Author Topic: haters gonna hate  (Read 4108 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: haters gonna hate
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2010, 01:27:25 am »
One of the things I learned when I first started playing this game is that it is bad form to force your RP onto others. You should invite others into your RP if you have something you want to do that will have major affect on another player. I would say stealing items of great value ( be they of real value or just personal value) is something that has a major affect on lots of players.  In this case it seems this so called RP was forced on a lot of people with no invitation

having an unlocked door seems like an RP invite to me. it's not like they're forcing anything upon you that breaks the game rules. for example, a rape roleplay. that's just screwed up and should be /reported. a robbery doesn't break any rules because it's allowed in the game mechanics and, as this is a game, no players are actually being robbed. the GMs should never have stepped in.

imho, anyone who /reports a robbery like this needs to get out of their mother's basement and realize pixels don't actually matter.

Nice comment there Sarras, first time I have fully agreed with you :)
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2010, 05:00:18 am »
It is easy to make up a story on what your intentions were after a ban is imposed. Funny that you stayed silent when in game you were ported to me (Would like to point out I was visible so no mistaking the fact I was a GM.) and I spoke to you, made my intentions clear and you never responded.

Plenty of time was given for you to respond, but as you did not, you left me no option but to ban you.

So a warning to you all; respond when a GM talks to you, and especially if he/she is visible.

It's called "being afk". Don't be such a tool. Not all players are at their keyboards the entire time they are logged in, and most players who aren't always at their keyboards haven't figured out the /away message thing, I certainly never did.

@Durgrem: It's an RP server, actions should immediately be considered IC. Oh, no wait, it isn't a role-play server anymore... they should probably write so to clarify.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2010, 05:05:22 am »
LOL! This is the most I have heard about rules with guild houses...
Proclamation from the ruling body of the Octarch.
Any guildhouse problems are to be reported to a guard.
This includes theft of property from within said premises.
Loss of a Key or Master key resulting in the state having to recover or replacing said key.
The state will replace a lock, on receiving 1 million tria from the guild leader, If this happens again the price will be doubled.
Finally for any of the above.
A third and final time will result in the guild being put on notice that if it happens again the said property of the guild will be repossessed by the state.

Sounds like Wayward Kingdom will loose their house the next time they get robbed  ;)

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2010, 05:34:32 am »
I see that I should have worded myself a bit differently, or perhaps written a bit more about what I replied to the link Aiwendil posted. I just didn't want the post to be too long.
Again, stepping lightly here so not to go against gaming policy.

I agree that the person was wrongfully dealt with, hence my quote of the gaming policy. I was just trying to say that the way the link was presented, I saw it as an attempt to discredit all GMs.
Everyone can have a bad day once in a while. And as we all know, the best solution wasn't to then respond in ways that could potentially be seen as snarly.

Now, this quote is not from a sticky thread, but it is still a valid thread imo.
Etiquette

Alright this is when common sense comes into play. Would you rob a person in the middle of a plaza in real life? Please use some common sense especially when starting tavern fights in front of the guards outside. And also be fair and roll its not that hard agree on a number with your target and ask permission we dont need another guild house theft incident.

Example: At least give it a try like this

Newbie: [Hey can I try and pickpocket you?]

Player : [Hehe sure!]

Newbie: [So what number we roll to 1-49 YAY L007 for me nub! and 50-99 OMG I LOST HAX!?]

Player: [Uhh... Sure]

REMEMBER! To get you must give! You cant play god only the Devs and GMs can! Therefore your a mere mortal in the world of Yliakum. So no you cant play ironman or Legolass with his mysterious quiver of endless arrows. When you play god the RP fight lasts for hours believe me I spent about 4 hours in a fight until I finally gave up because it was 3 in the morning! It is much more interesting when both players take a hit or two.

And, yes. In real life you don't warn people that you are breaking into their home. But in real life if you are going to break into someone's home, you intend to do so for your own personal benefit and their despair. If you have to tweak the argument to make it fit your statement, then you need to tweak the RP to fit the happiness of everyone involved.
And I'm not saying that one side is completely right in this matter. It could have been dealt with in more satisfying ways for everyone.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:36:53 am by Koios »
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2010, 06:21:40 am »
Fair enough Koios.
I honestly didn't want the victims to find out OOCly as I would know they would target me. By watching me and try catch me when I am doing someone else's house instead of making it a fun game and having the mystery of who it is.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2010, 02:04:25 pm »
PlaneShift was mentioned as "roleplaying supporting" or "roleplaying related" game.

Never as a "roleplaying enforcing" one.

Laanx => SkyLab => ZeroPing is the server where roleplaying is "allowed and preferred", not "the only exclusively correct form of enjoying the game".
__

Sounds like Wayward Kingdom will loose their house the next time they get robbed  ;)

Gloating and sneering. Are you proud of it? Are your parents proud of you?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2010, 03:05:16 pm »
Those pixels don't actually matter... until they are your pixels. Claiming that an unlocked door is an "RP" invitation is also a bit much. Did one of the characters actually roleplay in front of you that they left the guildhouse door open? That would be an RP invitation. Both robbing and raping are violations of the rights of others, and the first crime often preceeds the second IRL. Once again, I hope nobody attempts to use some of the logic prevalent in this thread to justify themselves to the IRL authorities at any time, because you are going to lose the whole thing in court, or to the officer who is reviewing the situation. GMs commenting on this situation in the thread are making the mistake of discussing the situation. Either let the ban stand or clear it, but don't discuss it, is my two cents.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2010, 04:26:47 pm »
I didn't notice before, but I seem to agree to almost all things you say lately, verden  :P I guess it started with the wipe discussion some time go *puts his signature under what verden says*
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Xoel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2010, 06:29:10 pm »
PlaneShift was mentioned as "roleplaying supporting" or "roleplaying related" game.

Never as a "roleplaying enforcing" one.

Laanx => SkyLab => ZeroPing is the server where roleplaying is "allowed and preferred", not "the only exclusively correct form of enjoying the game".
__

Gloating and sneering. Are you proud of it? Are your parents proud of you?

From http://www.planeshift.it/policies.html

" Roleplay Policy

In Character (IC) means to act, speak and behave like your character will do, not you as a player will do - also known as roleplay. An example of IC (In-Character) speech is: "Hello traveller, did you hear any news about Hydlaa these days?"

Out Of Character (OOC) is when you are speaking with a GM, or when you speak of any real life events/matters. An example can be: "GM, my client is acting strangely, is there a patch to fix it?"

Remember to act in-character as much as possible when talking to others! We are all working towards a Roleplay atmosphere in PlaneShift. OOC should be used only in /tell with a GM, in the help channel or in petitions. All other communications have to be IC. OOC text should be designated with brackets - [ ] - as regular text comes from the mouth of your character, who knows nothing about computers, video games, the internet, or Picasso. Read the Setting for official information about the world your character belongs to - and while your character can certainly come from another "plane" outside of it, don't do something outrageous like try to bring in "roleplay" guns. Keep with the medieval fantasy atmosphere as much as you can.

The game is about roleplay, so part of the rules are to encourage or "enforce" it as smoothly as possible. The freedom of everyone has to be respected as long as it doesn't come in the way of someone else's, with a priority on the RPG style. The name policy, the content of the dialogs and the online activities are concerned with this issue.

The language in-game is English. You may use other languages in private messages like /tell, or in guild chat. This allows all the players in the game to interact with each other regardless of where they are from - and prevents the separation of the community into groups based on nationality."

Sorry LigH you're wrong. But imo that page needs to be corrected.

And by the way, yes, his father was proud of him. He laughed when I told him his son was banned for robbing digital guildhouses. Not even kidding, first reaction was laughter. He then said "oh well, what'd you expect? Plenty more games like that around though isn't there?" (he assumed bans were permanent)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2010, 07:48:34 pm »
Well, all the web pages need updates, but it kinda depends on what is meant by enforcing in this this context. You can't force people to roleplay, it takes a bit of skill to do already, even in the simplest manner. But the guidelines on roleplay are enforced in public channels (ideally). There is a distinction there.

The freedom of everyone has to be respected as long as it doesn't come in the way of someone else's, with a priority on the RPG style.

Sen, I'm glad you said almost... that feeling will probably pass if you lay down for a bit. ;)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:52 pm »
@ LigH Yes I am proud of myself and yes my parents are proud of me.

When guildhouses are handed over to guilds/guild leaders they are told to keep their door closed and to only trust who they really trust to invite in. So honestly they broke a rule not me.

Also Ingles next time, don't go off saying I make up stuff AFTER I am banned, maybe you should ask politely before you banned me?

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2010, 12:48:21 am »
I agree that the person was wrongfully dealt with, hence my quote of the gaming policy. I was just trying to say that the way the link was presented, I saw it as an attempt to discredit all GMs.
Everyone can have a bad day once in a while. And as we all know, the best solution wasn't to then respond in ways that could potentially be seen as snarly.

would you make that excuse for a cop out of line? a bad day?  :thumbdown:

Those pixels don't actually matter... until they are your pixels.

are you serious? it's a game, man.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2010, 01:38:58 am »
Those pixels don't actually matter... until they are your pixels.

are you serious? it's a game, man.

Lol I think he is.
Pixels are just pixels, yipperdy doo! Yes if KIC had a Guild House and it got robbed yes I would be upset, but I would make sure I tell a GM about it and try RP it. As much as what I have read, robbing a guild house has no action other than IC action. Which there was no IC punishment, another question to GMs where has Vakachehk gone?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:57 am »
 ;D And this why I don't play this game anymore... Seems like there is some misapplication of the barrier between OOC and IC and the barrier between RP and RL...

"I was RPing." <-- not an acceptable excuse for being a jerk. Doesn't matter if the objects have value to you or not... they weren't yours to mess with in any way regardless... I thought they taught keep your hands to yourself in Kindergarten. ???

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2010, 02:21:44 am »
Role play in this game has always operated with OOC negotiation. That is the system. It has its benefits, it has its negatives, but we're used to it. A person who plays a high-risk character, both IC and OOC, should inform and ask their victim for permission to thieve or sever body parts which are gone permanently, as examples.

Vakachehk, it seems to me you are covering your ass. Seems like you you got greedy and wanted more after a lucky job.