Author Topic: haters gonna hate  (Read 4103 times)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: haters gonna hate
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:00 am »
Sorry. :thumbdown: This generalisation makes me feel sad for roleplaying, because I am put into one pot with the so-blamed "elite / hardcore / nazi" roleplayers. Be careful with your statements. (Not verden specifically, just in general.)

Quite right. There have been all manner of roleplayers and there always will be. I would even count in with you on that one. I guess my frustration was leaking out. Have you ever noticed how petulant the people that "leave" the game get about the game? In five years, I have seen it happen countless times. The player (who could have been a EHN roleplayer or a "powerleveler") goes through a boom-and-bust cycle that winds up with them returning to the forum and bashing the game again and again. The game is worse than Satan, everything is the fault of the (devs/RPers/PLers), and the game is just terrible, horrible, awful.

This is actually a very nice game for what it is. If you have no expectations when you come to PS, you will probably be very happy with the game. If you have high expectations or participate in these sorts of games for the purposes of inflating one's ego... then one will bust and leave, usually followed by a stream of petulant posts. People need to grow up. Its a game. Either play it or don't.

I don't hate roleplay. I hate the fact that there is no system for managing it in game, and it is a free-for-all situation where people use the concept of "roleplaying" as an excuse for acting hateful to one another in game. When you get down to a strict, game mechanics definition, PS is not a roleplaying game. These endless arguments about roleplaying, the way people use it as an excuse for trivial nonsense (this robbery that is being discussed), using the concept to hate on one another in game... these have all worn me down.

I started in 2005. There were the Rangers of Yliakum, the Enlightened, RHoP, Outlaws, SCoY, and a host of smaller and changing guilds, and people fought, and roleplay was often out of setting, and sometimes it was kind of stupid the RPs they did... but they stayed in game and kept it going. I remember the Trial of Daehaz for crying out loud, I was there in the Iron Temple. I miss Einnol and Indygo, Zhai, Vanae and a bunch of other people who could pull it off without hating on anyone, without banging anyone on the head, who stopped playing without getting all petulant and boringly hateful about it.

But the fact is that people leave games like this. They can't stay. Their life pulls them back or they get bored. And going on and on about the game/developers/powerlevelers/roleplayers/Talad doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. People have to be respectful of one another and quit dividing everything into black and white camps of I-am-this-I-am-not-that-and-you-(insert term)-are-ruining-the-game-get-off-this-server.

The only way to continue roleplay in PS is to get in game and do it... like Roled. He is there in game much more often than on the forums talking about roleplay, and when he does he does so in character, always. He manages to do it without hating on anyone, without being creepy or weird, and obviously has some class.

I'm sorry PheonixRizin if I made you sad. I am sad when I read all of this. I know I appear as a troll sometimes. But I love this project, and I have met many worthwhile people over the years. Many of whom have left, and a number of them I still talk to. There is no place like PlaneShift, and I like it the way it is. But the community needs help. The game is only going to get better, albeit slowly, and there is nothing at any time that stops one from going in game and seeking RP with people. But if your standards are going to be sooo high, or conversely, if you want to treat roleplayers like idiots... then how can you ever have fun here?

Vakacheck, your actions were inappropriate for RP in PlaneShift. It is detailed in a number of places including the covenant, which I think appears in game now. Quit arguing about it. Everyone knows it was an OOC abuse of mechanics and continuing to try and justify it is meaningless.

troyyer

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 09:42:28 am »
I know I appear as a troll sometimes.
I agree.

But i agree even more with your complete post Verden. Well said.

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 11:30:18 am »
I'm not writing here to spread grief, ridicule or yell at anybody. I just want to share some thoughts I collected while reading this.

@ Sarva you are saying it is my job to RP it... well I did by robbing the house, it isn't up to me to place books up saying there has been robberies, a robber would much rather not get found out... wouldn't he?
If the case here was a RL robbery, you are right. The robbers don't want to be found. The problem here though is that for it to be good RP, and not seen as an act of OOC griefing, you need to let the people have a fighting chance to get their stuff back. And to do so, they need some kind of hint as to who did this. The reason, as I see it, to why the GMs deemed this as griefing is this.
Quote from: GAME POLICY 06 - Harassment
Intention to Cause Grief:

The term “Intention to Cause Grief” refers to doing something with the objective of ruining the gaming experience of a player or a group of players.
You chose to not contact the people that would be involved in this RP, to make sure that they understood that this was not meant as griefing. By doing so, you have, perhaps somewhat unwillingly, brought this down on yourself.

