Author Topic: PS License discussion  (Read 2424 times)

Vornne

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: PS License discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 09:01:43 pm »
Finally, a point on PS builds: why have a debug vs. release build at all?  Most toolchains in use today have at least some capacity to generate debuggable optimized code...  :whistling:

Off topic a bit, but the reason I build with "--enable-debug" most of the time is so gdb (debugger) output is easy to understand... when I've compiled "optimised" the output has had quite a lot of missing information ("value optimised out"); which sometimes can be the missing piece of the puzzle when trying to track down a bug to its source. You are correct that debugging information and optimisations can be enabled separately; but for released clients it would just be a waste of space... and people that compile themselves, if they don't know what it is they don't need it.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PS License discussion
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 11:00:05 pm »
I frankly don't care how you label the game, Mesmer.  Call it what you will.  If you don't like the term Open Source, don't use it.  If you have a moral problem with dual licensing then don't play it.

I'm also sorry that there has been so much arguing about this sort of thing surrounding PS.  Many fans and others trying to help PS have done 90% of that editing and censoring.  I have argued till I was blue in the face with several of them, trying to get them to stop.  Many have heard me do it.  The only good PR for the game is to make a good game.  Splitting hairs about what label goes on what piece doesn't prove anything and probably only hurts our reputation.

Having said all that, I've been contributing code under the GPL for 8 years to this game.  10's of 1000's of lines of code.  All open source.

What has been your contribution to the OSS movement?  From whence does your sense of moral righteousness come?  I'm not questioning it--I'm just wondering why people get so passionate about this when they really have no stake in it whatsoever.