Author Topic: Launcher just restarts after clicking play  (Read 1540 times)

Rechs

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Launcher just restarts after clicking play
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:23:03 pm »
Hi,

My planeshift launcher is all of a sudden just restarting when I click play. When I click play, the game window appears with a black screen for a few moments, then it exits and the launcher starts again.
Yes I have repaired.

Thanks
Rechs

Shatterkiss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Launcher just restarts after clicking play
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:16:28 am »
This is at best a short term solution, but have you tried starting the game with psclient.exe instead of pslaunch.exe?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 04:46:25 am »
If on Windows, try to check the "errorlog.txt" for traces of serious issues (more than just a few missing graphics).

Also, try to run (from a command line prompt) "psclient -console" and look for errors (parameter possibly only required on Windows).

"Live help" might be available in IRC channel #planeshift-build on the FreeNode network, more or less probably during specific daytimes...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rechs

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:46:39 pm »
Shatter that does not work, the client starts with a black screen then closes.

LigH this is what the log says:
Code: [Select]
Sat Sep 04 15:44:54 2010, <..\..\src\common\util\psxmlparser.cpp:282 ParseFile SEVERE>
Sat Sep 04 15:44:54 2010, Could not find file: /paws/temp_skin/skin.xml
Sat Sep 04 15:44:54 2010, <..\..\src\common\paws\pawsmanager.cpp:380 PawsManager::LoadSkinDefinition SEVERE>
Sat Sep 04 15:44:54 2010, Could not read skin.xml on /this/art/skins/.zip!
Sat Sep 04 15:44:54 2010, <..\..\src\common\paws\pawsmanager.cpp:153 PawsManager::PawsManager SEVERE>
Sat Sep 04 15:44:54 2010, Failed to load skin /this/art/skins/.zip!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, <..\..\src\common\paws\pawsimagedrawable.cpp:66 pawsImageDrawable::PreparePixmap SEVERE>
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Could not open image: >/paws/base/maps/leather/top_left_1.png<
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, <..\..\src\common\paws\pawsimagedrawable.cpp:66 pawsImageDrawable::PreparePixmap SEVERE>
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Could not open image: >/paws/base/maps/leather/top_right_1.png<
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Could not open image: >/paws/base/maps/leather/bottom_left_1.png<
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Could not open image: >/paws/base/maps/leather/bottom_right_1.png<
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Could not open image: >/paws/base/maps/leather/left_1.png<
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Could not open image: >/paws/base/maps/leather/right_1.png<
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Could not open image: >/paws/base/maps/leather/top_1.png<
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Could not open image: >/paws/base/maps/leather/bottom_1.png<
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, <..\..\src\common\sound\system.cpp:36 SoundSystem::Initialize SEVERE>
Sat Sep 04 15:44:55 2010, Failed to locate Sound renderer!

I still have this problem. And I would rather not change my command line in regedit so are there any solutions?

Thanks
Rechs

firejerm

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:43:04 am »
just a thought...have you tried updating your sound card's drivers and video drivers? then uninstall ps and reinstall? also what windows are you running? If Vista, try to right click and run as admin. same with win 7.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:07:58 am »
I don't understand what you mean with "change your command line with regedit". I never mentioned to change anything in the registry. You should only open a "DOS window" (Start - Run - "cmd.exe") and start PlaneShift from there, with a command line parameter.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Rechs

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:59:26 pm »
just a thought...have you tried updating your sound card's drivers and video drivers? then uninstall ps and reinstall? also what windows are you running? If Vista, try to right click and run as admin. same with win 7.

I tried updating my sound driver and apparently I have the most recent. I updated my video driver a few weeks ago and there have been no updates since. I reinstalled with Add/Remove Programs, moved the Planeshift folder from Program Files, and reinstalled the 32bit client version, installed, and I have the same problem. I run XP, and I am the admin.

LigH - sorry, I don't know command prompts very well. I thought I had to change the command line to get to psclient and I don't know how to do it without going into regedit.

Any other ideas?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 03:29:29 pm »
Find the "psclient.exe" in your Windows Explorer where you installed it.

Right-click on it, make a link/shortcut (whatever it is called in your language).

Edit the properties of the "Shortcut to psclient.exe", change its link target so that you append the parameter " -console".

Call that shortcut. It should start a console window in the background before starting the application.

Try to ask "your local nerd" for support. If you don't have one available, one might be able to help you via TeamViewer. But only if you are really certain you can trust him. Remote-controlling your PC is risky.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:33:42 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Rechs

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 03:56:42 pm »
That didn't work LigH, I made the shortcut of psclient.exe, added "-console" to the target line, started it, and the Planeshift window came up as a black screen, then closed.

Edit: What if I deleted all files with "planeshift" or "ps" in them, thus removing everything from my system, and reinstalling? Will I lose the shader files?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:39:41 pm by Rechs »

Ulfer

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sovereign, The Bloodstone Brethren
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 05:08:25 pm »
I have exactly the same problem... g'ah, nothing is ever simple.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 06:43:11 pm »
that's computers for ya

and no one in this thread has yet to tell us their system spesifications like processor and speed, amount of ram, graphics card and driver version, these things are very importent to know especially when gaming on a computer.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:48:04 pm by Elvicat »

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 08:23:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

It's to do with the Sound Renderer. I had this problem at first too. If you are on Windows, find and download OpenAL (free sound library) and in PSLaunch select OpenAL.

Enjoy the game, I did for quite some time.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Rechs

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 10:40:18 pm »
I get the following error from winrar when I try to unpack this file:

!   C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Desktop\oalinst.zip: CRC failed in oalinst.exe. The file is corrupt

Uhh Any ideas?
My specs are:

WinXP Media Center
~2.2ghz
amd athlon 64 3500+
geforce 6150 le
1.2g ram
(it should work fine)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:42:55 pm by Rechs »

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 08:02:59 am »
have you tried to download again the file? Sometimes happens with compressed files... I've done it just now and the zip file works fine.
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx