Author Topic: Saddening Attitudes.  (Read 3455 times)

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Saddening Attitudes.
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:04:36 am »
I've noticed a sad trend lately.

Rather than lending a helping hand to newer, less experienced players on Laanx, alot of the RP community put them off due to a single 'lol' in Main or a smilie.

They get "[No OOC in Main.]" as if it's an automated reply. When I was new, I was lucky to not get this kind of stonefaced behaviour, instead, the RPer explained IC/[OOC] and how to act in Main.

I've seen it on the forums, someone asking about a non-RP server and being told to find a new game.

Then these very same players complain that there is less RP on Laanx.

People aren't going to take up RP if 1) they're put off by mean comments, or 2) they meet enough people with ill experience with these RP 'nazis' to persuade them that crowd isn't worth the trouble.

Why is there apparently less RP on Laanx today? Because the last generation of RPers were far more helpful to newbs, and taught them how to RP rather than expecting them to already know. It's alright to be grumpy if it's an EXPERIENCED player doing unbracketed in Main, but too often they're not experienced, or simply not experienced at RP but been in PS long enough to get that Plate armour that makes them look experienced.

We, as RPers, should spend as much time befriending these inexperienced, Main Tab lol'ers as we do RPing with our friends. Teach them the ropes, then they'll learn. Don't attack them or make them feel lower than you, sure it strokes your ego, but it is killing RP....

So yeah. Take up the responsibility of the generation before you, who have now left, and be friendly, helpful, -good- players and PlaneShift testers.

bloodedIrishman

Re: Saddening Attitudes.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:08:55 am »
I agree there used to be a more easygoing optimistic tone.

However,

There are less people who don't help new players than there are those who do. That is for certain. There might be cynical tones and pessimistic responses, but few veterans don't help newer players.

Timmothy Perriwinkle

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • I see u lookin' at mah Periwinklez.
    • View Profile
    • The Depot that's also a Warehouse
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:57:19 am »
I blatantly disagree, there was always the stonefaced "you're a noob, get the hell out" tone. When I was a newbie, I was afraid to go to the Tavern, or even Hydlaa for that very reason. Then I upped my game, until I was ready and achieved great success.

[12:05am] XilliX: I <3 you that much

Dralion1221

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:02:53 pm »
When I was a newb.....oh dear...not long ago if you must know.

No one actually taught me how to RP. I learned by listening in on conversations, reading custom bios, and sometimes if I was by myself I would try doing other shortcuts. /wave /bow etc.

People never talked to me on my first char :P so I deleted it and created more complex characters with RPing potential. 3 were very successful and my RPing was more interesting.

So you see, I have a hard time trying to teach newbies cause no one taught me. I taught myself and I guess I expect newbies to do it too.

Sorry if I am harsh to newbs out there...

Lhaa

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:42:33 pm »
From Forum Rules of Conduct:
Re-post the same topic or material of a thread that has been closed by a moderator, or continue the closed discussion through a new thread.

This thread seems to continue from this other which was locked.

But while this thread is still open let me take the liberty to reply to personal bashings once again.
Okay Akkaido, let me see...

• Saddening is once again you accuse people without knowing how do they behave IG simply because you're on at different timezones than most you talk about. Stick to what you know.
  • Saddening is you throw empty arguments over and over and mean to disguise them behind good intentions. Some others prefer to call things by their real name.
  • Saddening is you scold people for telling others in main that OOC isn't allowed without knowing if any tells are going on. It makes sense to think people who don't want main polluted would use tells to explain things further.
  • Saddening is you talk about helping the community when I haven't seen yet how did you do that. When is your market event going to happen?
  • Saddening is chances are some newer players consider you a good RPer only due to your posts affirming such. No wonder RP quality and quantity on Laanx is low nowadays if this is what they mime.
  • Saddening is you keep using the word nazi to tag players when you boy have obviously no idea of its meaning. Even more sad is some team members use it too thus push you to as well.
  • Saddening is you say RPers don't help new players when most of them do that gladly. What some don't do is accept that players that were around for months/years still don't have a clue, you included.
  • Saddening is you call people RPers when everybody in a RP game should be one. Something is really wrong when we are eating soup with a fork.
  • Saddening is I have to use the word "RP" so many times in a post when only "playing" should be enough for everybody to assume that role-playing is implied. That awful it is.
  • Saddening is you tell us the latest generation was better than the current when you weren't here to tell (that, or you have a pretty narrow concept of "generation" in which I am about 3 generations older). Try again in a year or two.
  • Saddening is some attitudes grew sour over time because of posts and people like these. Maybe those people with attitudes don't see the point in trying to change the same situation once again because they can let new messiahs like yourself go on so that you can brag about it.
  • Saddening is I have to waste my time replying to your hogwash instead of doing something productive. In the end I don't expect you to read or understand a single of my words.
  • Finally, saddening is you have nothing better to do than to open threads to quote me, second time now no matter you used the name or not. We will see how long my post stays up this time.

But you don't have to worry about me, I don't play as much nowadays so I don't get much of a chance to make things sad where it matters: in-game. And certainly it's people like you who took the fun out of the game for me. Pick up a bottle of champagne and celebrate. ;)

...then ponder again if anything you did yet helped the community or harmed it...

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:06:47 pm »
lol, burn.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Lhaa

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 04:09:44 pm »
You didn't say the same the last time we spoke in guildchat. ;)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »
Did I not? I make a point of noting burns. Apologies are due (before you write an essay on why(lol)).
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Lhaa

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 04:26:18 pm »
Thanks but too bad, I could definitely have amused you with it.

Happy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »

But you don't have to worry about me, I don't play as much nowadays so I don't get much of a chance to make things sad where it matters: in-game. And certainly it's people like you who took the fun out of the game for me. Pick up a bottle of champagne and celebrate. ;)

Why would one player make you stop playing I wonder?

Timmothy Perriwinkle

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • I see u lookin' at mah Periwinklez.
    • View Profile
    • The Depot that's also a Warehouse
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 04:35:42 pm »
Since this'll be locked anyway:

You're all stupid and smell funny.

[12:05am] XilliX: I <3 you that much

Aiwendil

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 04:42:37 pm »
You mean it get locked after Lhaa posted and not for Akkaido taking up an already locked topic about being nice to new players?
Yes...I guess so too.

Oh..but maybe more than half a day is not long enough for moderators to lock a thread that is created to bash others and pickup an already locked topic....Let's see how long they will take to lock the thread after these posts.

Edit: typo

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 04:55:25 pm »
The longer I follow these forums, the more shrinks my desire to return to the game once I have time again...

However, I must return... so many things undone, plans uncompleted...

Lhaa

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 04:58:15 pm »
Why would one player make you stop playing I wonder?

I could possibly reply to this but it would be far too offensive even for one of my posts, so let's not spoil Akkaido's fun.
Besides I can't link you to threads that are not available to most users anymore.

But maybe derula just replied to this better than I could, even if he probably disagrees with me in the details. ;)

Edit: fixed Derula's gender.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:25:56 pm by Lhaa »

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 05:19:18 pm »
But maybe derula just replied to this better than I could, even if she probably disagrees with me in the details. ;)

(It's "he", by the way.)