Author Topic: PlaneShift & public relations - an analysis  (Read 1837 times)

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneShift & public relations - an analysis
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 06:27:34 am »
Srsly, Rigwyn and Demagul? :D Our culture is threatened by immigrants? Hmmm.....sound familiar :D Perhaps we should not whine so much and instead try integration of newcomers into the existing culture (Just like in RL, lol). Back in the days, whenever I encountered a newbie, I took some time to explain things to him, what OOC/IC means etc. So is there a reason we can't just do that?

Also, I have to agree with Siteya. We are a true mmoRPg.

Roled, that sounds like a great idea. Social networking surely makes things a lot easier.

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 08:15:20 am »
Srsly, Rigwyn and Demagul? :D Our culture is threatened by immigrants? Hmmm.....sound familiar :D Perhaps we should not whine so much and instead try integration of newcomers into the existing culture (Just like in RL, lol). Back in the days, whenever I encountered a newbie, I took some time to explain things to him, what OOC/IC means etc. So is there a reason we can't just do that?

Also, I have to agree with Siteya. We are a true mmoRPg.

Roled, that sounds like a great idea. Social networking surely makes things a lot easier.

What? No, I never said that the culture was threatened by immigrants. I was just saying that we should mainly publicize in places that an RP crowd would see. If we get overwhelmed by non-RPers, it's always a possibility to un-merge the RP and non-RP servers. I just hope PS isn't publicized as a standard MMORPG, because people have certain expectations for an exact structure for how the game works. If we advertise saying "Hey look at this awesome MMORPG", this will probably happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A6Z5-deOuc (this video makes me so mad)

Believe me, I want people more players as much as anyone else. We'd probably have more success if we focus on advertising towards RP-loving crowd though, which would both give us more active players, and preserve PS culture.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:24:34 am by Demagul Riwe »

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 11:29:48 am »
....advertising towards RP-loving crowd....
Well, you miss out on those that haven't discovered what RP really is that way. Back in the days, that would have excluded me, and probably most of us.

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 11:34:46 am »
I'm not saying that we shouldn't advertise towards other groups too. I just think we'd have more success by advertising it in other ways than as an MMORPG. People have different expectations towards those.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 11:35:39 am »
You're right. We should make the difference clear to people. Also, Roled, can you share the details of what you have in mind?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:53:01 am by Donari Tyndale »

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 03:53:58 pm »
The game needs to be polished a bit more before people will take interest.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 04:15:29 pm »
The game is superior to what it was back in '07

What about using facebook or something to get the word around? Are there reasons why you wouldn't link to it on your wall? ( Don't shoot me, I don't fb. I value my privacy )

Frankly, its too bad we can't just come out with a new release that has all new art work, quests and maps. Require  all new characters and start over 500 years later in some other region of yliakum that has been spoken about, but has not yet been implemented. Hydlaa through bd could always be ressurected later on if desired.

I know, that's a huge deal and is not going to *just* happen, but that's probably the route a large company would take if they had a stale product.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:28:10 pm by Rigwyn »

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:23 pm »
merch. we need merch

planeshift: the movie
planeshift: the novel
planeshift: the colouring book
planeshift: the breakfast cereal
planeshift: the lunchbox
planeshift: the flamethrower <-- the kids love that one.
planeshift: the doll "a universe is not enough"
planeshift: the mmporg ... oh wait we have that one. let's get started on the rest.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 06:44:58 pm »
"Troll the AFK" ... I wonder who that might be.  :p

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 07:13:45 pm »
years ago there was a promo poster contest thing but i dont remember how that went over...maybe someone could design some posters or cards and if someone goes to a convention type thing pass em out

I do like that gms have been advertising events on fb and every once in a while i see the venalan or the PS twitter post sharable updates but not very often.

P.S. where is my trading card??

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 08:11:27 pm »
Haha Demagul, now I want a Siteya card, defense bonus, shoots flowers out of her arse and a sense of peace over comes you :P

Roled-I am very much in support of a marketing strategy for getting this game out there as a unique RP experience, count me in for bigger help this fall, otherwise, keep me posted as to what we can do on a less involved level, like follow posts, threads, or do posts threads, making a media list is a great start...and have a pr kit/materials available.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:13:19 pm by Siteya »

helios21

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 04:03:52 pm »
Another angle on this: A sudden influx of noobs could ruin the existing culture for those who play now and enjoy it. For those who didn't play years ago, imagine the plaza being filled with hundreds of people who have no idea about what is currently happening in the game and far more interested in figuring out where to find a dragon to kill, or in taking selfies than in blending in.

I do not agree with this. I came later too, yet I think my main char is quite well integrated meanwhile.

I think PlaneShift can easily use some more players who stay. Thats the issue *who stay* for a longer time.

It doesn´t need to be as big as other MMORPGs, but being unwelcoming and judgemental to new players is not something that I consider being helpful.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:32:32 pm by helios21 »
Helios21

Indygo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 07:30:47 am »
Is there any chance that the orientation has any correlation to the decline in numbers, at least from a standpoint of new players?  Admittedly its been a while since I ran through it but back then it would have caused me to move along... Just a thought.  How friendly is the experience for the new player that signs on for the first time?  Is it inviting and pique interest or is it cold and deterring?  The orientation at the time would have caused me to sign off and delete (even though I understand and agree with its purpose).
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 07:47:15 am »
Is there any chance that the orientation has any correlation to the decline in numbers, at least from a standpoint of new players?  Admittedly its been a while since I ran through it but back then it would have caused me to move along... Just a thought.  How friendly is the experience for the new player that signs on for the first time?  Is it inviting and pique interest or is it cold and deterring?  The orientation at the time would have caused me to sign off and delete (even though I understand and agree with its purpose).
if for orientation you mean the tutorial area it's been recently reworked to make it more nice and user friendly. We also collected feedbacks and they seemed to be positive so far. Of course we're glad to hear for new ideas to improve. Also the quest chains have been polished in order to let the player know where to go next.

Indygo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 12:26:42 pm »
I was not in any way trying to criticize the tutorial (which is what I meant by orientation), I remember when it was implemented and the reason behind it.  But I would also say it was about that time I noticed player base was on the decline.  You can only hope to retain any number of players/users for so long.  There is always going to be turn over to deal with.  I was just curious how people are being welcomed when they first log in is all.  Its good to hear it has been reworked, for the better I'm sure.  Is it welcoming and intriguing enough to make people want to complete it and enter into the Dome?  Just a thought.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)