Quote from: Akkaido Kivikar
... Shows how much YOU know about it, I was watching his screen as he robbed DoX. ...
... The GMs involved weren't even open to the idea that he had taken his roleplay a bit out of hand, it was decided from the start, without any discussion with him, that he was suddenly an OOC griefer and must be purged from the community. For a roleplay. Sure, not the neatest and most well-conceptualised and planned roleplay, but it was an IC action nonetheless ...
This could have been a time to offer some constructive critisism. I've known both of you since you started playing, and I know you are capable of good RP.

... People in PlaneShift don't role-play ...
I agree that some don't. Giving the whole community a stamp of disapproval at once will not help your ideas get through.

Or respond to a GM and get warned for it...doesn't really matter.

Quote from: GAME POLICY 01 - IC and OOC
OOC text is to be designated with (  ), [   ] or {   } as regular text comes from the mouth of your character ...
It is fine to make a short OOC comment in public in the way explained above, however if a longer OOC discussion is not avoidable either use /tell or else /group.
Nuff said, don't make it bigger than it is. (If this goes against GAME POLICY 09 I am sorry for the intrution.)

Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

PhoenixRizin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • The end is important in all things
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 11:34:17 am »
I'm sorry PheonixRizin if I made you sad. I am sad when I read all of this. I know I appear as a troll sometimes. But I love this project, and I have met many worthwhile people over the years. Many of whom have left, and a number of them I still talk to. There is no place like PlaneShift, and I like it the way it is. But the community needs help. The game is only going to get better, albeit slowly, and there is nothing at any time that stops one from going in game and seeking RP with people. But if your standards are going to be sooo high, or conversely, if you want to treat roleplayers like idiots... then how can you ever have fun here?

On the contrary, that is my point exactly. My discussion was mainly about labels, and the reason for all this mess is the way people separate themselves into groups. Most of my fun stopped when this "grouping" became as apparent in game as it did out of it. If you still have fun in PS, then great. It's a game, you are supposed to enjoy it. However, my point, which may be lost again, is that all sides kinda hops into the "I'm right, you're wrong" category, though it's usually those labeled as "RP Nazi" who get the blame. Those who know/knew me IG know that I Rped with pretty much anyone, no matter what their level or style. Standards will always vary, but as soon as people get thrown into groups (RPer, PLer), then thats when the divide becomes strongest. I reposted my earlier quote (I hope you read the post in full) because despite what I said, there was a conscious decision to further the divide. So if anything, seeing THAT is what makes me sad, not someone who actually wants the divide to disappear.
"Just give me a wench an' a brew!" -The Remyl

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 11:51:43 am »
Thank you, Troyyer and PheonixRizin. The main thing to remember in PS, or anywhere else, is be excellent to one another, whenever it is possible. The fact that we are all semi-obsessed with this odd little project generally indicates that we all have more in common, than we have differences.

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 04:27:08 pm »
Frankly, we need to be less judgemental about people ingame.  I'm willing to accept people who may not be good at RP yet, but are WILLING TO LEARN.  However, we get the "guildification" effect (ESPECIALLY with OOC, mass-recruiting guilds (you know who you are) that basically starve RP guilds (many of which have very valid RP reasons to be slower/pickier about recruiting than the OOC mass-recruiters) of people while (in some cases at least) sending the newbies they recruit down the garden path wrt RP.  What also hurts is the lack of players.  0.5 killed us in this regard; mainly due to the jump in hardware requirements.  This makes spontaneous RP (I try to pick stuff up at times) MUCH harder to find...also, we have many characters who seem to have no time for conversation, which is a killer for spontaneous RP.  (They often run by /greet's or "Hello there"s without even as much as acknowledging the greeter's presence, ne pausing for a bit of small talk.)  Finally, why does nobody seem to want to hang out in the taverns these days?  Is everybody really too busy hunting/crafting/questing?

troyyer

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 04:43:50 pm »
If you want to stop the hate, start with yourself and stop the hate inside you.

