Poll

When you RP, which camera mode do you usually use?

First Person.
1 (4.5%)
Third Person Follow.
10 (45.5%)
Free Movement.
1 (4.5%)
Dynamic Follow.
1 (4.5%)
Free Rotation.
2 (9.1%)
Eh... it's really all over the place. Depends on what I feel like using... there's no real rhyme or reason to it.
3 (13.6%)
RP? HAH! I don't RP.
0 (0%)
Well, you see... I use more than just one camera mode, though not all of them (noticed you only set one vote per user :P) *post reply to a this complicated array of camera modes*
3 (13.6%)
Not that I RP here anymore, but back in the day I would use... *posts a reply to continue this sentence*
1 (4.5%)
Huh. I used to RP here, but you know, I don't remember what camera mode I would use.
0 (0%)
I don't RP often, but when I do I use... *posts a reply to continue this sentence*
0 (0%)
O.o there are different camera modes?!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: The IG Camera Mode Preference Poll  (Read 607 times)

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
The IG Camera Mode Preference Poll
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:03:30 pm »
(Note: This is merely the version with the fixed polls... apparently there was a duplicate polling option on the previous one. Oh well.)

*Tidebringer strikes the forums with not a reply to a pre-existing thread, but a -- (wait for it) -- poll!

Yes. You read that right, folks. A poll! Perhaps even just a silly little poll.

Actually, it really is just a silly little poll, made mainly due to the urgings of some strange "Idle Curiosity". Disclaimer: a certain "Boredom" may have also had to do with the creation of this poll.

These are for your potential questions that I obviously can't even wait to answer:
  • Yes, there's only one vote per user.
  • No, this poll doesn't close.
  • Yes, you can go back and change your vote for whatever reason you can think of. ;D

I'm interested to see how it goes, and feel free to post a little reply, regardless of whether or not you selected Option 8, Option 9, or Option 11. Hope you folks out there have a little fun with this, or at least find it something worthy of a faint smirk as you browse the forums, whether or not you even still play regularly/at all.

Best wishes, and vote up! ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:08:25 pm by Tidebringer »
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Re: The IG Camera Mode Preference Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:45:41 pm »
One thing i like is the ability to orient head and legs independently.  Naysayers notwithstanding, we kran do have necks!  Kran can swivel their heads.
Comparisons of the benefits to immersion between first–person and third–person modes have been made ad nauseum many times:  first–person is more compelling, but third–person overcomes the lack of tactile and spatial awareness.

Depending upon where I'm at and what I'm doing, I will usually vary between Free Rotation and Third Person Follow.
First Person has some uses when you want to examine something — but zooming to the near end of the range will switch to some version of that anyway.

Free Movement is too detatched.  It works in SecondLife or dreams, but not when you ought to be bound to an avatar.
Sometimes I use it, of course, but only when I'm not actively using my avatar.  I don't use it to break immersion so much as to admire the sights.

Dynamic Follow just isn't reliable for me.  When I want something like that, I'll play Silent Hill.

:sorcerer:

All that being said, of course, it is better to have more functionality than less.  Taking screenshots, or making videos, is certainly a reason to keep some of these modes.
Contrary to the beliefs of some, I wouldn't consider any of these ‘bloat’ even if they were almost never used:  something is only bloated if it violates modularity to the extent of overlapping the operational scopes of other such things.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 01:07:13 am by Can-ned Food »
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:50:55 pm »
Shameless bump! ;D

I use Third Person Follow most of the time, simply because it helps me keep myself oriented but still allows me to move my character/model/avatar/whatever-you-want-to-call-that-thing about fairly naturally. However, if my character/model/avatar/etc. is sitting about or has been/will be standing in one place for a while, I usually switch to using Free Rotation, which allows me to view things from nearly every angle I could want and grants me the power to zoom in and out almost to my heart's content.

I admit that I do occasionally use First Person, but that's typically a side effect of scrolling in too much or just an attempt to get a closer look at something or other.

Free Movement is frustrating for me because I can't scroll in or out, which I have a tendency to do in an attempt to get into that Goldilocks zone of the zoom range. Other than that minor detail, it seems fairly similar to Free Rotation to me. Maybe that's why I tried to convince everyone there's not one, but two camera modes by this name.

