attend the entertainment you offered. So, if you have one customer and they are happy (say "Thanks Mom") you can build from that.

A one time event usually brings a good flow of participation, regularity takes time to build, but it will grow. Many attempts and tests have been done over the last few years. I would suggest from what I learned from those and the ones that I helped with that you pick set day and time period. Say like the first Saturday of each month at 1700 UTC for example. That gives you and your Alliance and the merchants a set time table that they know will not change. One a month is probably best if you are looking at regularity. The set time and place will also allow the market to work on its own if for instance you can not attend. The easier you make it for Merchants that come to attend the better the chances that they will become regular participants. So all that is left for you to do is to give them a friendly reminder and to advertise the market.

Customers are another matter. I read your guild thread so it goes in line with what I suggested earlier about building smaller activities around your markets for support. I think that once that becomes comfortable the market will later be the support for events in that area. Persistence is the key. If it is worth doing and your willing to do it, once players see that they will add to it.

Ojaveda is a tough area, and needs a lot of work. Many have stressed that. Some have held events in that area, none that were planned to show a step towards regularity. That may be the issue here that is needed. If you provide the markets, I think it will be a great center point to work from. I am more then sure there are a few groups out there that would like to bring some interest to Ojaveda again.

As far as related events go, I was thinking of a sort of "Opening Festival" for the Alliance around the same time,
I think DOX had something similar in mind for Ojaveda too. After we did the Unodin Ceremony. Siteya was looking at some type of harvest festival later in the year. I don't think they will be kicking that off this year. You might find some support there. If the two ideas can be blended to mutual satisfaction it may be worth considering. I think it could offer a good draw for supporting events and RP's to kick off your markets. Definitely worth the time to look into. I offered my assistance in that (for all the help they gave in the spring, which was no small task for them) That offer is still stands. I owe them a big favor there. So again worth considering.

I'll post a link here from the Merchant thread. It has some tips for markets and Merchants. It needs added to and updated I am sure but may be helpful.
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=35165.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:46:48 am by jaycol »

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 03:58:06 pm »
Again, thank you for your help Jaycol, it's much appreciated.

When we begin to organize the events that will lead up to the first market, I'll make sure you're in the loop. Your advice has proved priceless already.

What I am thinking I may need now is a "map" of Ojaveda, especially the Akkaio Central part... I'll either hand draw this or see if I can find one on the net somewhere. That way I can label the stalls and their price, and possibly designate the "cheap seat" areas for those who just wish to set down a rug and go from there.

I'll read that thread you linked in depth now.

Thanks again :D

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:21:01 pm »
If it will save you some time, there are three sets of tables there. and two open shops

The primary tables are at the corner near the potion shop (2)
secondary, behind the hide shop (3)
third across the way just up the other ramp (1)
One shop by the potion shop
one shop by Toda
(I think those numbers are right)
So the area near the potion shop would cost most
the hide shop not as much, and a carpet anywhere in between the two shops
The shops of course would cost to rent
Everything else  like the table across the way(because of location) and the open ground behind or near Brados would be the low costing areas

Those are the areas, how you divide it up is up to you.

Makron

• Traveller
  • Return what is ours
    • View Profile
    • MoM
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:30:34 pm »
I have map of all parts

[Edit: sorry but a map that detailed is a spoiler and not allowed on these forums
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:05:40 am by Mordraugion »

Lhaa

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »
If you're going to post what's considered a spoiler at least don't post stuff with the author's URL in it. ;)

Raekh

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 07:52:49 pm »
I have map of all parts

Cunning Move, Master of Moves!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:06:00 am by Mordraugion »

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 08:44:39 pm »
Thank you for the map Raek...

I will blot out the NPC locations and make an attempt at organizing the map into locations.

I may just redraw it, using that map as a "stencil" of sorts.

Is it a "spoiler" to have a basic map of the internals without any NPC/Quest locations for the purpose of organising a market?