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 05:55:50 pm »
I love this community.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »

OOC text is to be designated with (  ), [   ] or {   } as regular text comes from the mouth of your character ...
It is fine to make a short OOC comment in public in the way explained above, however if a longer OOC discussion is not avoidable either use /tell or else /group.
Nuff said, don't make it bigger than it is. (If this goes against GAME POLICY 09 I am sorry for the intrution.)

If you'd read the link you'd see that in fact the player in question was warned by the GM involved for no more than one line of [OOC], and to add to that, it was a typo correction. Then given a kick from the server when they said (sorry, I'm abridging the whole convo into one line) "I haven't done anything wrong, get out of my face and stop disturbing my gameplay." So Koios I'd say it's a fairly big issue for a GM to be acting in this way. It reminds me of bullying, corrupt police officers.

Here's the main issue for me. What Vakachehk did was not handled correctly. He proved it wasn't his INTENT to grief, therefore his actions were not griefing. He didn't intend to ruin other's gameplay experience. His role-play was simply not great or flawless. Theredore his actions were more of a misdemeanor, not a great OOC crime as the GM team would like you to believe.They're too busy trying to looks strong and united than to admit a ban was too stronger action on someone who was merely naive. At least one dev has said "They left their GH open, tough luck.", some others have suggested decent, workable solutions, logical solutions. But those who have the control have stuck to the guns. In fact, I know the one in charge who added more insult to the injury by saying the ban would be extended if his wishes weren't met.... he has friends in the guild that left their house open for a whole week. Favoritism?

As the dev offering logical solutions said, it'd be better for the ban to be lifted, apologies made, the items returned and the RP in question halted.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 08:37:19 pm »
hi hi... So funny to see Akkaido not kissing up for once... :o A very odd change. Anywho... After Donari's run I can see why the GMs might be a little bit on the trigger happy side. Donari always had an excuse that technically was an RP way of explaning his actions, but the fact that he was always using crooked means hidden under an RP venier is what ultimately got the hammer brought down. They are probably tired of hearing "I was RPing" as an excuse for doing stuff common sense should tell you to think twice about (and that ultimately means more work for them later).

You should always be considerate of the other people involved in an RP. The problem sounds like it's a matter of understanding that this kind of robbery is a form of godmodding. The people involved might not get a chance to recover their items, but taking what was probably an OOC mistake(leaving the door unlocked) as a chance to RP something that affects them and not giving them prior warning is just wrong.

I know ettiquette has never been your strong suit Xoel but I think you can still graps parts of this concept. Imagine, if you will, a GM coming by and "stealing" a large portion of your stats and skills under the guise that they are RPing a fickle spirit. This spirit decided that it would take advantage of the fact that you were just standing there (and the fact that you could do nothing about it :whistling: ) and it complete shuts you out while the "stealing" is happening. You know you'd be ticked, and the fact that it was "RPed" would not make much difference to you. Even the chance to recover the lost stats over time (not by training) would probably not be much comfort. It's the same principle... regardless of the apparent opportunity, you should still be considerate.

That being said, there are plenty of better things Vakachekh can do with the time. They've probably done him a favor.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »
You should always be considerate of the other people involved in an RP. The problem sounds like it's a matter of understanding that this kind of robbery is a form of godmodding. The people involved might not get a chance to recover their items, but taking what was probably an OOC mistake(leaving the door unlocked) as a chance to RP something that affects them and not giving them prior warning is just wrong.

Yes. Nicely said, dear.

Here's the main issue for me. What Vakachehk did was not handled correctly. He proved it wasn't his INTENT to grief, therefore his actions were not griefing. He didn't intend to ruin other's gameplay experience. His role-play was simply not great or flawless.

If there was a ban, it was issued based on actions taken, not on intentions. Anybody who doesn't understand this concept clearly and plainly is in great danger of encountering IRL problems with law enforcement persons. GMs cannot make judgements in some text interface over what a persons intentions were, it would be improper to base a decision on speculation. The only thing the GMs can verify is if certain actions were taken by the character, any bans would be issued on that basis.