Dynamic Follow is the camera mode that I find somewhat trippy and a little too inconsistent and detached to want to make much/any use of it.

See how easy this is? :P

All that being said, of course, it is better to have more functionality than less.  Taking screenshots, or making videos, is certainly a reason to keep some of these modes.
Contrary to the beliefs of some, I wouldn't consider any of these ‘bloat’ even if they were almost never used:  something is only bloated if it violates modularity to the extent of overlapping other such things.
I second that. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:02:44 pm by Tidebringer »

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:06:04 am »
Dynamic Follow is the camera mode that I find somewhat trippy and a little too inconsistent and detached to want to make much/any use of it.

Trippy?  Trippy?
I might say more that the Dynamic Follow camera operator is stoned at the stick or something like that.

Don't forget to stop by the Hydlaa Discotheque while you're in town.

Thinking about it a bitsy (my precious, my precious), perhaps the Dynamic mode would make a lot more sense, and better suited by the name, if it changed automatically — i.e. “dynamically”.  Vis–à–vis it would pan around to show you someone walking nearby, while attempting to also keep your target in view.
8) Yeah, great idea, Can-ned Food!

So, Dynamic Follow becomes Cinematic Follow and we get a new Dynamic Observe or something.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:31:02 pm by Can-ned Food »
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

hulla

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:33:52 am »
Hello
i usualy use the "dynamic follow" and sometimes (more when i turn on the way up on the dr ) somme other camera mode
and if i remenber you have an ad on not on the client who can give you another camera mode not official
but i forgot where he is on the web whit this mode you can see all the map from the virtual sky or zoom on your char

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 11:12:08 am »
I mostly use third person follow and that is what I voted. When sitting I sometimes switch to free rotation in order to change the view area or zoom in and out.
Love,
Damola

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 07:45:40 pm »
Not that I RP here anymore, but back in the day I would use...

Free rotation or movement, one of those, because I usually wanted to look down on my character in a way that would let me see the other characters and actually fit in the room. I was always at some odd angle so just third person view wouldn't cut it. Now that I think of it, it was mostly because of being in Kada's at floor level.

Maybe when my health decides to cooperate, I can pester everyone here more and maybe even find myself in game. :o

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:41:17 pm »
Not that I RP here anymore, but back in the day I would use...

I actually made that polling option with you in mind, Illysia. ;D

Even though he was possibly trying to hide, I know Rigwyn joined in the fun as well.
3pf always. Not being able to look around is kind of limiting.
:whistling:

It's very interesting to see what you all have to say about what camera modes you use, and I admit that I'm rather impressed this has gotten as much attention as it has. Thanks to everyone who has taken part in the polling, and I'm excited to see if/how more people will join in!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:03:42 am by Tidebringer »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 01:40:11 am »
I actually made that polling option with you in mind, Illysia. ;D

Guilty as charged. :D

However, I'm partially wondering when they gave polling options back. They took it away from the average poster for a while, way back yonder, then apparently gave it back at some point.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 03:13:30 am »
Change in mods maybe?  Not sure why one would lock down the ability to make polls.

As for the lack of a neck, yeah.. it's reason enough to not use first person view.

Hiding? No.
Sleeping? ....you never know.

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 03:39:24 pm »
i didnt do it!

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 03:41:42 pm »
http://207.244.96.64/PlaneShift/smf/index.php?topic=35075.msg402919#msg402919

This was apparently the official reason at the time, but glad to see it relaxed. *Illy remembers old stuff*

*hands Lilu pie* It's ok Lilu, no one cares if you sneaked in a change. ;D

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Pollsters and Pundits
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 11:34:39 am »
Actually, such a limitation would be reasonable if it applied to certain boards here.  E.g. anyone and their groffel should be able to post polls in General Discussion or any of the Fan Area boards, but poll–posting privileges should be limited to pertinent groups for the other boards.

Something like that.
On the whole, I rather think a Miscellany board would be better than a General Discussion, but whatever. :offtopic:
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn