Author Topic: the no weapons in the cities rule is a joke and should be removed  (Read 1906 times)

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Re: the no weapons in the cities rule is a joke and should be removed
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 09:20:06 pm »
Oh gawsh, THIS---^

It is futile to argue that the guards shouldn't tell you to sheathe your weapons in hydlaa, it would also be a good idea for them to do the following:

*Jefectra points to mikeloeven, "You sir, please use common sense."

-sig by sarras

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 01:39:10 am »
Just so everyone knows, this law is not -just- in Hydlaa. It states in the Octarchy Decree that no fighting or weapons are allowed in the city walls of any Octarchy city (all of Yliakum) It matters on Zeroping because you wouldn't do that in real life (walking around New York with two massive Claymores, and not get arrested. Would ya?) I have no problem about people fighting in cities on EZPCUSA.

I do have an idea of having an option (just for the baddies aswel) that your weapons automatically get sheathed once gone passed the guards. It would be an option in the 'Options' tab on the Tool Bar.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 02:13:19 am »
Ojaveda is not likely to be able to enforce this law due to being under quarrantine. Akkaio presumeably is cut off from most internal resources including government and guards(citizen patrols is not the same as guards) and lets not forget the rogue foothold in the warehouse district which implies that there is room for interpretation. Also, akkaio must be fairly rough anyway considering the broken doors smack dab in the middle and by settings a rowdy place without raising any special attention from the guards. This might explain the stick up Bhurral's.... anywho, the place should be in a state of semi chaos and thus leaves room for more law breaking... mind you, don't let Bhurral catch you jaywalking or she'll turn around and beat you with the aforementioned stick. ;)

In gug, the boundaries of the city aren't walled in thus when to sheath weapons is more open to debate.

So yes it technically applies everywhere but there are places where the rules are more... flexible, to give people options. ;)

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 04:51:46 am »
But Kore Dsar is now open, allowing a massive military effort to reduce weapons and rogues in cities.... oh, whoops, it's empty. Bummer.

Anyway Illysia, any smart player can tell you that the only NPCs that tell you to sheath your weapons are in Hydlaa. The rule therefore only applies in Hydlaa. It's more to do with Hydlaa being the capital city of Yliakum, I think.

But since I'm not even a prospect, you can't trust my word on it.... heck, I'm even on PlaneShift's "blacklist" now. Or should I say, Talad's "blacklist".

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 05:01:38 am »
Ojaveda is not likely to be able to enforce this law due to being under quarrantine. Akkaio presumeably is cut off from most internal resources including government and guards(citizen patrols is not the same as guards) and lets not forget the rogue foothold in the warehouse district which implies that there is room for interpretation. Also, akkaio must be fairly rough anyway considering the broken doors smack dab in the middle and by settings a rowdy place without raising any special attention from the guards. This might explain the stick up Bhurral's.... anywho, the place should be in a state of semi chaos and thus leaves room for more law breaking... mind you, don't let Bhurral catch you jaywalking or she'll turn around and beat you with the aforementioned stick. ;)

In gug, the boundaries of the city aren't walled in thus when to sheath weapons is more open to debate.

So yes it technically applies everywhere but there are places where the rules are more... flexible, to give people options. ;)

Well I know that. I was once told to sheath my weapons by Luu in Ojaveda and I was like LOL (OOC I was like lol of course).
I was more referring to Gugrontid :)

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 05:51:17 am »
... It states in the Octarchy Decree that no fighting or weapons are allowed in the city walls of any Octarchy city (all of Yliakum) ...
Partially true. It states "No duel is to occur in the towns of Yliakum except within an area designated for such combat. If no such area is dedicated in a given town or city, duelists shall be required to leave the town or city to fight in the wilderness."
The book does not say anything about weapons being unsheathed. As I've said before I think that it should, either as a small edit to Law VIII, or it could also be edited into Law XXV to make it a low law and not just a privilege of the people.
Something like "XXV. No aggressive spells shall be cast inside of the town unless used in the defense of the town. (edit) This also applies for aggressive behavior in the sense of unsheathing weapons and pointing them at people."
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 06:24:03 am »
Ahhh yes, I couldn't remember the wording right sorry. But yes I agree with you. No weapons should be sheathed in the cities or towns of Yliakum... Bu then how do I patrol  ???

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 06:35:59 am »
Yes, there are a few paradoxes that comes with this. Yours about patrolling is one, the other one is what happens if you meet a villain?
The villain is hungry for a battle, and since he doesn't follow the law anyway he will attack you inside the city gates.
Are you then permitted to try and rid the city of this villain right then and there, given that you are defending your own life? Or should you flee out of the gates and hope that the attacker follows you?
Of course, this could've been handled with NPCs being more enforcing, and also more mobile. So it might be fixed in the end. But right now it stays as a paradox.
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 06:41:21 am »
Well I would say if you get attacked in the middle of a plaza, would you run to the wilderness or country side? no, you would use self defence.

Well since guards are allowed weapons drawn then I am sure you can get a 'permit' to do so while patrolling and whatnot.

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 05:29:59 pm »
There are exceptions (like repairing and carrying heavy weight).  -- Hopefully all GMs know such reaons. ;)

well you will probibally be standing next to a forge near harnquists while doing the aformentioned activities so unless you are doing somthing stuipid like trying to forge a dagger in the tavern's fireplace it is pretty obvious

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 07:43:03 pm »
If you are inside Harn's shop then having a weapon out to repair it is OK. Having a sed weapon drawn to carry a heavy load is not an allowable exception to the weapons drawn rule.

No player has been banned for having weapons drawn. Normally the guards will give you two or three warnings to put your weapons away or else. If you ignore the third warning then sometimes the guards will freeze you and impress upon you again the need to put your weapons away. If you have a very bad attitude towards the guards at this point you might be transported to the jail where if the person is a noob the guards will talk to them about the laws of Hydlaa about weapons. If it is an experienced player then they might get a fine or maybe a day in jail.

Now if you don't RP being in jail then we will ban you for walking out of your cell or dying to escape via the DR but I haven't seen that happen yet. 

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 11:28:20 pm »
I sometimes do carry sed weapons to carry larger loads. What I do is state in my description that my longswords are not equipped. and remind players when they tell me to put them away.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 09:59:43 am »
Saying in your description that your sed swords are not equipped when they clearly are isn't going to work with a GM guard. As said before there is no exception for sed weapons to the no weapons drawn in the city rule.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 05:12:36 pm »
Saying in your description that your sed swords are not equipped when they clearly are isn't going to work with a GM guard. As said before there is no exception for sed weapons to the no weapons drawn in the city rule.

I have had this conversation with Perlan when he tried to get smart at me. He went to a GM and complained I was in the right. So it is another 'everyone has there own opinions'.

If you are wearing Heavy Armor and you say you're wearing a nice leather top, that's not allowed?

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 06:44:32 pm »
Wearing armor in the city isn't illegal. Having weapons drawn in the city is illegal. If you have weapons in your hands in the city it is illegal no matter what it says in your Desc. Having sed weapons n your hand and trying to say via your Desc that you don't have weapons in your hand would be OOC.