Finally, why does nobody seem to want to hang out in the taverns these days?  Is everybody really too busy hunting/crafting/questing?

I remember bartending quite a few times. Back in the day, characters like Ralas and Archon would come over and hang out. It would just be a good time. Nothing too intensive. I remember playing dice with Indygo and listening to Einnol tell a tale in front of the great fireplace in the Kada-El. I remember when it started raining one of the first times and it seemed like a whole bunch of people showed up in the tavern to get out of the rain. Sometimes the RPs would be exclusive, and the attitudes of what I called the power-RPers would take over, but there were a lot of settings-neutral RPs that I remember. Just good times.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:59:11 pm by verden »

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 09:57:59 pm »
@ Illysia: as long as I got my stats back eventually I'd be happy.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 10:06:01 pm »
Then be happy, Vackchekh will get his access back eventually. ;)

I remember bartending quite a few times. Back in the day, characters like Ralas and Archon would come over and hang out. It would just be a good time. Nothing too intensive. I remember playing dice with Indygo and listening to Einnol tell a tale in front of the great fireplace in the Kada-El. I remember when it started raining one of the first times and it seemed like a whole bunch of people showed up in the tavern to get out of the rain. Sometimes the RPs would be exclusive, and the attitudes of what I called the power-RPers would take over, but there were a lot of settings-neutral RPs that I remember. Just good times.

Bartending, when I last did it, was drudgery often times. It was nice when other characters interacted with Telnavi and gave two tria that she was a character in her own right and not a lifeless NPC but it seemed to me that many players were too caught up in the latest "incident" in their own RPs to interact with the world around them. At least as far as it didn't concern their RP.

It was fun with Indy but to me that was character development time, not just settings neutral. RPs now seems less about watching your character grow and interact and more about making sure they have a first hand account of the latest uproar in the city. It's not that there is anything wrong with a little commotion now and again but I don't think people think about the larger story any more. (and the larger story includes more than the happenings in Hydlaa I might add)

I blame the small horizons of people’s characters for the rash of only murder and sex filled RPs. It’s not that no one ever gets murdered, but there is no way the guards would sit idly while the city the Octarch lives in goes seriously to pot. It would have taken more than executions to restore order after some of the stuff that happened. Can you say martial law?

It might be cool to do your own murder plot but each plot is only one facet in the whole so people should take the other concurrent plots into account when planning. And consider the settings of the area you are in. Nudge nudge wink wink… Oja is the kind of city that you could have done that in without being heavily out of settings.

Darn… there you guys go bringing up feelings of caring and concern for RP in PS again… Got me writing again. Welps… that just means I need to go find something better to do… er… beside homework maybe.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:21:52 pm by Illysia »

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2010, 12:36:16 am »
I didn't see this thread before today, and as I see are most things already said. But I want to add and repeat a few things.
I made clear before, that I simply don't accept that some players willingly hurt others to have fun, and this is what happened here. Xoel made already clear somewhere else that he doesn't agree with my attitude, that I want all players to enjoy the game, and not just some on costs of others. So no need to repeat that here.
The main problem is, that one player had fun by hurting other players. To make it clear: Not the chars, the players.
The other problem is, that there was no rp involved in the matter that lead to the ban. To make it clear beforehand: If you roleplay just with yourself, or with people not involved in the matter in question, it also doesn't count for that matter.

Let me just make a quick and dirty summarization (For the flamers: please note that it's not intended to be comprehensive) how this robbery was done or could have been done:
1) You, as player, see a open guild house. You could do a few things: You can inform the guild about it, because you know some would (ab)use it. You can decide to rob them.
2) You decided to rob them, so you can again decide between a few things: You tell them beforehand and agree on an interesting rp. Or you can just do that without agreement and knowing it'll cause grief on the players behind the chars.
3) So, you rob the house without agreement. You can rob a few valuable items, or, you can decide to (almost) completely clean the house out.
4) Ok, you decided to rob the house without agreement, thus cause some grief and also to clean it out. You can now decide to inform the players after this was done to force this action as rp on them. They'll probably be angry with you, but this can be solved with a talk, maybe with the help of a gm to moderate before it gets bad. Or, you can decide to keep the items and not tell them. Not in day, not in weeks, never.
5) You decided to
   - just keep the items(also items of just personal value)
   - Not tell the players in any way so they have a clue what actually happened (it's not their task to be god and know everything)
   - Not leave any trace
   - Make no attemt to start a rp that involves the robbed people and leave them any chance.
6)You repeat that with more guild houses. You never do anything to start a roleplay that goes past the lonely, not agreed cleaning out of several houses.
And finally, you declare it as task of the victims to start a rp with you and declare everything as their guilt.

