Author Topic: Launcher crash when updating  (Read 1069 times)

iriss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Launcher crash when updating
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:29:46 am »
Hi

Trying to run the update on my Vista Notebook. As soon as I click on the "Yes" when asked if I want to update, the launcher crashes.

I have the newest graphic card update, added the line to the .cfg file and the elves skin is selected.

Any ideas?

By the way, I do have the same problem on my iMAC. Cannot run the update, crashes continiously here too.

Friendly replies are app reciated!  :)
Have loads of fun with Planeshift!

Ithwaynn

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Launcher crash when updating
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:45:45 am »
 to update PS use /pslaunch --console.

Marqsaynt

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:45:17 pm »
to update PS use /pslaunch --console.

Would some one mind elaborating? I seem to have the same problem running Windows 7 and would appreciate knowing exactly how to use this workaround.

Elvors

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:31:19 am »
For Windows, it would be creating a shortcut to pslaunch.exe, and modifying the command line so that it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
  "c:\....\pslaunch.exe" --console
Hmm... maybe that won't work. It depends a bit on how smart pslaunch is at detecting how it was started.
If the program just sits there and does nothing (not even open a window), you need to use the command line, which is a bit more involved and I'm too far beyond my Windows days to give reliable advice on that.

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:54:18 am »
For Windows, it would be creating a shortcut to pslaunch.exe, and modifying the command line so that it looks like this:
 "c:\....\pslaunch.exe" --console
Hmm... maybe that won't work. It depends a bit on how smart pslaunch is at detecting how it was started.
If the program just sits there and does nothing (not even open a window), you need to use the command line, which is a bit more involved and I'm too far beyond my Windows days to give reliable advice on that.

If it doesn't open console window, then start it with
command /c "c:\...\pslaunch.exe" --console (maybe newer windows need cmd instead of command).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:16:57 am by -stf- »

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 04:12:34 am »
stickies ftw!
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 04:15:14 am »
Sorry, I forgot to put the full command line into code tag, i fixed it in original post
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:19:15 am by -stf- »

Cavi

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 05:42:01 am »

Would some one mind elaborating? I seem to have the same problem running Windows 7 and would appreciate knowing exactly how to use this workaround.

I'm having the same problem, the updater crashes when I select yes concerning the new update. Also I am unable to get into PS as the whole client crashes when I try to login. Does anybody have a solution for a computer-dummie like myself?  X-/
Cavi Iskaral [Permadead]
Ardeth Angstrom: Rogue extraordinaire
Jaida Pundactum: Sister to the infamous Jacula

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 06:09:42 am »
For pslaunch: click no for updates and instead of it click on repair button, this works for me
For psclient: I have similar issue and seems it's caused by client not responding to server while compiling shaders, because I am getting the same error messages in console as for combat lag, while it is too big and client stops responding. After the shaders are successfully compiled (say 3rd try every time), the game runs fine. While the loader cache works properly, the client starts fast and runs fine at every 1st  try. What I don't know, is, that now, after latest update, the shaders are compiled always and are not stored in shadercache directory anymore (it stays empty), even if I have it enabled.
To developers: Please, fix the loader cache so it will work again as before the last update. (I don't know whether it's bug or new behavior, but it causes problems to many people). It seems that the psclient now uses file instead of directory, so deleting the shadercache directory should help (I will test it).
Edit: so I tested it, it helped but running or turning in larger areas, such as in BD, Hydlaa, Gugrontid or Winch building is now very laggy (maybe caused by compressed shadercache instead of directory as it was before?). My question for this is: Can it be configured back to previous type of uncomressed directory for shadercache or at least uncompressed file? Maybe there is also something else, I don't know. When this happens, I am getting continually errors of this type:
Fri Jan 15 00:17:27 2010, <src/client/psclientdr.cpp:267 HandleStatsUpdate SEVERE>
Fri Jan 15 00:17:27 2010, Stat request failed because CelClient not ready for EID:42607
I never had this problem before last update.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:18:54 pm by -stf- »

shervin_2.0

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:32 pm »
i'm using a XP32 and i managed to update with the repair button!!!
[a few files failed so i need to update it again!]

but my real problem is that since the last update i can't log in!
in fact i can't even see the log in page when i'm trying to play the client crashes on the first loading BEFORE the log in page!! :'( :'(
(i get a "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 005EF95F" error!!)
can some one help me??
thanks

ps: i have already added the 'treadmanager' line!
managed to log in after complete update(repair) \\o// \\o//
but i still get a 'do you want to update the game' window when i open the pslaunch
should it be there noe that the game is updated? ???
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:15:47 am by shervin_2.0 »

uggawood22

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 01:49:25 pm »
I did the --console suggestion and it ran the updater but said it couldnt remove /this/updater.log

It updated anyways so I closed out. When I tried to run planeshift without the --console it still asked if I wanted to update and crashed.