You didn't separate ic and ooc here and you show not the least will to even consider that something went wrong (not until that sentence in your last post).

Sorry but that to me is godmoding you CAN NOT I mean CAN NOT say that! Absolutely cannot. Why? Because you have no idea what my intentions were, I try my hardest to get along with the community, and yes there are my haters out there and they certainly are not OoL, DoX, WK or TO. I think you got the wrong 'fun' her, I wanted fun as an RP not as ohhhh I have heaps of rare weapons.

@ Ingles you see very professional here. You are a GM... start acting like one! Some hints use "yes" "No" not "Nope", "yeah" (unless in a unprofessional conversation). No matter who you think is in the wrong you still need to show some f***ing respect to them!
No it wasn't funny. I was afk, if I didn't want to respond to you then why would I bother going on IRC when I got back...? Did you bother asking Dalkki? who I told that was online in The Dark Empire that I told her I was afk. But yes sorry next time I go away for dinner I'll try and remember to do /away.
When I came onto IRC the lack of communication brought me to HaniX... another "I don't listen because I don't give a crap" person to talk too... I simple asked you to explain, and first words were "lets stay calm here" Ohh calm?? right, you were the first to get smart anyways.

@everyone else
"My RP" MINE! Are you serious. Well my RP was within settings and are better than a lot of other crap roleplay on Zeroping. The only reason why you are saying "my RP" is bad is really because I had noone to RP with, because the lack of RP coming from the other guilds. I mean come on, its not that hard to RP your house being robbed... is it? Wait it is when they are not meant for an RP server... dohh how stupid of me.
Well another thing I was shocked with, is also by the GMs. When these flaming players came onto your GM channel, why didn't you bother to direct them to RP it? Why didn't you discuss with me and them if we were willing to RP it? Do you ever think about RP?

@Moderator Haters gonna hate? disappointing to me, I really hate the fact that RPers are having to complain about the lack of kicking for OOCness or lack of good RPs. So much that when a bunch of OOC PLers named Wayward Kingdom threaten to leave if there robbed stuff (Robbed twice) aren't returned. But yet when RPers get snotty you just look the other way instead of trying to fix the issue.  :thumbdown:
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2010, 12:55:46 am »
One of the things I learned when I first started playing this game is that it is bad form to force your RP onto others. You should invite others into your RP if you have something you want to do that will have major affect on another player. I would say stealing items of great value ( be they of real value or just personal value) is something that has a major affect on lots of players.  In this case it seems this so called RP was forced on a lot of people with no invitation

having an unlocked door seems like an RP invite to me. it's not like they're forcing anything upon you that breaks the game rules. for example, a rape roleplay. that's just screwed up and should be /reported. a robbery doesn't break any rules because it's allowed in the game mechanics and, as this is a game, no players are actually being robbed. the GMs should never have stepped in.

imho, anyone who /reports a robbery like this needs to get out of their mother's basement and realize pixels don't actually matter.

It is easy to make up a story on what your intentions were after a ban is imposed. Funny that you stayed silent when in game you were ported to me (Would like to point out I was visible so no mistaking the fact I was a GM.) and I spoke to you, made my intentions clear and you never responded.

Plenty of time was given for you to respond, but as you did not, you left me no option but to ban you.

So a warning to you all; respond when a GM talks to you, and especially if he/she is visible.

so you... banned him? what the hell is wrong with you? he could've been taking a dump!  ???

also, i don't think vakachehk executed this "robbery" with the intention of causing grief. and i don't think he would have understood the potential grief caused by his actions. he should not have been punished. he's a kid, reckless, but still learning. so i think the ban should be lifted.

in this case a player was being abused by a GM. the devs apparently had no problem with what the GM was doing and may have supported him.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:37:00 am by Sarras Volcae »